OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper HD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tompac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper HD
    Posted: March/17/2011 at 10:37
Anyone know when this scope will be available?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 14:51
Mid May earliest, last I heard.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 20:02
I thought I read in a thread over on snipershide it would be June or later.
ravencaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravencaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 00:55
Wild Birds Unlimited in Olympia WA has one on order and expects it anytime. We'll see.  I tried a Vortex Nomad today and found that it had internal reflections that caused a halo in the lower field under high contrast so I decided to wait and try the Viper.   
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 08:32
Welcome to the OT ravencaller!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Jeffster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2011 at 21:58
I have been pouring over all the information I can regarding spotters and this site sure is a winner. First post here and am interested in the Viper HD myself. I see SWFA is carrying them but can't find one to look through here in Alaska??? Very curious how it would work for a Backpack hunter. They are out and searching for a review.
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 09:29

Give Vortex a call. I'm sure the guys there would be able to help you get your hands on one to look through.

Jeffster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 15:16

I called Vortex this morning, talked to sales and they told me this. The Viper HD are due out in June. If SWFA is listing them then they must be for backorder at this time. They said, I could go to sportsmans in Anchorage, request a specific model and try it out. If I did not like it then the dealer could request a credit for that particular model. Guess I am in holding pattern till June at the earliest.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2011 at 16:52
Even Vortex can't help if they don't have it yet.  The dealer in Anchorage would just go on backorder too.  Companies really need to pay more attention to not announcing a product months in advance of when they have reasonable expectation of when they can deliver it.  When it's ready to ship to dealers, then announce it.  You could really make $$$ off of the initial hype if you can actually have product to sell, especially with the buzz the "new HD" created.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

westernhunter23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 08:39
Let's bring this scope back to discussion. Has anyone had some time with this scope?  Any reviews or comments? 
CSmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 21:00
Save up your money for the amount of time it will take the Viper HD to be in stock and you can afford the Razor. I have looked through both and the Viper is a very good scope but the Razor in a couple of leagues above the Viper.  The viper has some achromatic aberration and you really start to see it at the higher magnification levels. The superior optics and triple achromat really do pay off. I'm not kidding when I say that the Vortex Razor is about the same optical quality as a Swarovski.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 21:15
Yeah the Razor is impressive to say the least. I have looked through one but not a Viper HD. I wish Vortex would make the Razor in the 15-45x65 model. This would be great for my situation which is packing a light weight spotter.
CSmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 21:22
Yeah that is true. That's a problem I run into all the time. To take care of aberrations I need more optics or very complex optics both of which cost lots of money. The Achromatic aberrations the only way to solve that is with more bonded lenses which in the case of a spotting scope means more weight. Good luck in your search and let us know what you finally get. Take a look at some of the Nikon scopes in the same price range. You may be surprised.
azcoueshntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azcoueshntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 16:21
I own the  15x45x65 Viper HD and was able to put it to good use on my brother in laws southern az coues hunt. I love this scope. It does lose a little but Very Very little when zoomed all the way in. But I love the 15x. Was able to sit behind it for a full weekend and have absolutly nothing bad to say about it. was able to sit right along side with my brother with his swaro. and right up until I am zoomed all the way in my scope is just as clear as his is. I will post some pic as soon as I get the point and shoot set up for it.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 19:36
Welcome to the OT Forum.  We are anxious to see the pictures and hear about the hunt.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 21:33
Would love to see those pics as well. I live and hunt in SE AZ and Coues deer hunting is the best there is.  Had a NM hunt this year and pulled a nice one out!  Thanks for the info on the Spotter.  I am torn between this spotter or going to the bigger glass of the Razor HD.
azcoueshntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azcoueshntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 23:16
Im sure whichever spotter u decide to go with you wont be disappointed. Great glass in both. I will post up some pics of the hunt as soon as I can figure out how. haha. Not a big buck but an old old buck on the down hill and we only had a few days to hunt in a unit we had never stepped foot in and I loved the country. Some of the best coues country I have ever stepped foot in. I just got home from coues hunting today actually, passed on some very nice bucks but I made a new years resolution for 2012 to go 105+. Plus who wants to be done on Jan 1 anyways huh.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 11:36

Yeah I don't think you can go wrong on that glass.  I am a big fan of Vortex.  Have owned Kaibabs and actually currently trying to sell some new Razor HD binos.  Would post them for sale on here but you have to have 50 posts.  I love them but looking to go to a 12x50 Swaro bino.

Have to horn hunt in Jan that is for sure. I was lucky last year. I have been more of a Mule deer hunter and recently started hunting Coues the last few years. with some Luck in my NM hunt I killed a 108" one. Good luck on your hunting. 

muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 14:18
This is a great spotter. Cant go wrong with this
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic