OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

barrel clearance to objective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: barrel clearance to objective
    Posted: March/15/2011 at 22:11
Hi Guys -

I have a new x-bolt composite stalker .325 WSM with a Leupold VX3  4.5 - 14 x 50 mm.  I have Leupold DD high  (.900) mounts.  My question is what clearance is minimum between the objective end of the scope and the barrel? 

I have about .07" clear.  I'm wondering if there is any flex during recoil that might bang the scope?  It seems pretty stiff but I've heard stories about the scopes jarring loose.

If I push the scope forward i get more clearance, but then I'm getting out of my sight picture.

Regards, Mark
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 06:55
I've always been told if you can see daylight you're good to go. In actuality, I like about 5-6 mm (1/8-1/4 inch) minimum if possible.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Ted_Nugent007 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 07:25
mag Shooter how do you like the leupold VX 3 4x14x50mm what reticle do you have also I think the vx3 has a moa of 125 of adjustment.

I HAD A NIKON MONACH 4X14X42 ON MY ARMALITE AR-50 AND RAN OUT OF DOWN ELAVATION DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE NIKON ONLY HAD A 40 MOA OF ADJUSTMENT UP OR DOWN I THINK THE VX3 SHOULD GIVE ME PLENTY OF ADJUSTMENT I AM GETTING READY TO PUT THE VX3 ON THIS WEEK JUST HOPING THIS FIXES MY PROBLEM ANYWAY LET ME KNOW YOU THOUGHT'S ON THE VX3  THX TEDYippeeLocoWhacko
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 07:46
Ted, You don't have to YELL!!!!
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
TreborYagenrok View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TreborYagenrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 08:04
If you do in fact have .070" of clearance you should be fine.  If you ment .007" that would be awfully tight.  Keep an eye on it, if there is any contact when the barrel ocsillates you will start to see the finish wear on the scope.

Robert
300grains View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300grains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 08:06
As little as possible is commonly considered as the best option.
Ted_Nugent007 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted_Nugent007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 09:51
sorryShoot Self
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 09:59
Got a question..... is the .325 WSM considered a "long range" round?
take em!
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:15
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Got a question..... is the .325 WSM considered a "long range" round?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i would think any of the magnum rounds would be considered "long range"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:19
you're probably right.
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:26
It will shoot a 200 grain bullet near 2800 fps.  So if would be a pretty decent long range hunting round.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:31
+1 BugsNbows = If there's light your good.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 12:57
Thats what I've always gone by too, if there is light between the scope and bbl, you are good. I haven't had any problems yet!
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 15:09
I go by the light theory myself.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
magshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:32
I love the VX3!  I don't know how many MOA adjustment it has - i'm going to find out. 

With my 220 gr., .383 BC bullet centered at 250 yds. I calculate that I need 7" adjustment off mechanical center at 100 yds.  That is 1 11/16 sight height + some drop + 3"high at 100 yds.

that is 28 clicks.   I explored the idea of a .007 shim in the back, so as to take the 7" out and be mechanical center at 100yds with the 3" high.  I didnt get much traction on that idea.  I was told that the 28 clicks was a small percentage of the MOA adjustment, and that a .007 shim in the back mount would stress the tube.

Thoughts?
magshooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:35
I have 1 credit card plus two business cards, which I mic at .058"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2011 at 16:43
Yes it would stress the tube.  It would put your rings at slightly different planes.  So when you tighten them down it would flex the tube a little.  Thats not a good thing especially on a harder kicker.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic