OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old Nightforce vs New Leupold VX-3??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Nightforce vs New Leupold VX-3??
    Posted: March/06/2011 at 12:15
I am in the market for a relatively high magnification scope for my custom 6.5 Gibbs rifle.  I plan to use this rifle shooting deer, hogs, coyotes etc. from stands over senderos in south Texas (lots of twightlight action) and occasionally at night, hunting hogs. I have an opportunity to pickup an older nightforce 3 X 15 X 56 nightforce varminter that has a small illuminated dot in the center of it's crosshairs. I had been looking at purchasing a Leupold VX-3 4.5 X 14 X 56 B&C illuminated reticle scope.

The NF is out of state and I haven't actually looked thru it nor will I have an opportunity to do a direct comparison.  I was hoping some one here might have had experience with both of these scopes and could give me their views on which would be the better scope.  I'm wondering if the newer lense coatings have made up the difference between the quality glass of some of the older top end scopes.  Any other suggestions for a combination "longish"  range/low light multi use scope would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 13:19
Neither choice sounds ideal. In the case of the NF, you can't know for sure whether it's in good condition (mechanically or optically). The Leupold has a smaller magnification range, particularly less on the low end, restricting field of view. It's also an $1180 scope with not a lot of advantages at that price. You didn't say how far out you'd be shooting, but a scope that lacks target turrets and has a somewhat funky reticle isn't going to be much use out past 300-350 yards. That distance doesn't even require or benefit much from any reticle beyond a standard duplex.

I'd look at the IOR illuminated scopes since the glass is very good (http://swfa.com/IOR-Valdada-Hunting-Rifle-Scopes-C89.aspx) or the Vortex PSTs (http://swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-Rifle-Scopes-C2860.aspx) which cost even less and come with a lot of usable features - illumination, 50mm objective, 4-16 mag., target turrets, zero-stop and a variety of reticles.
Reaction time is a factor...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 13:20
Tough call, what are the $'s both ways?

I am not sure target turrets will be much use in twilight conditions. Tactical turrets may be more usefull.

Edited by 8shots - March/06/2011 at 13:22
FreshDK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreshDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 14:26
OT: What is the difference between target turrets and tactical turrets?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 15:18
Size. U know genetics. 
Gerald Baker
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 16:09
To me target/tactical mean the same thing - in other words, turrets that are uncovered, turnable with your fingers (rather than a coin or other such B.S.) and that have markings.
Reaction time is a factor...
Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 18:55
Thanks for the IOR link.  I didn't realize that I could get an IOR 4 X 14 X 56 for about the same money as the Leupold.  It looks like the Vortex only goes up to a 50mm objective lense.  Has anyone compared these to some of the older high end glass.

I can get the NF for $800.  It looks like for the same price as a new VX-3L I can get a new IOR.
Does anyone have first hand experience...to have compared them?

I'm quite comfortable hitting where I want with a holdover type reticle out to 500yards, so turrets aren't a big factor in my decision with the right reticle.  My night time shots will seldom be at more tha 125 yrds or so with most around 100 yrds.

Thanks for the replies Ive gotten so far.  Please feel free to chime in especially if you've got or had some of the older top end glass that you've compared to the new stuff out there.

Scott
BrushyHillGuide View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrushyHillGuide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2011 at 19:09
I don't have any experience with the VX-III line (I'm looking at them right now, for a particular rifle) but I CAN tell you what I love about my Nightforce scope- especially hunting hogs and predators under moonlight! It's the infinitely adjustable brightness of the illuminated reticle! Every other IR scope I have, and have tried, was TOO BRIGHT for night hunting, at least under moonlight alone. On all the other scopes, the animal gets lost behind the bright reticle even at the lowest setting. The Nightforce can be turned down SO low that it's only barely visible and that works AWESOME for shooting hogs and predators under moonlight and without any other supplementary light!

If you're going to be night hunting, the Nightforce is a better scope for the purpose and, I believe, a lot more durable than a Leupold VX-III. Nightforce's customer service is terrific too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic