OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 4x32 Diatal-C T*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 4x32 Diatal-C T*
    Posted: March/16/2011 at 18:37
1st post. New Shooter. Just purchased a Ruger 10/22 and want to put a scope on it for my old eyes, though my son can use the iron sights. 
I acquired a new in the box (from 1983) a Zeiss 4x32 Diatal C T*, Made in West Germany.  Tube appears to be 1".  It was my dad's, he never used it or mounted it.  Not sure why he bought it. 

Couple of questions.  Should I use this on the 10/22 or is it too much scope, considering I'm just going shooting for fun?  If yes, what would be a suitable mount/rings?
Is it valuable?  Collector's item?  What does anyone think it might be worth?
If I don't use it, what should I put on this rifle w/o spending more than the rifle is worth for scope and mounts?
Are the usual suspects from Simmons, BSA, Bushnell from $30 to $80 decent enough?

Thanks.
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 21:31
You have a premium quality scope there that can still hold its own optically with many of your more modern domestic alternatives.

Is it too much scope ? Probably for a 10/22. You can find designated rimfire scopes that will do the same job at the same quality level as that 10/22.

IMO your Zeiss needs to belong on a custom 7x57 or similar high end rifle. One sold for approx US$275 9 years ago.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 10:36
I have a 4X B&L Balfor on one of my 10/22's. It is an excellent set up that has accounted for many critters. There should be no problems with parallax on the Zeiss and it will perform similarly.
I was looking at the same Zeiss when I bought the B&L. Physically, they were both similar in size. The glass on the Zeiss was excellent.

Edited by tahqua - March/18/2011 at 10:37
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic