OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where do I find how tight to tighten scope rings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where do I find how tight to tighten scope rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoahbodyImportant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do I find how tight to tighten scope rings?
    Posted: March/26/2011 at 06:26
I have the SWFA SS medium rings with Sightron S3 8-32x56 on the Savage 12 F/TR.

How many inch/pounds do I tighten the rings to the scope?  Where should I find that information?

Thank You

Secretary, Alliance Rifle Club and Ohio-Penn League
Savage 12 F/TR, EGW HD F-Class 20moa scope mount, SWFA SS 30mm medium rings, Sightron SIII 8-32x56
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 11:43
Contact the manf..
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 12:04
take a little allen wrench an L shaped one using the small end of it to hold go finger tight should do the job
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 12:14
Otherwise Commonly used screw diameters qt threads from 0.157" - 0.164" would be right around 25 in lbs of torque if your screws are smaller (0.131" - 0.138") 20 in lbs Hope that helps.. Dont forget your purple locktite Wink
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 13:15
Originally posted by Rothstein1987 Rothstein1987 wrote:

Otherwise Commonly used screw diameters qt threads from 0.157" - 0.164" would be right around 25 in lbs of torque if your screws are smaller (0.131" - 0.138") 20 in lbs Hope that helps.. Dont forget your purple locktite Wink

As stated...INCH pounds.  Wink
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 13:42
25 - 30 inch pounds is almost always a safe bet.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 15:05
FYI if you are going to stick around this site for any length of time you might want to invest in a torque wrench...very important to get the lbs.correct. & you will more than  likely start purchasing more scopes[a good reason to buy more rifles]Big Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 18:49
Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$21.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic