OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which high power scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which high power scope?
    Posted: March/25/2011 at 23:42
I'm thinking of upgrading to a high powered scope for my .22. I do 100% target shooting with it, so it won't be used for hunting or anything else, so size and weight doesn't really matter.  A friend has an older Simmons Prairie Master 8-32x44 that was made in Japan with a fine dot crosshair. I was checking this thing out and it would be just about perfect for my uses so I was thinking something along these lines. He told me he'd sell me his, but he wanted $100 which I just felt was to high for a used Simmons and it had really bad ring marks on it in 2 spots where it had been mounted twice. My worry is most of the newer Simmons, Tasco, etc scopes that are reasonably priced and high power are made in China now and I'm just not sure if the quality is there. I want something with decent glass. It doesn't have to be anything that is going to be great in low light or anything, but it needs to be decent and useable in the daytime. I don't want something that's absolutely horrible. The above Simmons was plenty good imo for what I'd use it for. I also would like something that I'm not going to have to replace 5 years down the road. I'd like it to last.

As for the power range, I really like the 8-32 range, but I could settle for a 6-24 I guess. I'm not willing to go any less than 24 on the top end, and I really don't want to go with 24 on the top end. I've tried several 4-16's and 4.5-14's and imo for what I'm wanting it's no where near as much power as I'd like. I also want an adjustable objective, but that seems standard on most of these.

Now I'm not used to buy cheap optics in high powers, but I'm also not willing to spend $1000 for a higher powered Burris or Leupold, not to mention I'm just not seeing what I want from anyone other than the cheaper companies. I'm also not willing to give BSA a try at all, but that's the only brand I really feel like I won't buy. I'm open to other suggestions. I'd really like to keep this in the $200 or under range. Preferably under, as like I said this is a .22 that it's going on, so I hate to spend $4-500 or more to put it on a $150 rifle with minimal recoil.

So far these are the few I've considered.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-8-32x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13299.aspx
http://swfa.com/Tasco-10-40x50-Target-Varmint-Riflescope-P4507.aspx
http://swfa.com/Mueller-8-32x44-Target-Dot-30mm-Riflescope-P42358.aspx

The Tasco there really has my eye. Is it decent or pure crap? Any other suggestions or am I best off to just stay away from these optics unless I find a used older Simmons or Tasco from Japan? That Simmons really impressed me, I just hate to pay $100 for a used Simmons that's who knows how many years old. I'd guess at least 6-8, and it had horrible ring marks that you could feel in the tube. It definitely wasn't mounted properly at all, but the glass was pretty good actually.

Edited by slowr1der - March/25/2011 at 23:45
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 08:30
Take a look at the Hawke 6-24x44 MD ret.with side focus @ $179.95 on SWFA.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 10:08
Thanks, I will check it out. 
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2011 at 09:35
All of your selections are interesting and that Tasco has everything you asked for.
AO/side focus is a big plus for rimfire, but everything in that mag range is likely equipped.
30mm scopes might limit ring selection.
Vortex scopes and customer service are well respected. The Vortex' 6-24  (1" tube) little brother is on sale for $99. Koshkin and others speak highly of Hawke optics.

I don't own any of the models mentioned so can't speak to their quality/durability.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic