OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Varmint Scope... Barska?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ogle18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Varmint Scope... Barska?
    Posted: December/30/2005 at 00:11
What does everyone think about the Barska company.  I am looking at the Barska 6-24x50 Varmint Rifle Scope to put on my Winchester .243 WSSM.  I am wanting to make a decent little coyote hunting gun.  Let me know your thoughts. 
Whitedogone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 06:10
First of all, you need to rethink the power range of the scope.  6X anything is way to much power for yotes.  3x or maybe 4x would be the highest I would go in a variable.  You will need less than 6x at sometime.... trust me.  14-16x on the high end is plenty.  As to the Barska..... you couldn't run fast enough to give me one of those.     
Ogle18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ogle18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 11:32
Alright, so what scope would you recommend for me, something with about the same price range as Barska.  Under $100?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 16:27
It is hard to get a good scope under $100.

It is pretty impossible to get a good high magnification variable in that price range.

THe best scopes for around $100 are Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 and Sightron S1 3-9x40.

Alternatively, you could save up some moremoney and get a better scope.  For about $200 you can get a much better 3-9x40 from Burris or Sightron.  If you want more magnification, you will need spend more for good quality scope.

Ilya
new .220 swift View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new .220 swift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 02:00
I recently puchased a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 6-18 power. I love it. It cost around 120 dollars but it gathers light really well. the only down side is the 50mm objective lens and you shouldn't put it on a rifle with alot of kick. I am not sure about the kick on the rifle you have but if is dosn't have alot i would reccomend this scope. I had to buy extra tall scope rings for it. The man at the store where I bought it has had a couble of the same model scope but in a lower power and he loves it. 

Edited by new .220 swift

Ogle18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ogle18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 20:13
I am wanting a scope to do a little varmint hunting with, maybe some coyote or prarie dogs...  Do you think the Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 would do the job?  The gun this scope would go on is a Winchester .243 WSSM, it doesn't create alot of kick.  What type of gun do you have your Bushnell Banner scope on NEW .220 SWIFT?
new .220 swift View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new .220 swift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2006 at 01:10
I put the scope on a ruger m77 mkII target model in .220 swift. 

bagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2008 at 22:12
Don't buy Barska, NOT GOOD save your money
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic