OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looks like my scope is going back to Leupold again
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looks like my scope is going back to Leupold again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 22:03
Originally posted by coldhunt coldhunt wrote:

It doesn't matter how quick the service is if the scope fails while on a hunt. Leupold service is good, but again that is just about all people talk about. I would prefer to have the confidence of reliability.
my thoughts exactly.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 01:24
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

It doesn't matter how quick the service is if the scope fails while on a hunt. Leupold service is good, but again that is just about all people talk about. I would prefer to have the confidence of reliability.
my thoughts exactly.

There is a lot of talk about Leupold has a good warranty, good service etc, but shooters rather want good reliability then good service. I would like to hear where a Leupold "failed"on a hunt.

I will throw down the gauntlet and say that Leupold is as reliable and well made as any other mid to high priced scope. To say that Leupold has more problems is rubbish.

In South Africa Leupold seems to be well priced against other scopes and a lot of shooters use them. In competitions the top shooters use them etc. There are minimal problems with the Leupolds and most problems are caused by abuse from the user.

I will buy the argument that in the USA Leupold is overpriced against similiar scopes, but $$$ aside, they are as good as their competitors.
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 03:02
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

Originally posted by Vermin93 Vermin93 wrote:

I would chuck that relic and get a new 3-9 like one of the 4200's that's on closeout for $199 or one of the Nitrex TR One's that can be found for $150 or a FFII for $180.  No sense it continuing to throw time and money down the drain.  
I've thought about it, but I just can't find anything I think would look all that great on it. I really like a glossy scope on it and I had the Leupold laying around so I figured I'd use it for a while since I had it. I may just throw my $30 Bushnell package deal scope I have on it, but I'm not sure that would hold up more than a few shots on this rifle.

I also like the look of glossy scopes on glossy rifles.  Here are two suggestions for you:

- If you search online, you can find a new Sightron Big Sky SII 3-9x42 with glossy finish for $320 (model SIIB3942GL).  SWFA should price match that deal.  There is a 75$ rebate from Sightron if you buy it by March 31, so you need to act fast.  The rebate makes the scope only $245.   That is an absolutely killer deal on an awesome Big Sky scope.  The Big Sky will blow that Vari X II out of the water. 

- If you want a less expensive, but still good option then you can find a Nitrex TR One 3-9x42 with glossy finish on closeout for only $140.  The scope is made by Weaver and is essentially a repackaged Weaver Grand Slam, which is a very respectable scope.  It's not as nice as the Big Sky, but for the closeout price of $140 it is a very good deal. 

Good luck with the Leupold. 

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 06:01
Man you are snakebitten on scopes. Sorry to read about you new travail.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 08:28
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Bushnell and Sightron both make a glossy scope that are in one of the better lines.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-Rifle-Scope-P48263.aspx

http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9157.aspx

gloss is for lips, not for scopesWink
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rude Robert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rude Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 08:36
I wonder if i can take my Leupold back to Bass P....,I haven't mounted it yet, i for one don't want in problems with it.  I have a Leupold 3x9x50mm on my odd 6 and it is 5 yrs on the rifle.  I know quality changes though?  
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Bushnell and Sightron both make a glossy scope that are in one of the better lines.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-Rifle-Scope-P48263.aspx

http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9157.aspx

gloss is for lips, not for scopesWink

Nah. I've got a little, glossy Leupy on a .243 low wall with glossy metal....looks rather nifty.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 11:15
Well, Leupold was supposed to be emailing me a ups label and told me I'd get it by yesterday afternoon. Guess what? Still no email with the UPS label. I guess I will be giving them a call again this afternoon to see what's going on.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 11:16
Just from experience it can take up to 48hrs once they put the order in for a UPS emailed shipping label..... this is with most companies, i imagine they are the same
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 11:44
Originally posted by Rude Robert Rude Robert wrote:

I wonder if i can take my Leupold back to Bass P....,I haven't mounted it yet, i for one don't want in problems with it.  I have a Leupold 3x9x50mm on my odd 6 and it is 5 yrs on the rifle.  I know quality changes though?  

Keep your Leupold, there is nothing wrong with them.
Rude Robert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rude Robert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 17:22
Okay, I just don't want to mount it and then not be able to take it back.  I just ordered a couple days ago a Larue mount for it
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 18:34
Okay, the good news is I did get the shipping label this afternoon. I just need to get it packed up so I can send it out tomorrow.
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 20:57
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

my thoughts exactly.

There is a lot of talk about Leupold has a good warranty, good service etc, but shooters rather want good reliability then good service. I would like to hear where a Leupold "failed"on a hunt.

I will throw down the gauntlet and say that Leupold is as reliable and well made as any other mid to high priced scope. To say that Leupold has more problems is rubbish.

In South Africa Leupold seems to be well priced against other scopes and a lot of shooters use them. In competitions the top shooters use them etc. There are minimal problems with the Leupolds and most problems are caused by abuse from the user.

I will buy the argument that in the USA Leupold is overpriced against similiar scopes, but $$$ aside, they are as good as their competitors.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 21:00
That would depend entirely upon what competitor.  And even more importantly what specific scopes being compared.

Edited by supertool73 - March/30/2011 at 21:01
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2011 at 21:08

my thoughts exactly.

Sorry i was on the phone. I am just going by my own knowlege of friends' experiences, which by the way they also only talked about the service. Other than that my take is that they are also over priced. I just don't see the draw, when their is better glass for similar price, that seems to need less service. Again I am not knocking any product. Simply making an observation, based on my own opinion.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 02:58
Busting the Leupold poor quality myth....I have just returned from our local Leupold agent and put the concerns raised in this thread to him.

Firstly, forget about the value for money argument...that is a separate argument and I accept that in the USA you can buy better value for money. End of that argument.

Purely on quality...
99% of the scopes that comes in for repairs are user abuse related. The user fell and broke the scope, his vehicle went over it, it dropped from his hands type of stuff. And postage damage stuff.
The other 1% relates to older scopes with weak erector springs having lost tension and causing point of impact shifts.
There are a group of 17 benchrest shooters part of our South African team. 16 of them use Leupold and our team can hold its own against the best in the world.
He has had one case where a guy has had 3 bad Leupolds in a row...just Murphy'sLaw stuff.!!!

He has seen some of the most expensive scopes (not Leupold) with basic problems such as rain water getting into the main tube etc.

So yes Leupold gets a lot of repairs because a lot are sold, but on a percentage basis it holds its own. Take away user abuse and quality issues are minimal.

slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2011 at 08:40

Busting the Leupold poor quality myth....I have just returned from our local Leupold agent and put the concerns raised in this thread to him.

Firstly, forget about the value for money argument...that is a separate argument and I accept that in the USA you can buy better value for money. End of that argument.

Purely on quality...
99% of the scopes that comes in for repairs are user abuse related. The user fell and broke the scope, his vehicle went over it, it dropped from his hands type of stuff. And postage damage stuff.
The other 1% relates to older scopes with weak erector springs having lost tension and causing point of impact shifts.
There are a group of 17 benchrest shooters part of our South African team. 16 of them use Leupold and our team can hold its own against the best in the world.
He has had one case where a guy has had 3 bad Leupolds in a row...just Murphy'sLaw stuff.!!!

He has seen some of the most expensive scopes (not Leupold) with basic problems such as rain water getting into the main tube etc.

So yes Leupold gets a lot of repairs because a lot are sold, but on a percentage basis it holds its own. Take away user abuse and quality issues are minimal.

I'm sure that there is a large percentage of scopes like this that do come in for repair. However, I'm also sure that if a scope sends a scope in for having a piece of debris inside of it on an internal lens, that you shouldn't send it back with even more debris than it came in with, no matter how old it should be.

I can't say if this scope has been abused or not since I didn't buy it new. However, from looking at it and seeing the 1 tiny scratch on it, I highly doubt it's been but so abused.

The first scope I bought, I know hadn't been abused as I bought it brand new and it basically sat in a on the gun in the house all year. When I took it out to go to hunt with it, it would shoot 2 or 3 shots then it was like it would adjust itself and shoot somewhere totally different. Over and over.

The other one, I know hadn't been abused either as I know the guy that owned it, and I hunt with him a lot. While he may not take as good of care as some should, he didn't abuse it either.

So to me that doesn't really apply with these three.
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2011 at 04:35
Another reason that a lot of people return their scopes to Leupold is because they can.  It is just a lot easier to return a scope to Leupold than a lot (most) of the other companies.  They simply don't give you the hassle that most of the other companies do compared to Leupold.  
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 16:02
Well, I have to give Leupold major credit for the the repair this time. I was originally told a 3.5 week turn around time and was a little disappointed. I did include a letter explaining out of 5 Leupolds I've had, this is the 3rd one that's needed repair. I wasn't going to mention this, but I had many people tell me I should, so I did, but in a nice fashion. So anyway I sent it in and it arrived on April 7th. To my surprise when I got home yesterday on April 13, it was waiting for me at the house. I'd actually told myself I was going to call on the 14th just to check on the status, but it was back here a day earlier. It just really shocked me how fast it was. I've never had service anywhere near this fast from them, or anyone else really. It seems to take about 4-5 days to get there via UPS, so they must have fixed it and gotten it back out right away. I'm extremely impressed with the turn around time this time, and looking through the scope it appears to have all dirt and dust removed. They really treated me well this time, and I just wanted to update the thread to let everyone know it wasn't the 3.5 week turn around I was told, but instead, I had it back less than a week after they received it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this scope or sell it. I really kind of like it, but at the same time I don't have a rifle to put it on as I've bought several scopes lately and no new guns.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2011 at 16:06
I would sell it and be done with them.  3 out of 5 is not very good in their favor.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic