OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

crimp or no crimp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crimp or no crimp
    Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:14

Is it needed to crimp a rifle case to a slug that has no crimp ring on it?

I been told by guys that have been reloading for a while that you need to crimp the case to the slug.

I read in the latest nosler reloading book that you don't need to crimp a rifle round, just seat the slug to length and your done.

If you don't fight for your rights they all will be taken away. Bet on it!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:16
what caliber are we talking? and is it semi auto??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:18
Your gonna finda  mixed bag of answers on this, some crimp some dont.  IF your FLS die is set up correctly you shouldnt need to but the assurance when your running semi auto is mind easing at times.Wink

me personally I crimp all that goes into my semi autos none for a bolt gun

Edited by SVT_Tactical - March/21/2011 at 12:18
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:20
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Your gonna finda  mixed bag of answers on this, some crimp some dont.  IF your FLS die is set up correctly you shouldnt need to but the assurance when your running semi auto is mind easing at times.Wink

me personally I crimp all that goes into my semi autos none for a bolt gun

thats the way i would do it as well, unless your shooting a .458 lott, then maybe in a bolt action of that size i would use a roll crimp.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:23
I don't crimp anything, not even the 458winmag, or the 500S&W
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:48
Crimping is mainly to keep the bullets seated etc when the ammo is handled roughly during transport etc. Millitary ammo is crimped. They even crimp the primers in if there not glued or whatever that blue stuff is that held the primers in my .303 ammo was. If you dont handle your ammo harshly or have it in loose bulk etc you will be fine as long as it has been reloaded properly.
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:48
What type of crimp are you talking about? These are the common crimp types: roll crimp, taper crimp, and factory or collet crimp.
A roll crimp is typically used on projectiles with cannalures.
Taper crimps can be used on projetiles with and without cannalures, but if there is no cannalure the taper crimp should be just enough to snug the bullit up in the case mouth.
The taper and collet crimp are seperate operations from bullit seating, but a roll crimp can be applied during bullit seating.
If your loading for a semiauto, a crimp of some kind is recommended. If your loading for a heavy recoiling round, a crimp is probably a must. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 13:07
I used to crimp everything, but now only crimp pistol rounds.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 13:15
I don't crimp anything either.  Not even for my ARs or my 7mm BAR.  I do taper crimp pistol rounds though so they function better.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
MADMATT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 14:05
it's a 25-06 bolt action.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 14:07
Originally posted by MADMATT MADMATT wrote:

no reason to crimp, all your doing there is raising the pressure, and the chances of blowing your self up.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
MADMATT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 14:11
thanks for the  intel.
I'm glad this forum is here.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 14:12
we are too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 14:14
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

no reason to crimp, all your doing there is raising the pressure, and the chances of blowing your self up.
also , if the crimp is not the same pressure everytime the bullets can do strange thing like not fly right, or fly right and not left.. Its just one more thing to do during hand loading that will not be the same everytim you do it. example. some brass might be harder than some. the pressure might be greater in the harder case than it would be in the softer ones. so it could make you have a faster FPS and at 200 yards you shoot 2 inch high by mistake ( normaly it would work) but the hard case's number was up on the shot. the PFS was up 25. so your drop was 1/2 instead of 1 to 1/4. so insteda of hitting the heart you hit the no man zone between the back bone and heart. Hope that made some since.

Oh don't crimp.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 21:46
Roll Crimp Cannelure, Taper Crimp Semi Pistol, Factory Crimp Auto and Semi Auto Rifle.

No crimp on the Bolt Guns.

I do not believe the Crimp will be my excuse for not hitting what I aim at, and for those that think it is that big in the equation I think not.
Hiding

Wink

Hiding

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/21/2011 at 21:48
No one
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 06:56
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Roll Crimp Cannelure, Taper Crimp Semi Pistol, Factory Crimp Auto and Semi Auto Rifle.

No crimp on the Bolt Guns.

I do not believe the Crimp will be my excuse for not hitting what I aim at, and for those that think it is that big in the equation I think not.
Hiding

Wink

Hiding

Oh! but at certain load points it is.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 07:27
As mentioned, crimping is really only necessary for ammo that will be handled roughly. And, as mentioned, it will introduce another step, possibly decreasing accuracy - although I have never noticed much difference in my semi-auto M1 using surplus .30-06 HXP. It shoots the same from box to box, even lot to lot. I'd just avoid doing it out of laziness.
Reaction time is a factor...
MADMATT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADMATT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 12:08
so a crimp is recomended for a semi-auto but not a bolt action?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 12:33

so a crimp is recomended for a semi-auto but not a bolt action?

yes.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 12:35
by some.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic