OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting backpacks - What do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wapiti1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 08:01
Bitterroot,

Is the Kuiu up to hauling elk quarters?  I looked at their setup a year or so ago, and wasn't sure how it would handle 70-80 pounds of meat.  As a general pack, I really liked the lightweight setup.  I haven't seen one in person, though. 

I have been very happy with my Crewcab.  3 years, 3 elk, and it still looks brand new. 

Your Truly,
Cotton

Game animals were probably harmed whenever I did whatever it was that I did.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 08:09
I haven't used it with an elk quarter yet, but I have had 80 pounds plus in it. It feels like it can handle a lot more. I know it was designed with sheep hunters in mind. The goal was to get an entire boned sheep and trophy out along with an entire camp.

Last year the elk quarters were in the J104.

This year I will find out how it does with a really heavy load.

I also really like the look of the Kifaru Duplex and Timberline series for lightweight packs that haul heavy loads.
-Matt
Wapiti1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wapiti1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 19:47
I took a long look at the Kifaru Longhunter Hauler and would have bought it.  However, my wife saved me the trouble when my crewcab showed up under the christmas tree. 

Hope that you get to put that Kuiu to work this fall. 
Your Truly,
Cotton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 20:25
Originally posted by Wapiti1 Wapiti1 wrote:

No need to hope, friend.  It WILL get done.
-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 21:19
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by Wapiti1 Wapiti1 wrote:

No need to hope, friend.  It WILL get done.
No elk tag for me this year. But hopefully I can draw a mulie tag!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 10:47
Something I'm trying this yr for bow hunting. Thought I'd throw it up here since ya'll are talkin packs.
The "Bowbat" Key in the prod.# in most major suppliers and you should find it.

Game Plan Gear BowBat XL Bow Pack Polyester
Product Family #: 3147215485

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 11:00
That looks like a pretty neat system Sarge, for getting your stuff to your stand.

I don't think it is for haulin' elk quarters, though!

-Matt
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 13:36
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

That looks like a pretty neat system Sarge, for getting your stuff to your stand.

I don't think it is for haulin' elk quarters, though!

Shocked

ELK QUARTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought thats what mules and Z71's were for. Besides I figured if I ever got up to Idaho and bagged one I'd get Helo to air lift it out for me. All I'll have to do is keep the bear off of em till their hooked up.

The bowbat is cool though. Lots of pockets-n-straps. Plus wraps around the tree and keeps everything right handy.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2012 at 20:38
Right now I have a 5.11 Rush 72 which works ok.  Tend to take too much "stuff" along.  I have a Gunslinger II on order which I'll use this fall.
Wapiti1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wapiti1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2012 at 20:31
The bowbat looks interesting.  I scrapped hunting backpacks in Indiana and use a turkey vest instead.  For some stupid reason, I carry more stuff whitetail hunting in Indiana that I do elk hunting back home in Montana.  Or hunting turkeys for that matter.  Maybe I am easily drawn in by gimmicks?

Let us know how it works out.  My wife would love to see me bring home another piece of hunting gear. 

Your Truly,
Cotton

Wapiti1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wapiti1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2012 at 20:35
Fire,

Have you inspected that pack in person?  How does the suspension attach on the Gunslinger?  It looks like the rifle would be digging into your spine all day.  I am probably wrong.

If it works well, it is a nice system for a long hike in.

Your Truly,
Cotton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2012 at 21:14
Wapiti1,

The gunslinger uses the same gunscabbard feature the Just One pack I started this thread about uses.  It is an extremely comfortable and convenient way to carry a rifle.

The only issue with Eberlestock backpacks are the models used for backpacking (like the Just One series) don't have functional load lifters, and so they strain your shoulders under really heavy loads (like elk quarters).

The Gunslinger is a daypack model, well thought out, and durably made.  It is a very nice pack.

The gunscabbard feature is awesome.
-Matt
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2012 at 20:43
Yes, I have seen the Gunslinger II in person.  A good buddy of mine is on the SWAT team and uses it on callouts for his gear and rifle.  He also has a Eberlestock Operator, but that's too big of a pack for my uses.

I got in on a group buy for the GS2 - the price was right, so I put in an order.  Just got word today - the GS2 has been on backorder since this past December - that there won't be any in stock until at least August.  Sucks, but I've been impressed by the pack and am willing to wait.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic