OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Camo dipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camo dipping
    Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:03

Anyone had it done?  What ya think?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:04
Trays, i think, did it not to long ago... i'll search for the thread
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:05
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:09

Topic Search,who would thought.    Whacko
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:11

Been thinking of having my M70 Fwt McMillan done since it needs a paint job.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:14
Actually I was gonna seach then looked at the bottom of the page and saw the similar threads area and its the first oneWink
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:36
I've not had a firearm camo dipped, but I've had archery-related items camo dipped before and I've seen the results of other folks rifles that had been dipped.  I was satisfied with the results.

It's a pretty simple process, with moderate durability (durability is directly related to the quality of the clearcoat the supplier applies after dipping), and relatively low cost compared to other types of finishes.  Basically, a sheet of ink film is floated on top of a water tank, where the water dissolves the binder, leaving behind the graphic ink floating on top of the water.  The prepped (blasted and primer painted) part is lowered through the floating ink film, where it adheres to all contours of the part as it passes through the film.  The part is dried, then clear coated to seal in the graphics. 

The advantage of film dipping is there's a huge variety of patterns that can be applied, and the films are reproduced with good resolution and color, so when properly applied, the finish looks good.  The disadvantage is it's not quite as durable as some other finish types, there's usually a seam that doesn't match up where the edges of the film overlaps somewhere on the finished item, and there's often voids in the pattern where the film has trouble getting into.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:50

THANKS,Ted.  Someone is setting up shop within 60mi or so.  I plan on checking him and it out when he gets going.  At least now I'll know what he's talking about.  Bucky
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:58

One day, and three cans of Krylon..........Bucky LOL.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 17:08

BTDT!  I really want to see what all patterns are available.

Ya think?   Bucky
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 17:15
You better get it dipped, I don't think I could do that with krylon......... But on the other hand, if you want to send her over here, I'll try to match it.Bucky

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 17:18

Big Grin

I REALLY DO want to see patterns besides camo I think.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 17:55
Earl that is the best camo I've ever seen,I'd like to see see what it's hiding Big Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:12

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:35
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Here's a company that offers a pretty good selection of all kinds of patterns, not just camo...

http://eaglecustomgraphics.com/film.html
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:36
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Ya think?   Bucky

Unfortunately, I didn't see that among their available options...
Ted

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 05:26

It surprises the heck out of me with the options they have!!   Whacko

THANKS,Ted.  That should keep me busy.  Of course,if I decide to do this,what choices the guy has to offer may limit me some. 
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 22:42
I have had a half a dozen stocks dipped by Bell and Carlson .. super nice folks and great work .
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 04:54

Hey Scott,
  Does that add any thickness to the stock at all?
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2011 at 08:06
naah ... not of any concern ... I had the 300RUM Browning done, a T/C Omega , a 700 Remington ADL, and a pair of Vanguards.. Super work and long lasting .. It's labeled "creative effects system"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic