OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm-08

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 12:58
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

Buddy has one and it's a excellent round. Some of the claims I read about it on the internet are a bit overblown but that doesn't diminish it's overall usefulness as a good all around medium game cartridge. It would certainly be on my short list of considerations if I didn't have 4-5 medium game cartridges already.

thats not a good excuse to buy another gun Big Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 13:34
There's nothing I can add to what's already been said about the 7-08, except to concur that it's a great cartridge that will do far more than its size would seem to indicate.  If I had to declare a favorite big game cartridge, considering everything, I'd probably have to give the nod to the 7-08.  I can think of no downside to having one.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

There's nothing I can add to what's already been said about the 7-08, except to concur that it's a great cartridge that will do far more than its size would seem to indicate.  If I had to declare a favorite big game cartridge, considering everything, I'd probably have to give the nod to the 7-08.  I can think of no downside to having one.

what if you had 2 of themBucky
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 13:38
Yeah, Let's see I have a .22,.24,.25,.264,.277 & and a .308 maybe your right and I do need to fill that glaring .284 hole in my line up. I already nearly have a nervous breakdown the night before opening day trying to decide which rifle to take, that just might push me over the edge. What I really need is a golf bag to carry all of them in so I can select which one to use based on the shot that presents itself.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 13:39

Yeah, Let's see I have a .22,.24,.25,.264,.277 & and a .308 maybe your right and I do need to fill that glaring .284 hole in my line up. I already nearly have a nervous breakdown the night before opening day trying to decide which rifle to take, that just might push me over the edge. What I really need is a golf bag to carry all of them in so I can select which one to use based on the shot that presents itself.

Laugh
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 13:56
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

what if you had 2 of themBucky

I could have the same chambering in 2 entirely different rifles, therefore, they are different.

See how easy that works?Big Smile
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 13:59

That first sentence pretty much sums up the logic I use to justify a new rifle purchase!

Eventually, you'll be like me and have multiple rifles in the same caliber, so then you get to selecting which rifle to take based on whether it's raining or not... and actually convince yourself that this is a perfectly valid reason to buy another rifle.

Hang in there, it gets easier over time. Cool
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 14:10

That first sentence pretty much sums up the logic I use to justify a new rifle purchase!

Eventually, you'll be like me and have multiple rifles in the same caliber, so then you get to selecting which rifle to take based on whether it's raining or not... and actually convince yourself that this is a perfectly valid reason to buy another rifle.

Hang in there, it gets easier over time. Cool

you just keep doing what ted tells you and everything will be just fineWink
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 15:57
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 16:18
I might have to "settle" for a 7mm-08 because no-one seems to be chambering the .260! 
take em!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 17:02

Savage does.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 17:26
Guys I've been trading around for so long (about 35 years)& I've had so many nice rifles, shotguns and pistols I sometimes remember a certain rifle like when some friend goes wow those old FN browning safaris are really cool old rifles and I think " I had one of those what did I ever do with that ." I half expect to someday look in an old drawer or closet and find a gun I've long forgotten. Ted I already have a rainy day rifle in my stevens 200 , 308. Like I said I have worn out all of the old excuses and to a point that my wife just gave up.

Edited by powderburn - March/11/2011 at 17:30
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:25
Man, I wish I could get my wife to give up.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 18:30

Guys I've been trading around for so long (about 35 years)& I've had so many nice rifles, shotguns and pistols I sometimes remember a certain rifle like when some friend goes wow those old FN browning safaris are really cool old rifles and I think " I had one of those what did I ever do with that ." I half expect to someday look in an old drawer or closet and find a gun I've long forgotten. Ted I already have a rainy day rifle in my stevens 200 , 308. Like I said I have worn out all of the old excuses and to a point that my wife just gave up.

Remind me sometime, and I can give you a fresh set of excuses you can use!

I'm here to help!Big Grin
Ted

mseoutdoors View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mseoutdoors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 21:02
The 7mm-08 is an awesome cartridge. I would argue that I were to have only one gun to hunt north american game this would be it. The 7mm-08 can do everything that the .308 win can do with higher ballistic coefficients for the same weight bullets. 7mm-08's and .243's are just necked down .308's. 7mm-08's can be loaded with bullets ranging from 110 grains all the way up to 175 grains. The only north american animals that I would not recommend a 7mm-08 for would be large bear. For deer, elk, black bear, and with the right loads and ranges, even moose, it would still be fine. You won't go wrong with a 7mm-08.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Savage does.

So they say, but I can't seem to find one for sale!
take em!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 23:26
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Savage does.

So they say, but I can't seem to find one for sale!

I hope this place isn't considered a competitor, if it is I apologize, but they do have a few .260's for sale and in stock, for a good price to. They are good, I've done business with them.

Edited by Bigdave - March/14/2011 at 23:27
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 10:44
That's funny - I've been checking there - they must have just come in.  I tried to call and email them and couldn't get thru.  I want it with the accu-stock, not sure if those two have it.

Thanks for the heads up BD!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 10:47

It's the one I've been looking for!

Specifications
Action Bolt
Caliber 260 Remington
Barrel Length 22"
Capacity 4 + 1
Trigger Accutrigger
Safety Thumb
Length 41.75"
Weight 7 lbs
Stock Black Synthetic AccuStock
Finish Stainless

SS 260 REM ACS DBM

Edited by Tip69 - March/15/2011 at 10:48
take em!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2011 at 18:50
Yeah, I want that same rifle chambered in 6.5-284 but I'm having a hard time with the wife agreeing that I should get it without parting with one of my others first. I just can't bring my self to sell a gun, only buy them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic