OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3 SS or Weatherby Vanguard S2 stainless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3 SS or Weatherby Vanguard S2 stainless
    Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:27
I'm trying to decide what rifle I want to buy and thought I'd get some opinions here.  Both the T3 and vanguard s2 have sub moa guarantees, both are available in stainless (which is what i want), and both are basically the same price.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to hold the new vanguard since it's not out yet (next month or so i think), but i bought my son a t3 for christmas and i really like the rifle.  I would be buying in either 300 win mag or 338 win mag.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:39
I can´t tall you much about the Vanguard s2, but i have a T3 stainless.
It's a great out of the box shooter. The bolt feels a bit loose, but thats the only negative thing i can say about it. I took a whitetail out on 323 yards last year. At that time i think i had shot about 20 rounds with it, practicing, so it's not a rifle i have done a hole lot of shooting with. Its just easy to use.
Go 4 it.Wink
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:45
i have a .300wby in a vanguard sporter, i love it, the trigger pull is a little bit heavier than i would like, but in hunting situations its more than adequate for me. and mine doesnt have a clip to lose either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:50
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i have a .300wby in a vanguard sporter, i love it, the trigger pull is a little bit heavier than i would like, but in hunting situations its more than adequate for me. and mine doesnt have a clip to lose either.

the clip is one of the selling points for me though :)  i'd planned on buying the clip conversion kit if i'd bought a wetherby. 
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:00
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

I can´t tall you much about the Vanguard s2, but i have a T3 stainless.
It's a great out of the box shooter. The bolt feels a bit loose, but thats the only negative thing i can say about it. I took a whitetail out on 323 yards last year. At that time i think i had shot about 20 rounds with it, practicing, so it's not a rifle i have done a hole lot of shooting with. Its just easy to use.
Go 4 it.Wink
U had good spotter that told ya where to put it Wink lol
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:00
if you want a clip then buy a browningWink
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:02
Loosing your clip??
I know a lot of hunters, and a lot of them are talking about what a bitch it would be to loose a clip, but none of them (or i for that sake) have ever lost one most don't even knows of any who has. Do you?Wink
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:04
Jamie :Cheers

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:08

Loosing your clip??
I know a lot of hunters, and a lot of them are talking about what a bitch it would be to loose a clip, but none of them (or i for that sake) have ever lost one most don't even knows of any who has. Do you?Wink

murphys law tells me all i need to know in that instance. keep it simple stupid is my thoughts.  i have a browning abolt and a rem 788 both have clips. the 788 worries me, good thing its only used for coyotes. the abolt requires 2 things to happen before its clip hits the ground.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:12
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if you want a clip then buy a browningWink

i do want a stainless rifle, and the stainless brownings are quite a bit more expensive from what i can see. 

i don't owe any allegiance to 1 manufacturer or another... but 599.00 is the msrp for both of these rifles (the tikka and the s2), so any alternative would have to be close to that price range as well.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:14
i dont think you could wrong with either company, they both make great out of the box rifles.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:27

murphys law tells me all i need to know in that instance. 

I hear ya Pyro.
In this case i believe more in myself than i believe in good ol Murphy.This Much

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:32

murphys law tells me all i need to know in that instance. 

I hear ya Pyro.
In this case i believe more in myself than i believe in good ol Murphy.This Much

i do to, but things still happen beyond our control, sticks hit the release and there goes your mag. you may not hear it hit the ground as you walk.

i had a win. m70 30-06 that got the safety flipped to fire walking through pine dead fall once.Shocked
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:02
Got my Son an A-bolt 30-06 last year.  He was in a tree stand and when he was going to get down, he released the "thingy" to take the clip out.  The spring that holds the clip in was too loose and the damn clip came flying out and fell to the ground.  5 of us looked with flashlights for about a half hour and could not find the clip.  Went back the next day during daylight and I found it in about 5 mins.  I adjusted the spring and now the clip stays in when you hit the release.

We both really like the gun and are glad I was able to fix the clip without it being a big deal.  BTW, he was still able to hunt with the gun, only as a single shot vs. a repeater.
take em!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 13:27
I have the tikka t3 and a weatherby vanguard, they are both excellent out of the box performers, but personally, I prefer the tikka. YMMV.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 13:32
Clips?

I thought they had detachable magazines.

Cool
-Matt
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 14:49
I went thru this same exercise last November and was down to the same two MFG's you are.  I know I drove the salesman nuts going between the Weatherby and the Tikka.  Not to mention the many members on this site asking their opinions.  One thing that I did not like about the Tikka was the Det Mag and the fact it was plastic.  I just 'was not' a det mag fan. 
I ended up getting the Tikka and the final straw wasn't that anybody said anything bad about the Weatherby, but rather the number of votes in favor of the Tikka.  Plus speaking to a few people that have forgotten more about guns and optics than I will ever know. 

After shooting it for a couple dozen rounds and carrying it for deer season I really am a fan.  I actually love having the det mag and the trigger is very good.  I don't think I would have been disappointed with the Weatherby but I'm glad I got the Tikka.

One thing to consider, it's light so the recoil will be felt just that much more. 
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 15:00
I can always put a limbsaver and/or a muzzle break on it if it's too bad... actually i'd planned on slapping a limbsaver on it right off... whether i got a vanguard or a tikka.  I seem to be having the same experience as you... lots of cudos for the tikka and not much about the vanguard at all.  given the fact i've actually fired a tikka and like it very much, i'm leaning that way.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 15:32
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

I can always put a limbsaver and/or a muzzle break on it if it's too bad... actually i'd planned on slapping a limbsaver on it right off... whether i got a vanguard or a tikka.  I seem to be having the same experience as you... lots of cudos for the tikka and not much about the vanguard at all.  given the fact i've actually fired a tikka and like it very much, i'm leaning that way.

oh so your knocking it without trying it, i see how this is gonna go down.Big Grin
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 17:12
I'll warn you right now that the Vanguard detatchable magazine conversion will only fit calibers based on the .30-06 case, so your .300 win, or .338 would be out. If you go with the Vanguard, a Timney trigger would make it an amazing rig. My preference is towards the Vanguard, but I'm not dedicated to a detachable mag.
Edit:
I've not yet seen the new s2. I just looked them up, and would like to play with the new trigger. That being said, I don't know if they make a detachable mag kit for them either. But the price is right. I'll almost certainly own one.

Edited by trigger29 - March/16/2011 at 17:21

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic