OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

fixedpower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fixedpower
    Posted: March/18/2011 at 20:25
Hello gentlemen,

does anyone on here have any experience with fixed power scopes? reason being im gearing up to buy a new scope. narrowed down to a few, either a 10x42 PMII for my savage or a new Z6 for my Weatherby. long story short i keep catching myself looking at the S&B fixed power 6x42.  30mm version. as far as on my WBY i feel this scope would be perfect for where i hunt.I was originally all fired up about the 1.7x10 Z6 until i realized it was SFP and i tend to like the FFP scopes. question is does anyone have any experience with the SB 6x42 and being a fixed power would that have an advantage in low light due to less lenses someone educate me on this    
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 20:39
whats the ranges you'll be shooting & what are u hunting or shoot @?
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 20:44
I had the S&B 6x42. It is a great scope.  I sold it because a friend really wanted it and I wasn't certain I wanted to continue to test it on my .458 Lott.  It is a great scope, is great in low light... you will be unable to shoot due to the law long before the scope "goes dark" on you.  Some people have problems with 6x at shorter ranges, but practice will eliminate that difficulty... just remember PERFECT practice makes perfect.   I don't think you would ever be unhappy with it, often wish I had "mine" back... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 21:05
the areas i hunt will require 150 to 200yard shots. the scope will be going on a gun thats capable of much longer shots, but im just impressed with the simplicity of a fixed power scope. i do go on the occasional hog hunt also. my other question is, that i know that some of the fixed power scopes are made in Hungary. my impression was that the Hungarian models were sold only in Europe. fact is im out on the Hungarian model. If i buy a S&B i wont the German version. Man i sure wish i could find a 3x12x42 variable in the 1200$$ range used. that would probably be more ideal. sample list had or has a 56mm S&b variable but ive already been doen that road with my 56mm Steiner. The dang thang requires extra high rings and im out on that. i went back to 40 and 42mm scopes cause like my scope as close to the barrel or action as possible. anyways those are my needs. i have one Swaro PH and love the heck out of it. Ive been told the S&B is on another level as far as glass so i wonted to give her a shot. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 21:20
I doubt I will ever own a S&B - nice scopes but spendy.  I hunted last year with a fixed 6x leupold heavy duplex FX3 6x42 Leupold also makes a long range duplex which is a balistic reticle and I have often recommended that as an ideal hunting scope.  I also have some fixed power Super Sniper scopes a 6x42 and a 10x HD and have had most of their models.  I have really been thining about moving the 6x42 Super Sniper to my hunting rifle.  I understand that the S&B is good glass but I would be willing to bet that having tactical knobs to dial in correction I could hit anything with the Super Sniper that I could with the S&B and probably hit it at greater distances with the SS.
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/ttctypes/   Balistic Compensating engraved knobs.

Tasco
Super Sniper
L.R. HUNTER

Tasco
Super Sniper
MILITARY

Tasco
Super Sniper
SPEED DIAL

Tasco
Super Sniper
SPEED DIAL

Also check out thier 3-9  FFP 
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
IOR also makes a 6x hunting scope  with realy good glass
IOR 6x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope 4A IOR 6x42 Hunting 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 604241
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 30mm
$594.95
I'd buy one of these a long time before I would spend the $ on the S&B cause I'd be willing to bet the IOR's   "SCHOTT" glass is almost as good as the S&B.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 23:44
Ive owned Leupold my entire life really like them. Alot of members on here take their shots at them from time to time, but ive never missed a deer or a hog, or anything for that matter because of my Leupold. Cant say the same for Nikon. I agree SS would be a less expensive option to the PM, but im the type that if i spend money which i Dont very often, i wanna buy what i like. i may entertain a SS in the future for my 17 hmr. After careful consideration im going to hold off on the fixed power scope and opt for either a S&B Klassik, or Zeiss Diavari for my weathery mark v 257. I Dont wanna exceed the 42mm objective size. I noticed you posted links to IOR scopes. probably the most underrated euro scope. Almost pulled the trigger on a Spartan recently, but my money wasn't in order and it sold. im gonna opt for the best low light scope in the 42 mm objective range. due to multipurpose. heck if i cant find a s&b or victory at my price point i may just buy another swaro PH. i would buy a z6 in a min if it was FFP. whats up with that?? do they even offer a FFP scope anymore??    
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 00:12
Where did you find a 30mm version of S&B 6x42? I thought they had 1" tubes.

Either way, it is an awesome fixed power scope with flawless image quality.  Keep in mind though that the eyerelief is a touch on the short side in case this is going onto a kicker.

I have IOR 6x42 with #4 reticle and it is a nice allround scope design for low light.  If you are going wit ha 6x42 scope I suggest a heavy reticle like the #4.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 08:32
Mine was 1", did not know there was a 30mm.  It was a very nice scope, I liked it a lot, but I always had these dreams of it, being a high dollar scope, disintegrating into torn up $100 bills when I pulled the trigger on the Lott.  I had to get rid of it before it drove me crazy...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2011 at 10:23
Fixed scopes are great for shooting under max. PBR but if I was in the market for one now I wouldn't look to spend that much money. Any decent glass, a scope that will hold zero and a good exit pupil will do it. As Kickboxer mentioned above, this situation is largely limited by legal shooting hours.

Reaction time is a factor...
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2011 at 15:23
i wont mention the website that sells the 30mm version with respect to the forum rules. I checked swfa they only carry the 1 inch version with the steel tube. im really at a loss. i probably shouldnt spend that kind of money on a fixed power scope. but im gonna keep looking. I love 30mm tube scopes so 1inch is out of the question. Its not in any way related to any performance reason i just like the look. i really wonted to try to buy something a step up optically from my PH. just so i could have two top tier scopes to campare with. my vx 3s, although i love them, wont compare with my PH. but hey neither did the price.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic