OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

valuations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl zeiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: valuations
    Posted: March/20/2011 at 16:50
i think i have a really really goob pair of bins in my possession, just wondering if anyone can suggest where i can get them valued?
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 17:35
Are they Zeiss?  If so I'll give $20 for themBig Grin.

If your wanting an opinion on what they're worth we need to know what they are.
carl zeiss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl zeiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 18:32
there jena jenoptem ddr multi coated 10x50s, do u want the production no. 2?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 19:32
If they are in fair condition they go for $150 to $300 typically.  Really good specimens are at the upper end of that range and even a little more.

They were manufactured in the East German Zeiss Jena plant.  The plant later became Docter Optics.

The West German Zeiss Oberkochen binoculars of similar vintage can go for twice what the Jenoptems go for.

I check auction sites regularly for older Zeiss Porros.  I have a pair of what appeared to be excellent condition 8X30 Jenoptems coming from Britain as we speak.  I paid $140 shipped from a rather well known auction site.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - March/20/2011 at 19:35
-Matt
etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 20:26
The name Jenoptem indicates that it is a fairly late model, as Zeiss West Germany was able to get sole rights to the Zeiss name after the country was reunified.
Do note that there was extensive production in Japan of copies of the 10x50 especially, reportedly by virtue of a licensing deal. Many of those have the Japan inspection sticker and a 6 digit serial number, while all Jenoptems should have a seven digit number starting in 6 or 7.
Bitterroot's comment on pricing is bang on. These binocs are a great buy when in good condition.
The Allbinos site has a recent review of the 8x30 DEltrintem, the kid brother to these.
They still are excellent optics.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 23:23
Originally posted by etudiant etudiant wrote:

The name Jenoptem indicates that it is a fairly late model, as Zeiss West Germany was able to get sole rights to the Zeiss name after the country was reunified.
Do note that there was extensive production in Japan of copies of the 10x50 especially, reportedly by virtue of a licensing deal. Many of those have the Japan inspection sticker and a 6 digit serial number, while all Jenoptems should have a seven digit number starting in 6 or 7.
Bitterroot's comment on pricing is bang on. These binocs are a great buy when in good condition.
The Allbinos site has a recent review of the 8x30 DEltrintem, the kid brother to these.
They still are excellent optics.

I have always heard the six-digit Jenoptems were plain fakes and had nothing to do with Carl Zeiss Jena.  They certainly did not have the quality or build of the genuine 7 digit Jenoptems.

I don't know what is meant by fairly late model, but most multicoated Jenoptems were manufactured in the 80's.  Those not marked multicoated were older.  The 8X30 Deltrintem and 8X30 Jenoptem were identical in performance and specs, the only difference being manufacturing techniques (automated production with the Jenoptems) used, leaving the Jenoptem as less expensive, but not necessarily lesser in quality.

Due to litigation over the Zeiss name, Jenoptems were imported into the U.S. under the "Aus Jena" brand name rather than "Carl Zeiss Jena" as they were marketed throughout most of the rest of the world.  Only the Oberkochen (West German) Carl Zeiss binoculars were allowed to be marketed as "Carl Zeiss" binoculars in the USA during this time period.  If you have a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem marked binoculars, they were likely originally sold in another market (like England).

Carl Zeiss Jena eventually was purchased by Docter Optics, and it exists that way today, where the famous Carl Zeiss Jena Nobilem models are still produced as Docter Nobilem binoculars.

The history of Zeiss is fascinating.   I recently read a concise and complete history of the company online.  I will try to find it again and post the link.

I received my mid-80s Jenoptems last week (from England) and they are truly wonderful little binoculars.  Those multicoatings were way ahead of their time.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 15:20
You do indeed have to be careful about fake Carl Zeiss Jenna Jenoptem binoculars. 

This link should help.  I have two 8x30 Jenoptem binoculars.  I need to send them both off someplace to get a good cleaning, but they are are pretty decent glass.  I bought both on#bay and would advise a no bid on any that do not have decent enough pictures to identify the fake characteristics, but that said the site is a good place to compare yours to what is on sale and to see what they are selling for.  It will give you an idea of just how to photograph the binoculars should you decide to sell that route.

Edited by Klamath - March/26/2011 at 15:22
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic