OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need imput/help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 23:11
That is one of the reasons I wanted the low power and big FOV. We have seen big cats and big bears, as well as moving game in the bush where we hunt. One of my friends got quite shook up from a grizzly last year. He wants to buy a 338 semi now. I saw that picture about a month ago, just a little scary. I think I might go with the ballistic turret, if I buy a swaro, but if not probably the BRH if I can get it, and I wont be shooting far enough in low light that a ballistics reticle will be needed anyway, but again I realy thank you for the help. The food for thought is realy what I need because I want to get it right the first time, and my optics knowledge is realy not that good.
So who builds a great scope in a 2-12 with a 50 mm obj max, and a lit reticle that doesn't need a battery, for $1500 or less?? I guess I better not hold my breath on that one.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 00:58
Trijicon holds the patent on their technology its tritium and fiber optic so its always turned on with no battery to go bad.  The choices you have with them in traditional scopes are  1-4x24 or 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x56  or 5-20x50.  I really think if you can get past the fact that the objective is 56mm by realizing it would be 3mm closer to the barrel and 3mm higher you would be well advised to select that 2.5-10x56 scope.  If you must stay low the 3-9 might work for you I just dont care for it in a side by side comparison with the 2.5-10.  The 1-4 really would not be a long range optic but awesome out to 200 or 300 yds max which is where most of your hunting will be and very compact. The 5-20x50 could work for you and would be better at longer distance due to tactical knobs but limited by having only 50 moa of internal adjustment so about a 600 yd scope, probably in the Post configuration would be best in heavy brush as those work with the bindon aiming concept where the crosshair and mil dot do not.  USMC uses a 4x ACOG for combat 5x is only one power higher and I have hunted with a fixed 6x so it can be done.  I have had a 5-20 with red post and the post can look a bit odd in daylight as the fiber optic runs up the post you really dont notice it on other models but I really think if you looked these over you would want one.  I have a 5-20x50 green mil dot and have ordered a second one.  In heavy brush though the post would be the best choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 04:02
I'm with WYcoyote, I am a huge Burris fan, and in several years of using their scopes I have never needed to use their CS for any repairs, but have used them for general questions from time to time. they have treated me like gold every time I have ever talked to them.
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 12:42
Ok here is the dumb question. I know a SFP balistcs reticle only works on full power. Does the zero get affected as well, when dialed back to 5 or 6 or less etc. Or is it just the ballistics settings which will be affected on lower power? As for Burris I am not convinced, I sent them an email asking them a question, on March 14, I have recieved no response. Maybe this is too soon to expect a response, but I think not.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 13:06
Just the ballistic settings.  At least that is how they are suppose to work.  Occasionally a few scopes have problems with the zero when changing mag.  But with most decent scopes that is not an issue

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 13:17
Thanks super, would you consider the Burris in the decent catigory? Just trying to bleed out a few more opinions, before I spend my money.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 13:33
I have a Burris Euro on my 6.8 AR and like it.  Glass is good, so far it is working well.  I got no complaints at this point.  Reticle is very heavy which I like for this gun. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Vladimir1m View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladimir1m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 08:57
Hi,
I'm new member - but I've been in the game for 20 years and learning something new every time.
have you made your choice yet?
I've noticed when it comes to accuracy only 50% is your optics - the other 50% is in your mind - you need confidence in your equipment and you half way there.
Personally I'm using Rem pump 308 with Leupold 4-14x50 III IR with 30 mm tube - only set me back 1200, but I think I've spent additional 500 on batteries for IR - keep forgetting to turn IR off all the time>>
I've started a little project - will be changing mounting system on my scope to a quick release, so I can have 2 scopes an additional 4x32 in 25mm tube and on it will mount an external laser - for  my night shooting - I can not find half dissent mounting  for 30mm tube. 
Good IR scopes will cost extra 300-500 for less then half you can have a better system with the laser.
If Guns and Knives can kill –
Then Spoons and Forks can make you FAT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic