OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best bang for my Buck$?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best bang for my Buck$?
    Posted: March/07/2011 at 12:26
Greetings and salutations OT :)

I've been lurking here for the last couple weeks, reading about rifle scopes and bino's.  After reading many threads and replies that are almost what I wanted to know, I've come to the realization that I need to just ask and see what you folks have to say :p

I've recently returned to hunting after a very long hiatus and am planning a somewhat all purpose rifle for big game.  I'll be buying a 300 magnum, although I haven't decided whether it will be a win mag or wby.  To go along with this rifle, I'll be buying a new scope.  I will be hunting Mule deer and Roosevelt elk in eastern washington, with shots likely between 1-300 yards over rolling hills and high desert plain.  Occasionally I may be hunting black tail in wooded areas much closer.  My initial thought was a Leupold VX-3  4.5x16x40 B&C... obviously this puts me in the 600.00$ range, and this is where my questions begin :)

I definitely want more zoom than a 3x9.  My current set up is a remmington 721 in 30.06 with a (new) redfield 3x9.  And while I do like this scope on that rifle, I want something that can go out a little farther if I need it.  I like the 4.5x16 of the vx-3.  Aside from this power requirement, the rest of what I want is pretty standard... The best optics, reticle, construction, transmission, ect that I can get for my dollar.

Right now, I hold no allegiance to any brand, I like Leupold because they're fairly local, have a good reputation and the one that I've looked through at the range was beautiful, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks very much for any and all help, in advance.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 13:12
IMHO, these would all make good choices and are within your price range, with the exception of the Conquest. If you could get along with a 3-9, then many choices open up for you at extraordinary prices.
I also think these scopes are > VX3. Big Skys and Vipers are on sale right now.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9166.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11230.aspx

http://swfa.com/Burris-4-16x44-Signature-Select-Rifle-Scope-P2985.aspx

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-45-14x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P5409.aspx

Edited by Alan Robertson - March/07/2011 at 13:28
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 14:22
I've not been a big fan of Leupold and have had issues with the 3 out of 5 that I've had, but that being said, I'm starting to realize that they do actually stand behind their products and get them repaired in a timely manner and that means something.
Vortex also has a good warranty and good customer service so far, but they are fairly new to the scope world so who knows how that will be in 20 years.

I've been a big Burris fan as I loved the 3-9x40 I've got, but I'm just not sure about them. I recently bought a used one off of eBay and when I got it, it was bad. The adjustments for the elevation seemed really hard to turn like they were binding up. Luckily the guy refunded my money and I chalked it up to being used. So then I ordered one of the clearance 4.5-14x42 ones from SWFA and when it got here it was bad right out of the box. The eye piece has a bit of wiggle and when it wiggles it makes it look like the crosshairs are moving. These two bad in a row, one used and one new has just kind of made me loose faith in the Burris scopes. They are really good glass though. I will have to see how Burris handles this, or return it to SWFA, but from what I've read online the reports of their customer service isn't so great.

I honestly tend to think I'd go Zeiss if it was me, or maybe give Vortex a shot. It seems like I have nothing but problems with mid priced optics like Leupold, Burris etc. On the other hand I've used a few Simmons and Tasco's and never had one fail me. They have all been good to me.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 15:08
Honestly, I would not discard 3-9x40 scopes so easily.  While you Redfield is a decent scope in its own right, it is an old design and a cheap scope to boot.

A higher quality 3-9x40, like Zeiss Conquest or Minox ZA-3 3-9x40, would work MUCH better at high magnification than your Redfield.

Aside from that, consider Sightron S2 Big Sky 4-16x42, Weaver Super Slam 3-15x42 and other similarly priced and configured scope.

Still, if I were you I would stick with magnification of no more that 10x at top end and get the best quality you can afford.

9x or 10x is plenty of magnification for you distances.

ILya
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 16:50
I didn't see a budget there, or how much money you wanted to spend.  I'd advise checking out the 4.5-14 band of magnification in about a 40 mm objective lens. 

As far as brands, and bang for the buck, check out nikon or weaver.  I have a grand slam I took to africa and it got used/beat pretty hard and never lost zero. 
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 16:57
Welcome to OT! If It was me, I would take a serious look at the 3-9x40 zeiss conquest.
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 16:58
Maybe check out the Minox ZA5 3-15x42.  It's around $500 and there are 4 different reticles to chose from  

http://swfa.com/Minox-ZA-5-Riflescopes-C3107.aspx
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 17:45
I have to pretty much agree with Koskin that 9x or 10 on the top end is plenty for a big game rifle. I will volunteer that since you are interested in the leupolds and if you are happy with your redfield then you should be thrilled with the vx III and there are some good buys out there in the 3.5x10's either new or on the sample list or in the classifieds. No use spending an extra $300 if you don't need to and you'll have a really nice scope.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 18:32
Welcome to the OT!
+2 on the Zeiss or the Minox can't go wrong with either.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 18:57
Some great advice from Ilya, tman1965, and Vermin 93.
I'm in the same camp as all three.
dave1004 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave1004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2011 at 19:47
I just picked up a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS for my hunting rig (270 WSM).  It has nice glass but I really like the illuminated dot.  The glass on the my Conquest 3-9x40 Z600 is a little better but the firedot helps me get a fast sight picture when the pigs are moving... and I've been successful taking shots out to 400-500 yards.  I think the VX-R will replace my Conquest.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 16:33
I'm trying to get ahold of the idea that 9x is not enough for a 300 yard shot, or a 600 yard shot for that matter.  I've always used Leupold scopes for the most part and have yet to be dissatisfied with one.  Even my longest shots  have been set at no more than 6x.

Being always on the lookout at different optics, I have been looking real hard at a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest.  No thought of needing more magnification.  It is hard enough to get field steady enough at 9x let alone more.

I'm another to agree with Koshkin about the magnification.  Be sure you have a clean, working scope that is properly focused and 9x should be more than enough

Edited by Klamath - March/08/2011 at 16:34
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 18:31
what part of  eastern washington are planing on hunting? I use to live over there , 200 yrds shots & out are more than average shot where I was hunting at there.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 20:20
That Minox Z5 3-15 has a nice low end, and a nice high end.  Should be just the ticket for what you want, regardless of whether or not you need the magnification.
-Matt
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 21:31
Good glass at 9X trumps mediocre glass at 12-16X every time. 
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 22:27
I use a SS 3-9 on my 270 to shoot out at 1000 yards on targets.  I have shot many deer on 6x or less here in Montana at ranges past 200 yards. 

That being said, the 3-15 recommended is a good scope for the range you want.  I think a 3-9 or 3-12 would do what you want.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2011 at 07:18
The viper 4-12 is a great scope as well
kyblev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2011 at 08:41
Alan,  Once again knowing what your budget is will tell what optics you can afford.  I just received my Zeiss Conquest 4,5-14X44 with the Rapid-Z 800 the other day and love it.  I mounted it on a 7mm Ultra Mag, because the scope was made for the pounding of mag rifles and duplex as well.  The scope is very bright at low light conditions and comes with a great warranty.  The only problem I have with the scope, is why they put cheap plastic caps on the windage and elevation turrets instead of metal ones.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 10:00

sorry for the slow reply folks, just got back from a recharge trip to a beautiful CCC cabin in the olympics :)

thanks very much to everyone who's made suggestions so far, i'll probably spend the rest of today looking around at prices and options on the suggestions you've all made to see what i think will work best for me :)

now, to address some questions...

i thought i mentioned my budget, but if not... 6-700$$.  this is the amount i expected to spend on the VX-3 with the options i wanted.  Obviously my wife would love it if i came in under that number :)

Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

what part of  eastern washington are planing on hunting? I use to live over there , 200 yrds shots & out are more than average shot where I was hunting at there.

Near Naches, in the rimrock GMU, and that area :) 
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2011 at 10:25
Just to catalog what's been suggested thus far :)

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-45-14x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P5409.aspx Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P1437.aspx Zeiss conquest 3-9x40
http://swfa.com/Burris-4-16x44-Signature-Select-Rifle-Scope-P2985.aspx Burris Signature Select 4-16x44
http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11230.aspx Vortex Viper 4-12x40
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9166.aspx Sightron S2 big sky 4-16x42
http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x42-Super-Slam-Rifle-Scope-P40562.aspx Weaver Super Slam 3-15x42
http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x42-ZA5-Riflescope-P48160.aspx Minox ZA 5 3-15x42

The Zeiss 4-14 is a little out of my price range, and honestly I was under the impression that any of the Zeiss scopes would be out of my range.  I'm pretty much an optics newb, but even I've heard the Zeiss name.  I'm under the impression that Zeiss is the gold standard in optics, am I wrong?

Considering quality and my price range... of the scopes listed above, would I be better off with the zeiss 3-9 or one of the others with more top end?  I would like to be able to zoom out a little more than 9x, but if a higher quality glass would truly make that much of a difference at the top end of a 9x, then maybe I don't need it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic