OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax Pioneer II 4.5-14x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax Pioneer II 4.5-14x42
    Posted: March/11/2011 at 19:02
I was looking for an HMR scope, and found one of these on ebay for $139 and free shipping.  There was a thread awhile back about some Pentax scopes maybe being transferred to China, but I figured that was as good of a deal as I was going to find in this magnification range and decided to take a chance.  The scope arrived today.

Upon taking the scope out of the box, I immediately checked the turret housing.  Yep, "China" stamped right on it.  Crap.  I was aware that some Pioneers were at least similar to Fullfield II's.  While the specs and appearance may be similar, it's not nearly as solid feeling as my Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40.  Both the adjustable objective and ocular housing/mag ring feel kind of loose.  The ocular housing might actually have a little play in it.  I haven't checked it for optical quality, but I also consider myself to be a horrible judge of optical quality.  I pretty much just buy what you guys tell me are good scopes.  I have been pleased with a 4200, Viper, Fullfield II, and Monarch so far.

Oh well, at least it's just going on a Savage HMR.  If it holds zero and doesn't leak, I'll be happy.  Then again, I don't have that Fullfield II 3-9x40 mounted on anything yet, and it does have the ballistic plex.  I just thought I could use more magnification on what will be a starling and paper rifle...

So after buying this, I'd recommend sticking with a first generation Pioneer.  I don't know if all Pioneer II's are made in China, but I wouldn't take the chance again.

Edited by jason miller - March/11/2011 at 19:05
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 19:08
Thanks for the info, Jason.
-Matt
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 21:12
I believe only pioneer II are made in china.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 21:54
Anybody know if if all of the Burris FFII line is still made in the Philippines? The Fullfield E1's are priced low enough to make me wonder.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 22:53
Yes the FFII's are still made in the Philippines. 
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 04:00
Jason your info is pretty much how I understand the sequence of events unfolded regarding the pioneer series from pentax. I know the one I saw was exactly as you indicated the body looked the same but the dials under the caps looked completely different . Anyway let us know how the scope performs dials in and holds zero etc. as a $139 14power variable is still pretty reasonable. I have one of the original pioneers and it is nice and clear and appears to be a burris made scope. It's not the most svelte thing I have ever seen but it worked out pretty well for my stevens 200 223 as I was looking to put together a budget rifle for the range and to use as a casual varmint whanger.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic