OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you had $1200 to spend on a hunting rife scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

If you had $1200 to spend on a hunting rife scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you had $1200 to spend on a hunting rife scope
    Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:08
What would you choose & why?

Gun is a custom 257 Weatherby. Mainly hunting whitetails and Pronghorn. Shots potentially to 600 yards. Would like some sort of ranging or BDC type reticle.

I would like your input on max magnification range and objective size. Trying to decide on 12X max or 18X.
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:11
Originally posted by Mike from Texas Mike from Texas wrote:

What would you choose & why?

Gun is a custom 257 Weatherby. Mainly hunting whitetails and Pronghorn. Shots potentially to 600 yards. Would like some sort of ranging or BDC type reticle.

I would like your input on max magnification range and objective size. Trying to decide on 12X max or 18X.

I would go with this:  Why is simple...because it's the top of the line in that price range.

Then I would put the rest of the $200 in high quality rings and bases.  I think that 12x would more than cover your 600 yard shots and the 50mm objective should offer plenty of view.

Edited by EchoWhiskeyOne - March/16/2011 at 12:13
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:16
I concur on the above-mentioned Z 3. Great choice. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:21
I might go with this one from the samplelist:

SPL12610Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Rifle Scope DEMO-A
Click to view59767, Matte, BRX, 1"
$1,229.95

take em!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:30
Nope, can't go wrong with either of those, that's for sure.

I know it's a Z-5, but I would probably save the $230 and buy new with the Z-3, but that's mainly because if I weren't going to be shooting past 600 yards, I also wouldn't need magnification that big.  But that's just me being "cheap"!

LOL
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:32
+1 on the z3
Mike from Texas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:34
The two scopes listed by EWO and Tip69 are the exact models I am contemplating.

Since I'm in Texas, the Z5 would be about $130 over my budget due to sales tax.

I want the BRX reticle and my understanding is that it has to be used at max magnification to be accurate so I'm concerned with having to crank up the Z5 to 18X in low light conditions and still being able to see the crosshairs and target at distance.

I have never owned a Swaro so this may be a non issue. I am told they are extremely bright in low light.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:52

I can't think of any other scope that fits your needs or rifle any better than the one's previously suggested.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 13:23
The 4-12 Z3 would be perfect.  The BRX is too thin as a hunting reticle.  The BRH is much better.

Here is my initial review:

http://www.opticstalk.com/swarovski-z3-412x50-brh-reticle_topic27412.html

You can use the Swarovski Calculator to calculate your drops at any magnification you would like.  The Z3 still has a nice 4.16 mm exit pupil at 12x, however.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-4-12x50-Z3-Riflescope-P47244.aspx
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:12
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The 4-12 Z3 would be perfect.  The BRX is too thin as a hunting reticle.  The BRH is much better.

Here is my initial review:

http://www.opticstalk.com/swarovski-z3-412x50-brh-reticle_topic27412.html

You can use the Swarovski Calculator to calculate your drops at any magnification you would like.  The Z3 still has a nice 4.16 mm exit pupil at 12x, however.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-4-12x50-Z3-Riflescope-P47244.aspx

Excellent. Answers most if not all of my questions. Thank You.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:16
In reading some of the posts here (I'm still a newbie to the forum) Leupold scopes don't seem to be highly regarded. I have a couple of Mark 4 scopes and have been extremely happy with them.

In addition I have an agreement through an affiliation where I can buy Leupold products at a healthy discount.

So I'm just wondering, why is it that Leupold products are not highly regarded on the forum? Not trying to start anything, I'm no optics expert, have never owned any German glass, and am genuinely curious. Please educate me.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:21

The features they have aren't worth the money they cost in comparision to like priced other scopes

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:26
I can tell you from owning and using both Swaro and Leupold, that Leupolds are not near the scope that a Swaro is.  The glass in Swaros is amazing.  

But Leupold makes a good scope and if you can get them at a discount, then that would make a big diff in my book.  But personally I would still rather have a Swaro over a Leupy.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:35
Leupold doesn't make a bad product.  It just comes down to value.

Why buy this:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-10x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12649.aspx

When you could buy this:

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

If you can get a heavy discount, Leupolds are a lot more competitive.  People really seem to like the new VX-R series, and the VX-6 series holds some promise, depending on price points.

-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:43
Well hypothetically speaking if a fella could buy Leupold at about a 40% discount, does that change anyone's recommendation?

I have to admit I also LOVE their Alumina flip caps and the ability top buy a 2.5" or a 4" sunshade.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 18:46
+3 on the Z3,tremendous glass & now with the sales going on,put some of the left over money into some good rings.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 18:56
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Leupold doesn't make a bad product.  It just comes down to value.

Why buy this:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-10x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12649.aspx

When you could buy this:

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

If you can get a heavy discount, Leupolds are a lot more competitive.  People really seem to like the new VX-R series, and the VX-6 series holds some promise, depending on price points.

To argue for value, why choose this:

When you can buy this for WELL under the Conquest's price, have VERY close to the same optical quality, a high performance foul weather system (Rainguard) AND a free rain suit ($130):

This is the second time that my wanting to bite the bullet on a Conquest has left me torn and contemplating yet another Bushnell Elite.

They are hands down, the best performing scope for the asking price even though they are lumped into the same categories as many top sellers that cost a GOOD deal more, such as Monarchs, Vipers, Fulfield IIs, VXIIs/VXIIIs, Big Skys and yes, even Conquests and they are the cheapest, in cost, of all of them (minus the Burris).  Many of you would even argue that the only two on that list that can beat an Elite in optical quality is the Conquest and maybe the Big Sky.  But for features and performance, none of them have more than the Elite, unless I'm just badly mistaken.

I have heard a LOT of bad things lately regarding Bushnell's customer service...their products are fortunately tough enough and priced so reasonably that I have never had to deal with their CS on a personal level.

Edited by EchoWhiskeyOne - March/16/2011 at 19:16
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 19:33
Conquest very hard to beat.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 20:06
The Swarovski is a great scope especially the Z5 however I find illumination and tactical knobs useful and am waiting currently for a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50.  If you can pick up a discounted Leupold Mk 4 in a 4.5-14x50 they are a nice scope but rather clunky for a hunting rig. If you can stretch the budget buy a US Optics SN3

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike from Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 12:33
I went by SWFA this morning and bought the Z3, 4-12 x 50. The guys were very patient, answered all of my questions and made some great suggestions.

I for the first time got to look at one of their SS scopes and they are VERY nice, especially for the money.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic