OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tubb's Final Finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tubb's Final Finish
    Posted: March/11/2011 at 17:44
Going to take the Final Finish to my AR 5.56mm barrel this weekend and see if I can "get it's mind right". 
I've used the Tubb's Throat Maintenance deal for my .308, but couldn't tell any difference.  

The AR is my Bravo Co. middy that has been 100% reliable and will cycle a trash can, but I'm only getting 1 MOA, 5 shot groups, (on good days) at 100 yards. Most days with hand loads, I'm only getting 1.5-2 MOA groups. Occasional wicked flyers, which may be contributed to user error.  Wink 

AAR to follow. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 17:56
Just to double check, its not a chrome lined barrel is it?

I used that on my old .308 barrel.  Did not really help in the accuracy department that I could tell.  It did make it clean a little better though.

If you really want it to shoot good, buy a White Oak barrel.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 17:58
Yeah, chrome lined. Does it matter? 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:49
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Yeah, chrome lined. Does it matter? 

Hell yes it matters!!!  It's a well known fact that the adhesive used to hold the grit on the Tubb bullets chemically reacts with chrome and produces a gas that when inhaled will make your 'nads quit working!

Don't do it, man!

I'm here for you, buddy.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 20:37
Guess not.  I thought I read someone that it was not recommended.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 20:41
I used Final Finish on a .308 and on a M1 Garand. Neither shot better, but are easier to clean.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2011 at 17:05

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Guess not.  I thought I read someone that it was not recommended.  

Didn't mean to pop off on ya, ST. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't about chrome lined barrels and Tubbs. 

Well, all 50 rounds loaded up and ready to roll.   

If this don't help, then I'm taking supertool's advice and calling up WOA.  Call

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 12:01
Uh....looks like I'll be calling WOA for a barrel, or just build a 6.5 upper on a LH Stag receiver.  

Cleans much easier, but as the others noted, accuracy is basically the same. No better than 1" groups and most were damn near 2" with Georgia Arms 68gr. match rounds after the Final Finish was done.

The 5.56mm upper is reliable and relatively accurate enough for a SHTF deal.

Thanks for the comments! 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 08:05
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Uh....looks like I'll be calling WOA for a barrel, or just build a 6.5 upper on a LH Stag receiver.  

Cleans much easier, but as the others noted, accuracy is basically the same. No better than 1" groups and most were damn near 2" with Georgia Arms 68gr. match rounds after the Final Finish was done.

The 5.56mm upper is reliable and relatively accurate enough for a SHTF deal.

Thanks for the comments! 

this isnt going to sound normal for me to say, but here goes. i would do a 6.8spc myself.Loco

wow that hurt to say! me telling someody else to pick a .277 over 6.5mmShocked
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 08:14
CT, dont do a Grendel Build.  Follow ILya's lead or Pyro's advice.  A 6.8 or a 264LBC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 10:21
Yeah, I'm done with AR's. I'm keeping this one, but I'm getting another bolt gun instead of another AR.
Filthy pigs!  AR's crap where they eat and I'm sick of cleaning it, frankly. 
Clown  
And no....I'm NOT considering a piston drive any time soon.  Loco  Wink
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 10:48
lol  I thought I was done with them too.  This new big bre has me smiling again though.Big Grin
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 11:20
I am, I might build one more. I have had a few but can't get with them. Its like dateing a high maintance lady. shot a few thru her and you just lost money and your steadly cleaning and trying to keep it in the house do to the work involved in taking her out.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 11:28

CT you still clean it with carb/brake cleaner and treat it like a $2 hooker?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic