OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cooper 280AI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper 280AI
    Posted: March/13/2011 at 15:55
Ok, have banished the 50 cal demons from my mind as too impractical and not needed.  So still left with some funds from tax refund, and thinking of Cooper 280AI in the Excalibur.

Have never owned a Cooper, feedback would be good on these, and I did read they fired the member of leadership who was donating to Obama, so thats good. 

Also, thoughts on the 280 vs 280 AI?  First, I dont reload yet, but plan to someday when I find time begin that.  Ammo isnt too bad from the Nosler Custom line, around 45 a box.

Use would be honestly mostly sitting in my safe (and occasional hunt, was thinking it could do about anything), but I saw this as a good bridge between my varmint rigs and my 308 cal, as I dont have anything currently in between.   Really I dont get the chance to shoot as much as I would like, but find firearms as a good investment that I can pass on to my kids someday.  Some people like gold, I like firearms and ammunition. 

Appreciate your thoughts.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 17:25
Cooper rifles in general shoot really well.  I have 2 (M21's in wood, not Excalibur), and they're about as accurate as any factory rifle I've ever fired.  A buddy of mine likewise has 2 of them that I've shot a great deal, and like mine, his are also spooky accurate!  I like 'em!  I was about ready to totally write off Cooper after the revelation of Dan Cooper's donation to and endorsement of Obama.  But, their management fired him, Wilson Arms took control of the company, and Danny reportedly no longer has any financial connections to his former company, which has improved my attitude toward them somewhat.

Incidentally, on another topic, I counted at least 10 very legitimate justifications for buying a new rifle in that one post!  Great job!!!Excellent
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 17:27
...not to mention the chambering is inherently cool, which is itself compelling justification!!!Cool

There's nothing the AI will really do on critters that the plane jane .280 won't.  But, you can shoot standard .280 in the AI chamber, .280 AI headstamped brass is now readily available, and the AI does give you another 100 - 150 fps (albeit at higher pressure than .280), which bridges the gap between .280 and 7 RM.

So, "why not AI?" I say!!!

Edited by RifleDude - March/13/2011 at 17:34
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 18:33
I have a cooper in 223, I have a 5 shot group in my "keeper" book which measures .29 inches.

I've toured the factory several times, they are impressive to watch, and they stand behind their product.  Great people who enjoy guns, hunting, fishing, and all live and work in Montana.

Basically I'm saying great company, I'd buy one if money was burning my pockets. 
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 18:48

I have read both that you can use regular 280 in AI chamber, and that you cant.

Assuming a modern new firearm in 280ai, is the current thought that it is ok?

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 19:23
Yes you can use any factory 280 ammo in the 280 Ackley. Afterall, that's how you fire form brass.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 19:28
In that case it makes it an easy choice to opt for that over the standard 280.

Any negatives effects or accuracy impact?

Thanks for all the info.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 20:50
There's no downside unless you're a deer.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 08:00
the AI would be my first choice if i were to buy any standard head cooper rifle. it just has so much going for it, the .280 rem is an awesome animal already. when you "hot rod" it to an ai its all the more better.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 08:14
I have one Cooper...a 25-06 in the Jackson Hunter model. It shoots very well and has done so for several years. My only wish is that it were a bit lighter. Other than that, I'd highly recommend one. Excellent

Edited by bugsNbows - March/14/2011 at 08:14
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 12:41
I also have a Cooper Jackson Hunter 280AI and its the most accurate center fire I have owned. It is also very accurate with factory 280 ammo. In a pinch I would not hesitate to use factory 280 on a hunt.

To the OP, IMO the 280 and 308 are in the same gap! If you have the lower end covered maybe one of the new Cooper's in 338 WM might be a good choice.

I also have a Jackson Squirrel Rifle 22LR and that is far and away my favorite gun. It is far more accurate than I can ever hope to be.

Randy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 14:39

I think most of us here would love a cooper in 280ai, buy it and don't look back.  Just remember to post pics, we love rifle smutt!

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 17:40
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I think most of us here would love a cooper in 280ai, buy it and don't look back.  Just remember to post pics, we love rifle smutt!

Just rifle? LOL. Say What

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
EchoWhiskeyOne View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EchoWhiskeyOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 18:37
Hmmm...INTERESTING!

Cooper .280AI, or my M70 .280REM?

I am opting for BOTH!

But no, seriously...I don't think that you can possibly go wrong with either offering.  
If you find it arbitrarily pleasing to burn our Nation's Flag, do all the rest of us a favor and wrap yourself in it first.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 18:52
Going with the Cooper 280ai for sure now, trying to find a nice looking one, in stock, for a decent price.  Found three that I would take, but they have all been sold....
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 22:11
Shooting Times has a nice article on this round in this months mag... pretty good read.
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 22:25
Check with Hendershots or  Cove Creek Outfitters.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 23:15
Thanks Roy, have a couple emails out now...got the bug on this one for sure now.  Got my scope for it ready to go, Euro Diamond 3-12 LRS#4 that I got on closeout....Just need rings  and the rifle :)  Best rings for the Leupold bases in 30mm?  Must confess i have no leupold bases in my arsenal....
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 00:03
It's a sickness with no know cure...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 07:13
Dammit, Roy!

Every time you post a pic of that beautiful rifle, I just get sicker!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic