OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

illuminated reticles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: illuminated reticles
    Posted: December/29/2005 at 23:10

Need some input on illuminated reticles scopes to be mounted on a Sako 75, 7mm STW.  Less than $1000.00, preferably a lot less.  I would like the high end of the magnification to be somewhere around 12 up to 16.  I have been looking at the following.

Leupold VX III 4.5-14X50 ill.

Burris Signature Select 4-16X44 LRS 

I need good low light optics.  It's all about long range hog hunting.  

tarboroheel1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarboroheel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2005 at 23:46

SIGHTRON SII 4.5-14x42mm MIL DOT ILLUMINATED RETICLE SCOPE

This scope has Exact Track, would be good in low light, optics are top of the line and best of all, you can get one at a bargain right now.

Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 01:00
Thanks for the info tarboroheel1.  I'm assuming the bargin your refer to is at SWFA, Riflescopes.com?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 10:21
A Sako deserves more than a Sightron. and there is a reason it's a bargin.
Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 12:45

Dale,

Got any recommendations?

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2005 at 08:46
On that gun I would go for Leo's 2.5X10 LPS, or one of Nikon's Titanium models in the power range desired. as a analogy it amazes me to see someone buy a $700 Kimber 45 and put it in a $20 Uncle Mikes holster.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarboroheel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2005 at 09:00
Dale Clifford: When compared to the scopes mentioned above, the Sightron stacks up very well. Not to mention the scope you recommend is not even in the power range he is looking for. The scope I recommended retails for around $550, I just know somewhere you can get it on clearance for $299. If he's not interested, let him say so. Everybody has their own preference, but I would put a Sightron on any gun, no matter the cost of the gun.
Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2005 at 21:46
I appreciate input from anyone.  If I knew all the answers I wouldn't be seeking advice from others.  That being said.  Presently I have a Leupold VX III 3.5-10X50 on the rifle. I decided to try an illuminated reticle after my last hunt. As you probably know the scenario, critters (hogs) out at late dusk, I could make out the sillouette but no crosshairs.  I am a little reluctant to sink a large sum of money into a scope with a lighted reticle an find out I don't like it.  On the other hand I do understand you get what you pay for.  I may try the Sightron since I have read a lot of positive reveiws and if it does'nt meet my standards I'm not out a lot of money.
chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2006 at 01:46

Longshot,

Try that Sightron if that is what makes you happy.  However, I think you were right on track with the Leupolds and Burris Scopes.  Now, you may want to also consider that Burris has just come out with a new scope, but it is only a 4-12X 44 and I believe it computes the ballistic hold over for your caliber of choice.  It is BRAND NEW!  Electronic and I forget what other features that it has exactly, but go to their website.   www.burrisoptics.com and you can read all about it.  That might be what you are looking for.

I was seriously thinking about buying another rifle just so I could buy that scope!

Hope that my input helped you.

SEB

shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2006 at 16:35

Originally posted by tarboroheel1 tarboroheel1 wrote:

Dale Clifford: When compared to the scopes mentioned above, the Sightron stacks up very well. Not to mention the scope you recommend is not even in the power range he is looking for. The scope I recommended retails for around $550, I just know somewhere you can get it on clearance for $299. If he's not interested, let him say so. Everybody has their own preference, but I would put a Sightron on any gun, no matter the cost of the gun.

I just got one of those and figured I'd try a Sightron based on what I've read here.  Only other scopes I use are Leupys and a couple Burris - not counting a few old, re-worked El Paso Weavers.  Haven't shot the Sightron, as it's going on a .17HMR I haven't finished bedding.  But - it seems to be a real well-made scope.  It's bright, the illumination seems fine and adjustments have a solid feel.  According to Sightron, they're discontinuing this scope because sales of their illuminated scopes have not met expectation.

I'm basically a Leupy kind of guy, so buying a Sightron is a big gamble for me, but a $550 scope for $299 plus good reports here and elsewhere make it a potentially good buy. 

Edited by shootr
Shootr
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2006 at 19:47
Longshot asked for my recommendation because it didn't include any on his list doesn't change anything. A sako still deserves a better scope than a Sightron. Maybe it's ok on a .17. Iluminated reticles are highly over rated and work best when ambient back lighting such as a street light is present not in the same line of sight as the target. This provides a contrast in the target field that allows enough definition to use them especially on the higher powers. Sending the leo back and having the reticle replace with a thicker one or a German #1 is still a better choice than a Sightron.
Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2006 at 20:03
My thoughts as well shootr. I ordered a Sightron 4X14X42 ILL. That model has target knobs which I realy don't need but I can live with for the price. If the scope does'nt meet my expectations I won't be out a lot of money and can mount it on an auxilary rifle. I respect the input from others but opinions are subjective and you'll never know unless you try something yourself.  After all thats how we all learn, sometimes the lesson is inexpensive and other times costly.  I purchased a S&B a while back and granted it is an excellent peice of optics but it is not $1000.00 better than my Leupold or some other scopes I've used for less money.  As someone stated before there is a point of dimishing returns.
shootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 02:44

Originally posted by Longshot Longshot wrote:

... I purchased a S&B a while back and granted it is an excellent peice of optics but it is not $1000.00 better than my Leupold or some other scopes I've used for less money.  As someone stated before there is a point of dimishing returns.

Exactly how I think about it.  Wish I could give a range report on the Sightron, but it will be a few more days before I wrap up this dog gone bedding project.  Never done one before, but boy am I learning!

Shootr
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 03:51
Dale, have you had a bad experiennce with a Sightron?

Ilya
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 18:31

Wow that is interesting since Sightron seems to be a pretty highly recommended scope?????? I fail to see how the price plays such a big factor.  Last time I checked a Leupold of comparible series is actually only  $20 less then my Zeiss and there is NO comparision betwen the two the Zeiss wins at every level.

On a side note, I have a Colt 1911 .45 that I had built  (lots o' $$$) and I have two custom holsters for it, which also cost lots of money.  While I wont take anthing away from the holsters they truly are horsehide works for art.....but you know what holster the gun rides in for cocealed carry ....a cheap plastic Fobus. 

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 19:42
Price certainly plays a factor.  A $1500 S&B is a better scope than a $400 Sightron.  However, within certain price ranges some scopes are better bargains than others.  Is a $600 Leupold better than a $400 Sightron or Burris? Not from what I've seen.  Those two hundred bucks seem to be mostly an advertising premium.

Leupold is heavily overpriced though for what it is.  It seems that Dale is just a Leupoldophile.  There are quite a few people out there who do not think that anything out there that's not a Leupold is worthy being called a riflescope.

Leupold makes good scopes, so people that buy them are happy with them.  They are just not better than the competition.

Ilya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarboroheel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2006 at 19:57
I called Sightron and asked why they discontinued the illuminated line and they said it was due to the fact that they didn't sell enough to justify making them. They had no issues with the scopes themselves. I'd like to know how you like the scope when you get it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 00:06
I'm still not sure that I need or want a lit reticle.
I have only owned one, a Schmidt und Bender.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 02:37

Cheap trick,

How was that Schmidt and Bender?  Was it really well made and do you still own it?  I have never tried to put that much money into a scope and was wondering about those who do.  I mean it is ok and everything, but I would always be afraid of dropping it, and would always be worried about it.  Do they offer a great warranty?

Just curious?

Scott

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2006 at 05:55
Originally posted by chasseur106 chasseur106 wrote:

Cheap trick,

How was that Schmidt and Bender?  Was it really well made and do you still own it?  I have never tried to put that much money into a scope and was wondering about those who do.  I mean it is ok and everything, but I would always be afraid of dropping it, and would always be worried about it.  Do they offer a great warranty?

Just curious?

Scott

Scott:
The scope was a 3-12x42mm with a L7 reticle.
The scope was superb, as are all S&B's. A little on the heavy side.
I bought it used for $900 online from a guy. Perfect condition.

It was mounted with  Talley QD rings, on a Remington Sendero S/F .300 Ultra Mag and performed perfectly. The S&B replaced a little Nikon Buckmaster that was on the rifle when I bought it.

No problems ever, ever.
I traded the rifle/scope to a guy who owned a gunshop for a pair of 10x Nikon LX Venturer binos and some cash.
I loved the rifle, but really wish I wouldn't have let the scope go!! 

As far as the warranty, I wouldn't know.
A guy from the gunshop I used to hang out at had some problems with his and sent it back. I'm not sure if they handled that problem in the States, or if it went back to "The Fatherland".   

All in all it was the second best scope that I have ever owned. Second only to my US Optics SN-3.

Scott, there's a lot of good hunting scopes out there now a days. If you have the money to pony up, by all means get a Zeiss VM/V or a Schmidt.

As koshkin and others have preached on here, there's a point of "diminished returns" in optics.
A point where a hunter is spending more money than he really needs to.
Sure the top shelf Euro's are some better. But how much better?

Coatings and glass quality being what it is, is hard to justify paying $1500 for a hunting scope when $500 gets you a Conquest.

The Conquest has created a "New World Order" in optics. 

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic