OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for .243

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for .243
    Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:12
Just ordered an x-bolt in 243 and now I need a scope.  Rifle will be for varmints, coyotes and maybe the occasional deer.  Really wanted the new viper hs 2.5-10x44 which is going to sell for $389 here but don't think I can wait until they come out.  Would like ideas about any vortex, nikon, bushnell or leupold as they are the only companies with local cs(if needed) and don't want to have to ship  it across the border if there was a problem.  Price range would max out around $300 US as that would probably run around $400 in Canada.  Thinking I may end up going with old model viper 3-9x40. Thanks for your help.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:16
if you hunt yotes i would tell you to go no higher than 4x on the low end, and would probably really recommend you stay at or below 3.5x truthfully. unless you carry a shot gun too. i use 3x9's myself.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 15:12
A 3x9 with good glass... You can't go wrong. Although it has tactical turrets, the SS 3X9 would be awesome for your needs.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 15:14
Viper 3-9 and call it a day
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 15:36
I still really like a Leupold FX3  fixed 6x42 with the long range duplex for a huting scope.  There are several reasons why -  6x42 has a 7mm exit eye pupil so it is exceptionally bright in low light.  Being a fixed power the balistic reticle is always the same if you know the center X is 200 the first dot down is 300 and the second dot down is 400  you should be able to get onto and kill anything that you com across within what is a reasonable distance for a .243  I can get onto target with a 6 power well under a hundred yards and it is not so much power that you can not hand hold it without a  solid rest.  There is nothing to adjust so nothing will be out of adjustment when you need to be shooting not fooling with adjustment knobs.  The size is fairly compact yet large enough to provide good performance.  It has fairly generous eye relief and is extremely rugged so it is a good choice for heavy magnum rifles.  The glass was improved about a year ago and is quite good. 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:08
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

cant go wrong there.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:41
Even the 2-7X32 Viper would work well for that kind of general purpose work.  And it would save you some money.

I really like my little viper.

Snake
-Matt
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 22:13
I personally like something with more power. I like the 4-14 range and think it's about perfect for a .243. I liked the Burris Fullfield II, but it's been nothing buy a headache. It had an issue right out of the box. I loved my 3-9, but this 4.14 I got has been nothing but a problem. I should have just sent it back to SWFA, but I wanted this scope so I decided to deal with Burris. Burris agreed to send me a shipping label, but here I am over a week later an no shipping label. They told me they mail it to me so wait a few more days and call back at the end of the week. I hope this isn't an instance of how the rest of the repair process is going to go. 
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 07:47
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

cant go wrong there.

I gotta agree with them.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 09:13
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214609920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$399.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2011 at 10:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I still really like a Leupold FX3  fixed 6x42 with the long range duplex for a huting scope.  There are several reasons why -  6x42 has a 7mm exit eye pupil so it is exceptionally bright in low light.  Being a fixed power the balistic reticle is always the same if you know the center X is 200 the first dot down is 300 and the second dot down is 400  you should be able to get onto and kill anything that you com across within what is a reasonable distance for a .243  I can get onto target with a 6 power well under a hundred yards and it is not so much power that you can not hand hold it without a  solid rest.  There is nothing to adjust so nothing will be out of adjustment when you need to be shooting not fooling with adjustment knobs.  The size is fairly compact yet large enough to provide good performance.  It has fairly generous eye relief and is extremely rugged so it is a good choice for heavy magnum rifles.  The glass was improved about a year ago and is quite good. 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95

I've had this scope and it was great (on a regular duty hunting rifle).

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 11:07
mine runs a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 mildot/green dot
fantastic scope for a 243
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2011 at 12:51
+1 on the Zeiss conquest 3-9,if you can stretch the extra $100,if not both the Vipers mentioned are great deals.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic