OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-R Question's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-R Question's
    Posted: March/27/2011 at 23:25
I purchased the 4 X 12 X 50 VX-R with the ballistic firedot.  I mounted it on my 25-06 and sighted in in Friday evening.  I haven't had an opportunity to do much with it to match up the ballistic hatch marks nor have I calibrated the size of the circle at any set power yet.  I did not have another scope there to directly compare the reticle size to...but it appears to me to be about the same thickness of the heavy portion of the  vari x III "fine" duplex.  The dot is not visible when not illuminated, but when illuminated, it just covers a .25 inch hole at 100 yards. That is the smallest illuminated dot I've seen (I have not had the opportunity to look thru any high dollar illuminated dots though).

Sorry I'm not much help, and I'm heading out of town for work so I won't get to mess with it for the next couple of weeks.

Scott
boltgun71 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boltgun71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 07:20
I have a few questions for those of you who have used or looked through the VX-R line of scopes, especially the 4-12x40mm with Ballistic Firedot reticle.

How would you describe the crosshair thickness, for example compared to that of a standard duplex and fine duplex reticle?  Experience with the crosshair thickness of the Ballistic Firedot at 12x would be particuarly valuable to me.  Thickness provided in MOA is especially valuable.

For anyone who has used the holdover marks on the Ballistic Firedot reticle, how well did they actually match up with your particular rifle/caliber at distance?

What is your opinion of the fast focus eye piece?  Do you think it will be sufficient enough to focus on targets from 50 to 600yds?

Any information from actual hands-on experience is greatly appreciatted, especially those who have looked through or used the VX-R 4-12x40mm or any model with the Ballistic Firedot reticle.  Thank you in advance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic