OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Multiscope purchase advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiscope purchase advice
    Posted: March/29/2011 at 10:32

All,

I am hoping to complete three rifles in the next year to 18months.  I say that because the project is also partiall dependent on me getting my own range put together and I have found out it takes more skill to do dirt work with a tractor than I thought.  I want to put the same scope on all three if possible to make learning how to use them eaiser.  Budget is still up in the air but if I go upto $1000 per scope it will delay getting them all put together.  My range is going to be in the neighborhood of 600 meters.  I would prefer exposed knobs, illumination I can take or leave.  I am going to use these for just about any kind of target shooting and hunting besides going into the mountians (using a Steyr mountain rifle for that) so the scopes must be durable.

Rifle #1 A heavy barrel/varmit Winchester Model 70 (post 64) in .308
Rifle #2 A FN SPR put into a custom stock in .308
Rifle #3 A Custom .338-06 on a Zastava mauser action with double set trigger and  a heavy Hart fluted barrel aprox. 24-25 inch.

I like the SS variable 3-9 but wonder if I go over 600 eventually it the 9 power will be enough (my eye are not the best).  IOR, Zeiss and others would provide more magnification options do but are at the outer range of my budget.  I have been watching for reports on the new Vipers and Bushnell 6500's and am curious about them as well.

So what others should I be looking at.  Stuff like US optics and such are just out of range.  We just moved into our new house (range will be in the back) so I have to make the house payment.  Other info needed.

Thanks

Edited by p230 - March/29/2011 at 10:36
Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 11:01
The SS 3-9 is more than able to perform at 600yds,  I use mine at that range regularly,  nothing to worry with.  Now if your talking competition shooting we need to rethink this but backyard, fun with friends, its all you'll ever need.  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 11:03
Also future SS scopes will likly have the same controls so if you changed to another SS in the future with more power, nothing new to learn.  You could even mix a 10X HD SS in the mix now and have a killer clear and great 10X fixed scope
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 12:04
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The SS 3-9 is more than able to perform at 600yds,  I use mine at that range regularly,  nothing to worry with.  Now if your talking competition shooting we need to rethink this but backyard, fun with friends, its all you'll ever need.  

Why?  Thickness of the reticle?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 12:33
I would also consider the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 12:36
Originally posted by p230 p230 wrote:

Why?  Thickness of the reticle?
normally for competition shooting you'd want as high as magnification as possible.
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:35
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I would also consider the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x.  

I am, just waiting to see how they hold up.  It is going to take me some time to put together this much cash so I can afford to take my time.
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 13:36
[/QUOTE]
normally for competition shooting you'd want as high as magnification as possible.[/QUOTE]
    I see, that makes sense.  Luckily most of the ranges around here that hold matches max out at 200 yards (at least the ones I have shot at) so I would be ok.

Thanks

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 14:27
yeah more than ok...  here is a group shot with the SS3-9 at 300yrds with a 308.... it works great, just a windy day

p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:21

yeah more than ok...  here is a group shot with the SS3-9 at 300yrds with a 308.... it works great, just a windy day

I would say that has something to do with the skill of the operator sir!  Nice shooting.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 15:33

Take practice and good glass, the rifle helps tooWink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic