OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hybrid Dream Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrid Dream Scope
    Posted: March/28/2011 at 19:14
Anyone else have trouble finding a big game scope with all the features you like in the same package?
In this fun post you get to combine options from all makers to make your dream scope.
Even though it's just a dream try to keep it practical.
Maybe some scope designers will see this and help us out.
Just because I'm the OP I get to start. My big game dream scope is,

1) Zeiss Conquest quality glass (good enough for me)
2) 6.5x erector range ( proven can be done)
3) 30mm tube, 42mm objective
4) 2.15-14x magnification
5) Trijicon style illumination
6) 4A reticle with ill. dot
7) Low profile pop up turrets with zero stop and high speed. Customized dials. MOA OK
8) Low profile side focus
9) 4" minimum eye relief
10) Rainguard style lens coating
11) Rubber rim on ocular lens
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 19:21
Easy for me. A lighter verison of the Elite 2.5-10x40 with a touch more ER.
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 19:27
WYcoyote order one for me too, but I want a couple more reticle options, and lots of elevation, and wind adjustment. Oh ya and under 20 oz.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:16
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

Anyone else have trouble finding a big game scope with all the features you like in the same package?
In this fun post you get to combine options from all makers to make your dream scope.
Even though it's just a dream try to keep it practical.
Maybe some scope designers will see this and help us out.
Just because I'm the OP I get to start. My big game dream scope is,

1) Zeiss Conquest quality glass (good enough for me)
2) 6.5x erector range ( proven can be done)
3) 30mm tube, 42mm objective
4) 2.15-14x magnification
5) Trijicon style illumination
6) 4A reticle with ill. dot
7) Low profile pop up turrets with zero stop and high speed. Customized dials. MOA OK
8) Low profile side focus
9) 4" minimum eye relief
10) Rainguard style lens coating
11) Rubber rim on ocular lens
That one would be just fine by me!
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 08:53
My dream scope is as follows:

1) Contrast, resolution and low light performance of a Kahles.
2) Non-critical eye placement and eye relief of a 2.5x Leupold.
4) True 1x on the low end to 4x or above on top.
3) Minimal variation in eye relief low to high.
3) Trijicon post reticle and fiber optic/tritium illumination.
3) Rainguard style lens coating.
4) 1" tube.
6) Less than 10 ounces in weight.
&) At least 6" inches of mounting length.
7) Less than $500.

That would do it for me.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 09:53
I want a Zeiss Conquest in a smaller, lighter configuration.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 09:58
Trijicon illumination is a patented technology, so it is only available through Trijicon.  Unless they fullfill the rest of your specs, you are out of luck.

In my case, I've got a couple of dream scope coming my way at the end of April/beginning of May.

The other one is still in the works.  It is one of the upcoming Super Sniper scopes and I am willing to wait for that.

ILya 

bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 10:28
Koshkin,

Sorry; should have said reticle like the Trijicon post with illumination. We are dreaming after all, aren't we?

Are either of your dream scopes of the 1-4 variety? Do you think any other manufacturers are looking into light, 1" tube low power variables in the future?

BB
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 10:50
Originally posted by bberg7794 bberg7794 wrote:

Koshkin,

Sorry; should have said reticle like the Trijicon post with illumination. We are dreaming after all, aren't we?

Are either of your dream scopes of the 1-4 variety? Do you think any other manufacturers are looking into light, 1" tube low power variables in the future?

BB

I do not think you will see a whole lot of 1" tube low range variable going forward.  On the plus side, a lot of 30mm tube scopes of this type are not very heavy.

There is a trend toward higher erector ratios and they often need a little more space.

As for your dream scope, aren't there some 2-12x42 or similar scopes out there that fit most of you requirements?

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 11:20
bberg7794 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bberg7794 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 11:31
Thanks for the recommendations-I didn't mean to hijack the Dream Scope thread.

It seems the low fixed power and low variable power market is shrinking daily, but that is what I'm looking for since they are lightweight. PM sent.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 11:46
add in enough elevation adjustment range to get me way out there with sturdy, repeatable turrets...
and why not go for an 8x erector? 1.5-12x yeehaw
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:33
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

I second this.  I'd be more than happy if the 3-9x40 had just another 1/2" of eye relief too- especially at the price I got one at.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:40
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

I second this.  I'd be more than happy if the 3-9x40 had just another 1/2" of eye relief too- especially at the price I got one at.

If you want a 3-9x40 with gobs of eyerelief, try Minox ZA-3 3-9x40.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:41
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

add in enough elevation adjustment range to get me way out there with sturdy, repeatable turrets...
and why not go for an 8x erector? 1.5-12x yeehaw

It sounds like you are thinking of March 2.5-25x42 with SFP reticle or 3-24x42 with FFP reticle.

I tested both in the past (see the two "High End Tactical" articles I wrote).

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 16:57
IL ya, I see that the new Elite line has a nice shorty version called the 3-10x40 that would be fantastic on short action rifles. The ER is listed at 3.7 inches which is all that's needed for me for my current line-up of bolt guns. If you look at the "new" Elite line, it's easy to see which models were previously 3200's and 4200's. This particular model was in the 3200 line, but I see that it carries 4200 pricing and according to the specs it appears to be unchanged from it's 3200 origin. SWFA states it costs $399 which as you know is 4200 territory. I wonder if that's correct pricing as it is a 3X zoom erector and I can't see that there have been any other upgrades that would boost the price that much. Wish that scope had the Firefly (or Bushnell's 3-2-1 "Lowlight reticle" as an option as I just sold my last Leupold VAX III in 1.75-X from my muzzle loader. The other scope I'd like to see resurrected was the 4200 1.5-6x36 w/Firefly or 3-2-1 LL reticle, again with a slight increase in ER.

Edited by Roy Finn - March/29/2011 at 20:37
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 17:34
Ilya now you went & did it,was that some sort of a tease about the dream SS? I'm thinking Illum.5-20x44 FFl under $1500 Yippee
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:06
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Yup ILya, this comes pretty close to my dream scope, and have been seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on it for a while. I would rather dial up the elevation and leave the reticle less cluttered, and a 4A when not lit, but I bet I could make it work
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:15
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Ilya now you went & did it,was that some sort of a tease about the dream SS? I'm thinking Illum.5-20x44 FFl under $1500 Yippee

I assure you it was absolutely unintentional Devil

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2011 at 18:18

IL ya, I see that the new Elite line has a nice shorty version called the 3-Cox that would be fantastic on short action rifles. The ER is listed at 3.7 inches which is all that's needed for me for my current Lin-up of bolt guns. If you look at the "new" Elite line, it's easy to see which models were previously W's and W's. This particular model was in the 3200 line, but I see that it carries 4200 pricing and according to the specs it appears to be unchanged from it's 3200 origin. SW FA states it costs $399 which as you know is 4200 territory. I wonder if that's correct pricing as it is a X zoom erector and I can't see that there have been any other upgrades that would boost the price that much. Wish that scope had the Firefly (or Bushnell's 3-2-1 "Lowlight reticle" as an option as I just sold my last Leupold VAX III in 1.75-X from my muzzle loader. The other scope I'd like to see resurrected was the 4200 1.5-X w/Firefly or 3-2-1 LL reticle, again with a slight increase in ER.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that being in the Elite 3200 line earlier as one of the "Short Action" scopes or something along those line.  I would verify that it is up to Elite 4200 optical standards first.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic