OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NEED HELP savage 10 Stock, Base, Trigger, Magazine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEED HELP savage 10 Stock, Base, Trigger, Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP savage 10 Stock, Base, Trigger, Magazine
    Posted: March/19/2011 at 21:01
First thank you for your patience with my posts on this site.

I have been graciously received, I know I PO'd some people in the beginning but I hope I am coming around.

I have, after many suggestions to get a SAVAGE MODEL 10, just picked up one in .308 win, while I bought it because it was the fastest twist factory rifle I could find I now find myself thinking I am going to get another caliber barrel possibly.  This one is going to be a dedicated sub gun I am sending the barrel out to have it cut down and the barrel turned down to accept a OPS INC. 3rd Model M24 can.  I was very impressed by the 110 BA I have in .338LM.  It is my cheapest 338 and I since sold 2 that it replaces without a hiccup...

Back to the .308...

The need for a 1:10 was the 220 and 200gr bullets at 1000fps.

Any who back to my questions.

I am looking for a new stock.

I am looking for a 20 MOA Base.

I am looking for a new Trigger.

I am looking to go magazine fed detachable box mag type.

I am looking for cost effective things.

These are my ideas thus far.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-BELL-%26-CARLSON-cln-Savage-DuraMaxx/Categories

http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Stocks/

http://swfa.com/Savage-C2594.aspx

http://swfa.com/Warne-Maxima-1-Piece-Bases-C1275.aspx

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

EVOLUTION

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&selectOpts=1&products_id=182

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com 

MAGAZINE

http://www.tacticalworks.com/CDI-Precision/

It is the rifle pictured.

It is the old model 10 Short Action Flat Receiver No Accu-trigger 4.275 pattern...

I am looking for any input you can help me.

If you think anything is not quality or not worth the money please please tell me.

If you have any brands/manufacturers or product you have that works fine and you tell me please.

ANY POST IS A GOOD POST.

I bought this for $600 it has a junk scope and junk base and rings, the trigger was adjusted down to 4-6 ounces, the safety didn't work and the travel was horrible, after a friend shooting this link to me,

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

and

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/

it now works flawless and the trigger is as smooth and crisp and around 3lbs and I am thrilled the 3 position safety feels smooth and tactical the creep is gone and it is very crisp.

By the way the last guy dumped it because it couldn't group.  It grouped and was a 1/4 MOA easy...

The rings were tight the base was loose and the scope was not level and the action screws were loose and he used washers for spacing. NUFF SAID, I love idiots...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - March/19/2011 at 21:07
No one
shockey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 22:25
You have pretty much everything covered from what I've read, the only modification I would make to your list is the clip and bottom metal.  I would go with the SSS for this.  But that is just a matter of opinion.
I might also opt to just buy another barrel vs cutting the one you have down, and have the barrel mfg thread it for you.

check out savage shooters, as there are some tremendously knowledgeable folks their.

Just a wild thought here, but you might find that designing and engineering your own stock will work better for you in the end.  Use a factory stock and then find yourself an old pushrod from motor that's the appropriate length.  Drill from the front rearward and insert pushrod and epoxy it into place.  you can shorten the forearm length during this procedure if you like as well.  You can also cut the pistol grip area out of the stock during this mod too, and put on something a little more tactical if you like.
Here's a short thread about it. http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=272868&highlight=
and this will give you some pics of what's possible.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-tactical-rifle-project-1.php

Edited by shockey - March/19/2011 at 22:28
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 22:45
I have the EGW base and the Choate light tac stock... Both perform well, but I would probably suggest you get the H.D. mount. With the standard base it is rather difficult to get the scope down snug on the barrel. The stock is very stiff and not light as the name implies. I have not used any after market triggers at all. As a matter of fact your after action report would be appreciated by me at least.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 00:21
I have used the riflebasix trigger and have been very pleased with the results.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 06:05

338, try stockade gun works Kevin does a lot of Savage work,stocks I think are made from fiberglass and he does an unfinished money saver.Pretty sure he has the other parts you want also.
As for trigger most at Savage Shooters believe the SSS competition to be the best,and they also will have all the parts you need BUT if not in stock it will take some time to get them.Check Brownells they stock the SSS trigger.
 As for the barrel there are a few who specialize in savage barrels and are pretty quick turn arounds.
 Now that you HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT go to www.savageshooters.com and every question you need answered will be by people who shoot and customize mostly savage rifles,and for a $12 a year membership you will have access to every article on "how too" and the classifieds for everything savage from plinking to competiton and then some.
froggy
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 07:27
I know you can get a Timney 2-4 lb trigger for that model for about $95. I don't know how they stack up against the riflebasix, or others, and I don't have one on a savage, but have one on a Wby Vanguard, and it is VERY nice. I have it breaking at 2 lbs, with zero creep. It breaks like glass, very clean, nice trigger. I've also had good luck with Bell & Carlson stocks, but have little experience with too many others. I believe Bigdaddy has one similar to the one you are looking at, you may want to ask him about it. Unfortunately I don't have much for Savages, so I can't be of too much help.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 09:16
Ohhh.... I also have a barrel,supposedly anyway, on order from McGowan. It will have been 6 weeks on Wednesday and still has not shipped. I really hope it shoots well, I hate waiting for anything!
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 05:37

Billyburl2,  I have a Duglas barrel that was supposed to be in stock just needed to be chambered and cut & crowned and today starts week 11, I was told last week at least 3 more weeks, I almost cancelled it.
 It sucks when all the other parts are on the bench waiting to be put together.
froggy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2011 at 22:26
But theyprobably at least know where it is... The last couple of times I have called, the receptionist takes my number ,and my name because she has to "find it", then I never here from her.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 07:35
I've delt with douglass several times,  never has it took more than about 4 weeks from teh day I shipped my action to the day they shiped it all back.  All of them are tack drivers as well.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 14:55
 Mine isn't right from Duglas it is from another gunsmith, who will then thread and cut and crown for one of my Savage actions,Going with a 18" varmit taper 250 sav. to be used for hunting thicker wooded areas,and to try my hand at "varmit hunter class" @100yards at my local club using a 6x SS.
froggy
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 16:42
Lothal Walther makes screw on all ready savage barrels in a bunch of calibers.  If I got a savage that is what I would get, I have read a lot of good things about the steel they use.

http://www.lothar-walther.de/339.php

Edited by supertool73 - March/22/2011 at 16:47
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2011 at 21:07
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

Mine isn't right from Duglas it is from another gunsmith, who will then thread and cut and crown for one of my Savage actions,Going with a 18" varmit taper 250 sav. to be used for hunting thicker wooded areas,and to try my hand at "varmit hunter class" @100yards at my local club using a 6x SS.
That could be your issue
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:30
NEW PROBLEM

Looking for help to fit the OLD 10 SA Stag-Feed.

Using a Medalist Stock and EGW base or better.

LOOKING for help with the bottom metal or making it DBM 8+Shot.

Any input will help.

I am looking for any assistance.
No one
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:34
thought about CDI precission bottom metal?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:38
mag release SUCKS...

It looks like a piece of crap...
No one
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:45
they are very well made,  I am very happy with mine.  The mag release can be modified a bit, there is a thread here where it was done.  CDI stands behind them pretty good and they take the AICS mags
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:51
Ooops.

Sorry, I did not know.

I am worried about the fit.

I was also told the fit could be off.

Have you tried the ALPHA mags?

I am looking at going through another outfit to get the CDI but I was a little more than turned off by the lever and the Simplicity of the hinge mechanism or pin in the LEVER. 

Compared to the SharpShooterSupply I have nothing else to compare it to.

I am wondering what other manufacturers are out there.

Can you post any pics of yours?

No one
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 21:59
http://www.opticstalk.com/cdi-bottom-metal-mod_topic27022_post381901.html
I can't find any pictures of mine so I will get some up soon. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2011 at 22:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic