OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

first rangefinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first rangefinder
    Posted: March/30/2011 at 13:41
Im in need of my first rangefinder but only got about $200 to spend right now. I was looking at the redfield 500. Anybody got any experience with em. I will be ranging out to 500yds in the field. Is there a better rangefinder for the money?
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 13:43
What are you ranging? ie, what the size of your intended targets
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 14:09
Everything from steel to coyotes.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 14:43

I'd look at this one before I'd get the redfield personally but thats just cause the redfield is so new even though its just a generic leupold

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 17:13
I'm not sure the Redfield will range Yotes at 500 yrds, a building yes an animal ????????
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 21:45
Most range finders advertise the maximum range sighting on semi reflective targets. In the field on brown furred animals you only get about 75% of that advertised range. Sighting on targets are black like cows or bear it may only accurately read at 50% of advertised distance. I made the mistake of getting a 440 yard range finder to learn that I needed a 1000 yd range finder for my needs. The first $200 was wasted for my education. Save to get the Leica 1000 CRF and you will never be sorry.  
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 23:09
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I'd look at this one before I'd get the redfield personally but thats just cause the redfield is so new even though its just a generic leupold

I picked up one of these from a buddy. I paid the same price as on the sample list, and think it is money very well spent! I have not ranged any coyotes yet, but have ranged juniper trees at over 800yards. By the way here in AZ juniper's are rarely over 7-8 foot tall, and about that big around. It might not pick up the critter, but it will read the tree next to it.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 21:11
I went with the bushnell thanks for the advice guys. Highly appreciated.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 21:29
Good choice.

I think the Redfields use the Leupold Rangefinder technology, which is pure crap.
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 21:44
Is bushnells good to go?
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/01/2011 at 22:23
Matt, what is your preference?  Are you a Leica fan? 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2011 at 11:01
The Leicas are great, but I use a Bushnell Elite 1500.  The glass leaves something to be desired, but the ranging capabilities are impressive.
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 22:02
Thanks for the advice guys. Recieved it today and i am extremly pleased!!!
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 22:27
Which Bushnell model didi you get?  I was looking at 1000 vs 1200.  Only $40 difference, so not sure which ones to get.  
Ricky
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 11:36
I got the 800 yardage pro. if its only a $40 difference go with 1200 you will have more acurate readings at further distances, and the confidence you'll have with knowing that is worth the money. I was planning on spending a whole lot more to get a really good one. But im having my gall bladder taken out theis week and it aint cheap. But i am more than happy with my unit. It aint the best but its more than enough for anything ill use it for.
RDM17353 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDM17353 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2011 at 23:24
Thanks.  I believe I am gonna go with the Bushnell Legend 1200.  I have some time until hunting season so I will wait and see if they go on sale/
Ricky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic