OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pay Attention

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pay Attention
    Posted: March/28/2011 at 11:22
We all know we have to pay attention to the details when reloading.  This includes making sure the brass in the bag is the same on the label.

I had orders some Winchester .204 brass and this past Sunday afternoon I was doing prep work while the wife and kids took a nap.  The brass was new and in sealed bags.  My procedure is to dump a bag out on the cardboard lid.  The lid is white and off of a box that a case of paper comes in.  I use this because it is large enough 12"x 24", has 1.5" sides so shells can't roll away, and with the white background it allows me to visually inspect them.  I had 5 bags done and when I dumped out the 6th, I noticed one shell looked different, it was much larger.  When I looked at the head, it was stamped 6.5x55.  Compared to a .204, it is very different.  Had I not noticed then, I would not have been able to use the small primer reamer, nor would it have fit in the .204 dies so I would have found it somewhere along the line.

Just a reminder to double check.

Now Ted, if I use this as an excuse to purchase a rifle in 6.5 x 55 do I win a prize?
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 11:26
Prize will be yours and Ed will pick it out if you can pull it off
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 11:33
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

We all know we have to pay attention to the details when reloading.  This includes making sure the brass in the bag is the same on the label.

I had orders some Winchester .204 brass and this past Sunday afternoon I was doing prep work while the wife and kids took a nap.  The brass was new and in sealed bags.  My procedure is to dump a bag out on the cardboard lid.  The lid is white and off of a box that a case of paper comes in.  I use this because it is large enough 12"x 24", has 1.5" sides so shells can't roll away, and with the white background it allows me to visually inspect them.  I had 5 bags done and when I dumped out the 6th, I noticed one shell looked different, it was much larger.  When I looked at the head, it was stamped 6.5x55.  Compared to a .204, it is very different.  Had I not noticed then, I would not have been able to use the small primer reamer, nor would it have fit in the .204 dies so I would have found it somewhere along the line.

Just a reminder to double check.

Now Ted, if I use this as an excuse to purchase a rifle in 6.5 x 55 do I win a prize?

only if you find one in winchester m70 featherweight.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 13:06
Pyro I know where there is one of those but, he won't sell it to me Sad
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 13:09
i saw one at a gun show 2-3 yrs ago, nib, and like an idiot i passed on it. instead i bought oprah
my .375H&H
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 13:31
M70 FW.  Right.  Better luck getting struck by lightning.  Would be a nice rifle.

I'd take a gift from ED.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

I'd take a gift from ED.
You are a brave man!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:11
Try almost anything once!

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:12
some things anitbiotics can't cure SD,  you still sure you want?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:18
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:35
very nice
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:46
That is a beauty Pyro.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:55
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

here you go big fellars.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221437280Excellent

That is a nice stick.
-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 16:55
she can be all your's johnny Light It Up
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 17:06
We'll see.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic