OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

savage .30-06 200yards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: savage .30-06 200yards
    Posted: March/21/2011 at 08:08
Sorry for the small pictures. Taken with cell phone. 4 shots at 200 yards. Best group of the day. That was with 168gr hornady match with 55.5gr of H4831 and br2 primers.  Had to click three clicks right due to wind. First shots were consistantly left. I also shot a 2 inch group with factory winchester 180 graina cxp2.  Hornady super performance ammo was disappointing in my opinion. 2 duds out of six. Doesn't group very well. Upper shots were hornady. They might be fast but there not as accurate as others. That being said all shots would have been sufficient to drop a deer at 200 yards assuming I could do my part.   Also shot my H&R ultra slug hunter at 200 yards. Had to aim three feet above target to hit. They drop a ton by the time your reach 200 yards. I would say max range would be 125 max with Hornady sst slugs.
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 09:59
Yes thats good to bring the bacon home.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 11:19
my 30-06 168gr load is Varget. I try others but always seem to go back.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:17
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I may give that a shot (haha) at some point but I love the results I am getting right now.
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:20
Originally posted by saitotiktmdog saitotiktmdog wrote:

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I may give that a shot (haha) at some point but I love the results I am getting right now.

CCI BR primers , rem brass, 50.5gr of Varget, 168gr VLD 3 inch 5 shout group at 500 yards off bags. Its been a great load. all deer that has been shot with it didn't like it but thats there problem.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 12:35
Let me also clarify that I was aiming for the lower apex of the yellow circle towards the bottom of the target. So in that case its only about two inches high at 200 yards.  

Below is what I was getting at 100 yards some months ago.

savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 04:35

Hornady super performance ammo was disappointing in my opinion. 2 duds out of six. Doesn't group very well. Upper shots were hornady. They might be fast but there not as accurate as others.

+1

I had VERY bad results with Superformance SST 140gr Interlocks in my .270.  You were actually doing much better with your '06.  I couldn't get mine to group any better than about 4-5" at only 100 yards.

I'll never buy that stuff again.
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 09:29
Originally posted by EchoWhiskeyOne EchoWhiskeyOne wrote:

Hornady super performance ammo was disappointing in my opinion. 2 duds out of six. Doesn't group very well. Upper shots were hornady. They might be fast but there not as accurate as others.

+1

I had VERY bad results with Superformance SST 140gr Interlocks in my .270.  You were actually doing much better with your '06.  I couldn't get mine to group any better than about 4-5" at only 100 yards.

I'll never buy that stuff again.

agreed. Not worth the money for such shoddy performance. Considering tearing them all down and using the powder in some of my reloads.  
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 09:26

agreed. Not worth the money for such shoddy performance. Considering tearing them all down and using the powder in some of my reloads.

I've never hand-loaded a round in my entire life so by no means am I very educated in that department, but it seems to me that the powder might be the initial problem with these Superformance loads, right?

It just seems to me that the exceptionally hot mix of powders that they use to try and "mimick" magnum caliber velocities out of non-caliber catridges is the main problem in itself.

Hornady claims that this Superformance ammo doesn't have any added pressure and recoil and that is an absolute CROCK!  Those 140gr SST Interlocks were recoiling DANG NEAR as hard out of my .270 as my .300 WSM with standard Remington 150gr ammo and that is no exaggeration!

I personally feel that the powder is far to unstable to sustain itself.  My biggest reason for thinking so is because Hornady uses premium primers and brass and I have heard of a good bit of reloaders using their interlock/interbond lead in their hand-loads because they offer good performance with the right powder.

Give it a shot and let us know, I guess. 
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 15:53

Upon inspection of the primers it would appear the primer metal was thicker or harder than other primers. The firing pin did not make as much of an indentation as it did on any of the other factory ammo primers or the cci primer i got for reloading. That would be my guess. COuld be a combo of both though.

savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 17:25
Have you ever shot Sierra MatchKings? I have had excellent success with them in all my rifles also a huge fan of the 55gr BlitzKing for the 223 and 22-250... have some very tight groups..
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 07:09
No I have never shot the sierra match kings. I may try them out.   Last night I did a bullet seating depth comparison on the Hornady super performance. They are seated much deaper in the case than the reloads I shoot. This may be one reason for the terrible accuracy. I know it affects it. An interestin test would be to remove the bullet from one of these and re seat it based on the chamber of my gun. The next step would be to take the powder and put it in an already fired case and seat bullet and see what accuracy and velocity one gets. I dont have a chrono so all I could do is test the groupings.
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 16:17
I am all for tests but it sounds like a lot of work to figure out something you could just spend a couple bucks on by buying some bullets and handloading it yourself... And Hornady bullets are just Sierra rejects hahaWink
Mausers forever

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 21:58
Originally posted by Rothstein1987 Rothstein1987 wrote:

I am all for tests but it sounds like a lot of work to figure out something you could just spend a couple bucks on by buying some bullets and handloading it yourself... And Hornady bullets are just Sierra rejects hahaWink

my saying has always been, if it wont shoot sierras, it probably wont shoot anything.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:05

Sierra has the strictest tollerances in the industry as far as I know.. There is a reason they hold a majority of the records.. They know quality and thats all they allow out their doors is quality..

Mausers forever

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:38
Originally posted by Rothstein1987 Rothstein1987 wrote:

Sierra has the strictest tollerances in the industry as far as I know.. There is a reason they hold a majority of the records.. They know quality and thats all they allow out their doors is quality..

Upon what do you base that??  You are making a broad, unverifiable statement.  Sierra's have seen some wider use which skews the comparison.  Sierra's are a bit easier to "seat", easier to find their "sweet spot" than the VLD design of Berger, but if you have the patience to find the Berger sweet spot, it will outperform the Sierra.  If you have 15 of 20 shooters using Sierras, 3 Hornady, 1 Black Hills and 1 Berger and the Berger shooter wins the overall competition, Sierra will still show up as a higher percentage winner... given equal skills.  You shoot Sierras, have success with them, therefore like them.  You still can't paint them with that broad brush saying that they have "the strictest tolerances in the industry".  Sierras are very good and have obviously high quality standards, but their attention to tolerance does not exceed all the others...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:41
i think they all hold about the same.  Lapua, berger, sierra, Badlands bulldozers!
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:50
Strictest factory tolerences.. A batch bullets have a select group pulled from them and test shot 10 rnd groups at 200 yrds if it doesnt meet their specs the batch gets shipped out to surplus stores but will not get the sierra name.. Im not saying that a majority of the shooters dont shoot Sierras.. But there is reason why a majority of the world class shooters would use Sierra's... Understanding where im coming from now?
Mausers forever

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 07:31
I have great luck with Hornady bullets, at least the match boat tails the 168 grain bullets. I have some lead nosed 150 grain bullets also. I have not shot them since I got my scope woes sorted out (before I got my viper) so I dont know how well they shoot. Before my scope was not right and I was shooting all over the place because the scope was jumping around. Woule like to try them now and see how they shoot. They are loaded with H414 powder. The max load is around 59gr or so.
savage 110 viper-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 12:47
Lets see, Sierra's have been around since the ice age, they are one of if not the least expensive bullets out there, normally they DO shoot very very good. So for the reason mentioned above there are alot of folks using them, which gives them a whole lot of publicity.

However, there is no magic at work here! I have shot tons of the Hornady SST bullets and in every case they shoot wonderfully. I have shot the Berger's in my .284's and they are scary good and easy to make shoot. I shoot some Accubonds in my 280AI that shoot within 1% of the Bergers. 

I have Buddy's that shoot Nosler bullets and swear by them.

Truthfully, the only bullet that I have ever had to work real hard to make shoot good is the Barnes bullets, but once I worked it out they too are excellent.

Most of today's bullets are far better than any of us could ever hope to be.

Randy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic