OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 1-4x24 or Swaro Z6i 1-6x24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 1-4x24 or Swaro Z6i 1-6x24
    Posted: March/08/2011 at 11:05
I"m an older gent with less than perfect eye sight looking for a new scope for a .223 AR. Application is for night hunting of small to medium sized varmint at 150 yds max engagement. I have handled both scopes and only hesitate going wirh the SWFW because of my eye sight and want to be sure I can make head shots to preserve the hide, not just shoot to kill. I'm not sure if I will need the extra 2x and glass clarity for night hunting. Thanks in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 11:12

I don't think that the extra 2x will be usable in low light. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 11:21
If primary use is night hunting you will want a larger objective than either of those IMO.  I would get the Swaro 1.7-10x ill reticle if it were me. 

I have the 1.7-10x Swaro and the 1-4x SWFA.  The Swaro does have better glass, but the SWFA is a crazy good deal when comparing $$$$.  I would bet you get 90ish% of the glass quality for almost 1/3 of the price for an illuminated Swaro.  But if you got the cash the ill swaro would be the way to go IMO
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 17:31
I have a high output green led light that I use as well, so I'm too worried about the 24mm objective being a problem.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 17:51
IMHO, the Swaro z6 illumination is second to none and the circle dot illuminated reticle is an excellent choice (1-6x or 1.7-10x). It's kinda pricey for an AR though, I'd look into the SS 1-4x like Supertool suggested.

Edited by mike650 - March/08/2011 at 20:18
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2011 at 05:07
Any interference problems with the SS mounted on a Badger unimount with a full length rail?
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 18:20
I ended up purchasing a Z6i with the BRT rectical. Thanks SWFA.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 18:32

Thats hot!  
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2011 at 18:43
I'm also up there in age,I originally purchased the Z5 3-18 with the BRT ret.couldn,t see the ret at all!This led me to the purchase of a Z6I 1-6x24 circle dot just got to say it's the best hunting scope I've ever owned,it is scary good.The illumination is terrific can't say enough good things about it.I have yet to hunt with it but do put it through it's paces at sun up/sun down[30mins before & after] 
Good luck with er & let us know how it worked out for you.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Utah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2011 at 12:10
I have not looked through a Z6 with the circle dot. However, here is some food for thought. It is my understanding that both the Z6 and the newer S&B short dot use LED technology similar to the Aimpoint. It is bright but I have older eyes and the Aimpoint dot gets a halo around it no matter how I adjust it. It is not the optic but my eyes. The brighter the dot the bigger the halo. This is not a problem with the 1X Aimpoint but I would not want it in a precision optic. I don't get this effect with the mat red SS HD design. The Z6 and short dot are also totally dependent on the illumination in low light because the reticle is so fine. This is not the case with the SS HD. The reticle is bigger and bolder and would give some reference point.  In dim light if you adjust the reticle low enough to be usable and not over power your field of view both designs work. However if you use a weapon light or get any bright light source on target, the big bold SS HD reticle instantly appears in black. With the finer smaller reticles you have a wash out until your eyes adjust.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic