OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for hunting in Alaska **300 WIN MAG***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coloradohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for hunting in Alaska **300 WIN MAG***
    Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:32
I am going Black Bear hunting in Alaska in May and was wondering what scope recommendation anyone would have.  I live in Colorado and also do a lot of Elk hunting.  I was wondering what Power and what Brand you would select.

Thanks in advance.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:33
Budget?
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:36

the golden questioin.  we need to know so we can recommend teh best options in your price range

coloradohunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coloradohunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:59
Would like to stay under $800 if possible.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 23:00
Swaro Z3, on sale til the end of March I think
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 23:23
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40812.aspx

Yep... I've got a week left to decide if I'm gonna do the same thing..
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 06:50
Ditto on the Swaro Z3 ..
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 07:35
The Z3 would be an excellent choice, as would a bushnell 4200. While the 4200 can't match the Z3 optically, it does have rain guard and that maybe beneficial in Alaska.  Either way a typical 3-9x40 or similar configuration is where I'd look.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 07:59
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

The Z3 would be an excellent choice, as would a bushnell 4200. While the 4200 can't match the Z3 optically, it does have rain guard and that maybe beneficial in Alaska.  Either way a typical 3-9x40 or similar configuration is where I'd look.

i agree totally jeff, alaska aint like hunting in arizona. its usually wet and generally miserable up there, i want something thats proven to be tough. as much as i would love to own a z3, i would really be hesitant to take it on a trip where im chasing animals that could potentially chase me back. maybe im paranoid, but i would probably save some money, buy a 3x9 4200 elite. take the money you saved, and spend it on ammo to practice up with, or buy a damn good pair of boots.Big Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 08:11
http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9158.aspx

Would also be a good choice. This scope has a hydrophobic lens coating like the 4200 elite but has much better eye relief, a very forgiving eye-box, and easily re-settable adjustment turrets. I have two of these (and a 3-12 on the way) and IMO if you want to get much better than these the Z3 is the next step. Sightron also has a $75.00 rebate until March 31st.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 08:16
I won't try to tell you what you should do, but I'll tell you what I would do.  Going bear hunting... in some of the last true wilderness left on the planet... I would want something proven TOUGH.  I would probably first consider a fixed 4x (not necessarily choose it, but consider it), but if I chose a variable, I would choose the Super Sniper 3-9 (or perhaps the 1-4).  Why?  I am not a great fan of the 3-9 magnification range, but I know tough and dependable and the 3-9 SS is both of those.  It has great glass and is durable.  Hunting the most dangerous creatures on North American soil (if you take "man" out of the equation), I want those things in my optics.  I am confident that with the 3-9 SS, I would be able to "make the necessary shot".  I think that is a mandatory requirement when hunting things that can and do hunt you back...
I like Swaro stuff, but if my life is at stake, it will take a back seat to the SS...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 11:10
Another decent option would be the accupoint 3-9 the no way to fail illumination would be a good assurance when encountering dangerous game,  the 2.5-10x56 would be better in low light but is heavier
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 11:53
For this application, a decent 3-9x42 or 1.5-6x42 or something along these lines is probably the best way to go.

The rest really comes down to the specific preferences you have.

In order to come up with a recommendation, I have to make a few assumptions:
-You are shooting at fairly large targets, so you do not a whole lot of magnification
-You are not going to shoot at very long distances (let's say 250 yards or, preferably, less)
-Your rifle has a fair amount of felt recoil
-There is a good chance you will end up shooting from rather sub-optimal field positions
-You are going to be in rather rough terrain far from the nearest gun store
-You are likely to encounter some difficult lighting conditions

With all that in mind, I would suggest utilizing a slightly different approach.
First of all, I think it is worth your while to have two scopes set up in quality detachable mounts for this rifle.  One primary scopes and one back up.  A back-up scope should be something that is both very light and very durable.
Both scopes should have plenty of eyerelief.
Both scopes should have thick and visible reticles (whether illuminated or not).
Both scopes should be set up in identical rings for part interchangeability and consistency of cheek weld.

Scope 1: Any one of the excellent 3-9x40 scopes that retail in the $400 range: Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, Minox ZA-3 3-9x40, Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42 are good examples.  All three have ~4" of eyerelief (or more)

Scope 2: Leupold FX-II 2.5x20 with Heavy Duplex reticle: ~$270

Another scenario would be to stick with two scopes of similar configurations, for even more consistency:
Scope 1: Minox ZA-5 1.5-8x32 with #4 reticle for ~$480 (I am testing one now and like it):

Scope 2: Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for ~$170

Which ever route you choose to go, make sure you've got these set up in quality mounts.  There, different people prefer different things.  Some swear by Talley, while others like something else.
I've had good luck with Warne and TPS among others.  In this case, Warne Maxima QD rings would make for a good option:

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 12:53
Definitely good advice. I am anxiously awaiting the review of the 1.5-8X32 Minox. That scope to me has a lot of potential for being one heck of a good all around hunting scope.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 13:07

For me it would definately be a Trijicon either an accupoint or a compact ACOG because the tritium illumination is always turned on and ready even in the middle of the night when preditors come after you.

Trijicon 1.5x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 1.5x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA45R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR243G
  • Matte
  • German #4 Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$844.95
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR222G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
$870.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 13:15
It is difficult to get a proper mount height on an ACOG for a typical boltgun.

Personally, since I am not a fan of getting hit in the eye with a scope, I would stay away from an ACOG for this application.

ILya
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 13:18
I am thinking that you are much like me. You would like one scope which will give you low power, big FOV, and fast target aquisition, for the bear, as well as high power for some of those long elk shots. I have scratched a bald spot in my head over this, and I will be very interested in hearing about your choice.
Duke614 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke614 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 13:33
Did all my Alaska research and ended up with a 1.75-6x VX III on my .375 Ruger.

Would love an Accupoint in 1.75-8 or 9x with about a 40mm objective though :)
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 13:42
My Alaskan rifle wears a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56, it is incredibly clear and bright and the water-shedding coating works great.

It costs a little more than your budget, but I highly recommend.

After that, the SS3-9 would work fine, and the Swaro is always a winner (I have a few of the Swaro's and the image quality is fantastic.)

As Kickboxer said, nothing sucks more than gear that breaks at the worst possible time.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 13:50
Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 is a hard choice to beat. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic