OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barnes TTSX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barnes TTSX
    Posted: March/06/2011 at 11:58
I got a box of .284 150 grain Barnes Tipped TSX bullets that i am going to reload with for my 7mm WSM, and from the place online that i got them it said this(  Barnes recommends initially seating bullets 0.050" off the lands. Best accuracy will be found from 0.030" to 0.070" depending on the rifle.) I am really new to reloading can anyone tell me exactly what this means?

Edited by dezmick - March/06/2011 at 16:15
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 16:47
Dezmick, each chamber is different.  The manuals recommend a COAL (Cartridge Overall Length) that is measured from the case head to the tip of the bullet.  This COAL is a length that will fit in any factory chambered rifle in that caliber. 

But as a reloader you can seat to any COAL that you want as long as if will fit in your magazine and is not so long that when you chamber the load the bullet will hit the lands.  You can load into the lands if you know what you are doing and do not plan to extract the load before shooting because the lands will grab the bullet and may pull it out of the case filling your chamber and action with powder.  Benchresters do it but they mostly shoot single shot.

You have to have a way to measure how long you can load the round to fit your chamber before the bullet will hit the lands.  There is a tool marketed at the usual places by Hornady called the OAL Gauge which is the most common way to measure.  Some will very slightly squeeze the case neck into a slight oval shape so that it will hold the bullet but can move.  Then you just barely seat the bullet and stick it in your chamber, close the bolt and the lands will seat the bullet to the length of your chamber.  Just be careful the lands don't grab the bullet and pull it partway back out.

You can also take a 1/4" dowel and stick it down to the bolt face down the muzzle and mark it at the muzzle.  Then take the bolt out and drop a bullet to the lands holding the gun upside down and hold the bullet in place with a pencil.  Insert the dowel back down to the bullet tip and mark it again.  Measure between the marks.

Remember to subtract the distance you want to load off the lands.  For instance if your measurement was 3.150" then you would seat to a distance of 3.100" if you want to seat .050" off.

Probably with your 7 WSM you will just load to fit your magazine since most short actions have quite a long jump before you hit the lands.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 19:37
I don't believe that you want the bullet touching the lands because that could cause excess pressure. The barnes will shoot fine at the suggested amount of the bullet jump. You can seat the bullet a little bit long and try to chamber the round. Keep doing this in small amounts of say .010 thousands until the bolt closes easily and check the over all length. At that point seat the bullet another .030-.040 thousands. You will need a dial calibers to check the overall length. A dial calibers will cost about 25- 30 dollars.Excellent
Black Bear Road
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 20:01
I already have a dial caliber, and just to see if i am getting this right, when they recommend seating the bullets between 0.030" and 0.070" that means that the 0.070" one will be into the shell a little bit more making the coal (cartridge overall length) shorter, is that correct?

Edited by dezmick - March/06/2011 at 20:14
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2011 at 20:39
Originally posted by dezmick dezmick wrote:

I already have a dial caliber, and just to see if i am getting this right, when they recommend seating the bullets between 0.030" and 0.070" that means that the 0.070" one will be into the shell a little bit more making the coal (cartridge overall length) shorter, is that correct?

Correct
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic