OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss
    Posted: March/24/2011 at 16:45
G'Day fellas.

Just bought the 3-9X50 Z600 off this site, to fit on a Sako 30-06; except it won't.

On the rather expensive Sako rings & mounts the rings seat by a ball into the mount, front and rear. The scope tube is 12.36 long and is 1/8th of an inch short to sit parallel to the rifle at the rear, touches the rear mount; lifting it about six degrees at the rear. Obviously I didn't tighten that down.

I deliberately bought the 1" tube because that was the rings size, this is not a one piece mount rig, but a two piece mount with four screws per ring. If it were not for the 1" existing setup I would have forked out for a 30mm tube scope.

and gone with an aftermarket mount & ring solution.

Any realistic suggestions?

Cheers

Mick

History is a learned experience.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 17:21
I would just keep the scope, ditch the overpriced Sako Optilock rings that I personally detest anyway, and buy different rings.  I like Talley, and on the Sako 75 and 85 I use them on, their bases bring the rings closer together than the OL rings I tried did.  Leupold makes some 1 piece ringmounts for Sako, though I've not tried them and can't comment on spacing.  Conetrol offers some very nice mounts in their "DapTar" series bases that appear to provide shorter ring spacing than the Optilocks.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 17:22
By the way, welcome to OT, kiwi!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 18:48
Welcome to the OT!

+1 Talley one piece
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 21:22
Talleys are gonna be your most economical and best bet
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:48
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Welcome to the OT!

+1 Talley one piece

1 piece not available for Sako 75 or 85; 2 piece only.  I'm assuming the OP was referring to either of those rifles based on his mention of the Sako mounts.
Ted

Kiwi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 12:34
Thanks for the replies, looks like these might work Talley  1" Sako A7 (Med). I had some trouble trying to figure out the model because I bought the rifle at a gun show. I don't think the one piece will work, though.  Best I can tell, based on the age is it's a Sako M75 IV  1997  Sprg  twist 11”  SM  7 1/2 lbs.

Does anybody have a link for two a two piece setup?

Cheers
Thanks for the welcome.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 12:37
Unfortunately I don't see an edit option here, so excuse this follow up. I found the SWFA link
Kiwi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 15:13

Alright, as I have a rifle and a scope that I could not use and waited for an email response from two days ago to SWFA, I got a bit inpatient. In this instant I really wanted to have a hands on look anyway and went to Fort Thompson, our local A+ store (Gander is too high priced and Academy Sports is a bit limited in what one can get).

Turns out the low profile Leopold switch-Sako two piece was available, but too low for a 50mm, so moved up to the mid size and all is well. $79.00 and they were nice enough to bore sight it in to boot. Now I finally get to use the rig, as intended after a month of waiting for the opportunity.
Still plan on the other scope, for a .270 later that I have not bought yet, because I need a Marlin 30-30 for porkers first and don't want a scope for that, I used to use a knife for porkers, but I'm getting a wee bit long in the tooth for that game now.

Just an aside, also picking up a 100 acre block to shot on and hope to extend that to 300 acres later. The land borders National Park on two sides.

Cheers
& Thanks fella's.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 15:34

Don't you just love it when a plan comes togetherYippee

Good luck Down Under with the new property & new tube Big Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 15:34
Originally posted by Kiwi Kiwi wrote:

Thanks for the replies, looks like these might work Talley  1" Sako A7 (Med). I had some trouble trying to figure out the model because I bought the rifle at a gun show. I don't think the one piece will work, though.  Best I can tell, based on the age is it's a Sako M75 IV  1997  Sprg  twist 11”  SM  7 1/2 lbs.

Does anybody have a link for two a two piece setup?

Cheers
Thanks for the welcome.

I realize you've already bought your rings, but I wanted to point out that the Sako A7 has a conventional threaded scope base connection and the Sako 75 has the tapered dovetail mount connection integrated into the top of the receiver.  The mounts for one rifle won't work on the other.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 15:35
Originally posted by Kiwi Kiwi wrote:

Unfortunately I don't see an edit option here, so excuse this follow up.

The forum software is configured so you can't edit your posts or post pictures until you have at least 50 posts.  After that, you have full editing capability.
Ted

Kiwi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 14:05
Well, all useful info. BTW -SWFA DID respond, unfortunately it hit the spam box on the paid web based email account (I never look at) because it's set to POP3 striaght into outlook.

Anyway, everything has worked out and that second scope will defintely be the next.

Cheers
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 23:16
good to hear!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic