OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leatherwood Uni-Dial scope test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leatherwood Uni-Dial scope test
    Posted: March/14/2011 at 21:57

So I went and bought a Uni-Dial 4-16X50, I couldn't resist the temptation to see for myself what these scopes were like. For starters the 30mm tube and top angle focus make for a beefy looking optic; the reticule is nice with several elevation and windage reference points. As for clarity it is very good edge to edge and with a First Focal Plane reticule P.O.I. did not shift to any noticeable degree for a hunting optic. I shot at 4X, 8X, 12X, 16X referencing same P.O.A. with rapid shots, all inside a dime at 100yards. Now the resettable elevation zero works great along with the zero set for windage, I shot the "box" and tracking was good with the last shot printing right next to the first shot (my error and a warm barrel threw the last shot).

This is not a Bench Rest optic and once zeroed and flags are set for desired yardage it works excellent! I have not experienced any problems with a loss of zero and for field use it runs out great. Do some reading on
FFP reticules and adjusting for clarity and you will love the No Math Mil - Dot system.

I found this helpful advice on adjusting for FFP;

“The focus for the reticule and the parallax adjustment are such that when you change the parallax setting on a first plane scope you will sometimes lose sharp focus of your reticule. Therefore, most scopes have a fast-focus eyepiece. This is for the reticule and nothing else and First plane scopes also cannot change point of impact when changing magnification because the reticule does not move.

Just thought I would post some experience with a Leatherwood, these scopes seem to get  a lot of bad press and really should be looked at for there value. Clear glass, holds zero, A/O works great, click adjustments are positive.

One Ragged Hole, The quest for accuracy continues.
www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
Bob the nailer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 19:58

I have read other reviews on Leatherwood/Hi-Lux optics and usually the china made fact turns most people away. I first started to try the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux scopes with the CMR 1-4x24 fitted to a M4 platform and performance was Excellent! (Shot Gun News, David Fortier,10, November, 2010). My next purchase was a Uni-Dial 4-16x50 with the 45^ angle “Top Focus” and first focal plane this glass was mounted on top of an accurate 22-250 varmint rig. Again I was impressed with tracking, zero hold, clarity and excellent focusing. While looking thru an issue of Shot Gun News (10, March, 2011) again David Fortier runs a piece on a Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 2-7x32mm LER scout scope, he mentions talking to Hi-Lux’s president John Wu at “Shot Show” and was informed of his (Mr. Wu) desire to produce high quality optics. There are several other aspects mentioned of technical improvements along with European optic technology being used in the Leatherwood/Hi-Lux optics.

I am likely to buy a 7-30x50 Uni-Dial scope to complement my 6mm-284 and run it thru some drills. I think this brand of optic will become better known since they are seeing more print in shooting magazines and they are worth putting an eye to one and printing some groups to prove there worth. I wouldn’t criticize these scopes until you have used them in the field as I have and find they are well worth the money.  

www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 22:05
Hello Bob.  Welcome to the OT.  I have not had any bad experiences with the Leatherwood scopes I own and I am very happy with their quality.  I have the original 3-9 Sporter, the 2.5-10 M1000 and I am currently, when at home, reviewing a 14CMR on a 375 H&H.  I look forward to hearing about the 7-30.  I know that the company recently ( in business time) purchased its own factory and is instituting a stringent quality control program patterned after some of the finest Euro scope makers.  I was fortunate enough to speak with Mr. Leatherwood on the phone a number of times shortly after he introduced the 3-9 Sporter and am very glad to see that his enormous vision is finally nearing fruition. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 01:47
Are you sure this is an FFP scope?

Leatherwood does not list any FFP scopes on its website.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2011 at 11:17
Koshkin, you are correct I gave Leatherwood a call and yes they are second focal plane. However the mechanics that are used prevent  P. O. I. change when diffrent power settings are used, I must have misunderstood the concept of reticule size changing vs target size changing. Lessons learned are good, other than that I really like the repeatability of P.O.I.
www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
IRON MIKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON MIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2011 at 00:08
    I have been using a leatherwood 7x30x56 in F class competiton on a Savage 10 tactical 308 shooting out to 600 yards. It is working great. I am using the 1/4 min windage and elevation adjustment version. which is better for moving that bullet in that type of competition. the advantage of the variable power is that you can use the 30x and if the mirage is to bad you can turn the power down for that clearer picture or read the mirage to cauculate the shot.the power on the scope is sufficient that I don't need a spooting scope to read the target as it comes up for score,and the provided sun shade keeps that flare and glare out of my field of view when shooting. The clicks are positive which is essential in this type of competition.   Leatherwood is coming out with a reproduction of the 8x unertle that was used in WWII Korea, and Viet Nam. for vintage sniper CMP competition which I also shoot.    CAN't WAIT Sharp Shooter
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 12:26
I have been sending rounds down range with the 7-30x50 Uni-Dial and have had zero problems. When shots are grouped to same P.O.A. while changeing magnification power I didn't have any noticable shift of P.O.I.  Have only been able to test the clarity against targets out to 300yards with my 6mm-284, bullet holes are easy to spot and clarity of the glass is excellent!

These scopes are a fantastic deal for the money!
www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
IRON MIKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON MIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 22:51

When a variable scope changes zero after a power change this is called optical shift. it is of course unaceptable. this is because the reticle is not set in the center of the optical axis. this can only be done by the factory or a trained technician. over the years I have inspected many brands of rifle scopes to see how much optical shift they may have and you would be amazed at how many do if even the smallest amount. For example a 3x9x scope that is zeroed at 9x then is turned to 3x looses its zero slightly or a great deal because the reticle is off axis. When the scop is zeroed at 9x and then you turn it to 3x or anything in between the scope stays zeroed then the reticle is set to the center of the optical axis and is optiacally centered. at Iron Sight Inc great care is taken to make sure all variable rifle and pistol scope reticles are set to optical center befor they leave. I have checked many of Leatherwood High Lux scopes and every one is optically centerd out of the box I have never found to have this adverse affect.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob the nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 11:33
Iron Mike, Thanks for the informative answer. Once again all the better reason to buy a Leatherwood. Excellent
www.knowyourzero.com

Bob the nailer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic