OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Analysis paralysis has taken hold...advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Analysis paralysis has taken hold...advice?
    Posted: March/05/2011 at 12:33
Okay, here's the situation.  I need three scopes. 

1.  One is for a 5.56 AR-15 which I will use mostly just for plinking and maybe the occasional varmint that strays into my path.  I like the Burris P.E.P.R. setups, so I plan to use one of those.  I was looking at the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 scopes that are on sale right now.  I'm not clear on whether the sale price is included in the listing or if the discount it taken once you check out, so that might change which reticle I choose.  The discounted Burris Fullfield II scopes are also a possibility.  My budget is about $300 total (including the mount).  Less would be even better, but I really don't want to buy crap quality just because it's cheap.

2. & 3. I have twin Savage 10 Precision Carbines - one is in .308 Win. & the other in .223.  My intended use for the .223 is mostly target shooting & cheap fun at the range, along with  occasional coyote/varmint hunting from time to time.  The .308 Win. is going to be used primarily for hunting (deer, etc.).  My favorite and most common hunting trip is hogs in Texas at night, so I tend to favor the illuminated reticles; however, I've already got two guns with nice illuminated reticle scopes on them that serve my hog hunting needs just fine. 

For these two guns, I've been intrigued by the SWFA SS scopes and the Vortex scopes, but I've never personally seen either of these scopes and it makes me nervous to buy something that I haven't put my hands on.  I have usually bought Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold, Nikon Monarch, etc., but I'm trying to think outside the box here.

I would rarely if ever take a shot farther than 300-350 yards.  I tend to favor the 30mm tubes and larger than 40mm objectives because I like to get the best low light performance I can get.  My budget for these two scopes is about $700 max per scope.  I'd rather keep it closer to $400 per scope if possible, but I'll wait and save up the money to get the better ones if necessary.  The SS 3-9x42 has been catching my eye quite a bit, but I'm not a big fan of the mil-dot reticle even though I'm sure it wouldn't present any problems.

Thoughts, recommendations, ideas....all are appreciated!
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 12:35
To be clear, the most common shot distance for the Savage rifles would probably be 50-200 yards.

One more thing:  The reason why the Vortex and SWFA scopes appeal to me is because of their no BS reputation for customer service.  I'm big on that kind of stuff.  I don't want to get jerked around if I ever need anything, and from everything I've seen both of these outfits have a stellar reputation/warranty.

Edited by AstroVic - March/05/2011 at 12:44
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 13:15
1. I have looked through the 2x7 vortex vipers and they are nice. I like the C3 ret. and the price on the page is the discounted price you pay.

2. SS scopes are great. I do not have the one you are talking about but they seem to be the sh*&. They would be a good choice for a no hassle good dependable scope, usable for what you have stated. I like SWFA's no hassle backing of their product.

I am also interested in the Vipers. I just got the reg viper and am looking forward to getting the pst i love that ret.

Edited by 308 Sav - March/05/2011 at 13:19
Gerald Baker
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 13:17
if you normally buy 4200's and monarchs the vipers wont let you down at all, same level of quality optically.
ive got a 2x7 viper with the c3, and its sitting on my .375H&H, its a tough scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 14:00
Thanks, guys.  I'm also looking at the new Vortex Viper HS line that's hitting the market.  I like the fact that they have 30mm tubes and a wider magnification range.  I haven't really been able to find anything that shows what kind of light transmission they have (95%, etc.).  That's probably the only thing holding me back on them right now.  I love the SWFA SS 3-9x42, but those are definitely toward the top of my price range.  If they're truly worth the extra cost over the Viper HS scopes, then I'd probably go that route.  But if they're comparable for my needs (hunting & range fun) then the Viper HS seems to fit the bill nicely.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 15:00
This keeps coming up, but the size of the main scope tube, whether it be 1" or 30 mm has nothing to do with light transmission.  That is a function of the lens quality and coatings and how much light in the system, which is determined by the objective lens size.  In other words a 50 mm scope will have more light than a 40 mm scope.  A 1" 50 mm scope has the same light as a 30 mm tube 50 mm scope.  The 30 mm scope serves to provide strengts and has more room for a wider windage and elevation adjustrments.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 17:12
That is correct, Klamath.  I didn't state that correctly.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I still prefer the 30mm tubes whenever possible.
Flats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 20:19
I was new to optics, used this & other forums and bought a Viper sight unseen.  I can't tell you it's better than this or that scope, but I can tell you an anecdote.  I hunt with a guy whose family has always owned land, been moderately wealthy and he's hunted since he was old enough to hold a gun.  He's a 40-something CPA, and while he doesn't own $1000 Swarovskis, he's never owned a cheap scope either.  Nikon, Leups, Bushnell, etc.  When he heard "Vortex" when he asked me about my setup, he was polite but had clearly never heard of them.  I let him shoot a five round string, and when he first looked through the scope his only word was "Wow", took it off his shoulder and started studying it and asking me where I got it.

It ain't scientific, but I don't think you'll be disappointed for the price.
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 20:51
The more I learn about Vortex, the more I like what I'm seeing. 

I'm thinking about getting a matching pair of these for the Savage rifles.  They seem to meet all of my needs, and they have a nice 4" eye relief - something I always appreciate.  I wonder when they'll be available?  I have an out of state coyote hunting trip planned in September, so I'd like to have plenty of time to get the .223 dialed in.

Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4307
  • Accepting Back Orders for Summer Ship Date
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$499.95 < name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Price$VS" id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl08_Price_VS" value="oRIFQSBFaCiqILjIf5ADyFc2qCr5pUemiLFnkQgugFnrsB9NmGDo/YFs/FUZRl1w" ="">
Add to Wishlist< name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl08$Add2Wishlist$VS" id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl08_Add2Wishlist_VS" value="3o4MB4u6uA84yHX/W1P4mI12jCbAZCDtZCTelD5IUegVa7p24uWY8ceq5TCxrxiu" ="">

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 21:11
Vortex Viper HS is unlikely to be available until summer.

Aside from that, here are my recommendations:

1)Vortex Viper 2-7x32 is a good choice in your price range

2)223Rem Savage: Sightron S2 Big Sky 4.5-14x44.  This is a good power range for a walking varminter.

3)308Win Savage: SWFA SS 3-9x42

ILya
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 21:33
I just ordered the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for my AR-15.  I will seldom shoot with that upper on it, so I didn't want to break the bank with anything too fancy.  It's really just a plinker more than anything.  I guess once I get my eyes on it, I'll be able to get a (somewhat) better feel for the Viper lineup.

I can definitely wait until summer for the Viper HS scope(s).  I like the idea of maybe going with the SWFA SS 3-9x42 for the Savage .308.  Somehow, I don't think I could go wrong with any of those options.
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 22:07
Just got the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 in the mail.  Wow, that was fast!  Thanks SWFA. :)

I have to say, I'm impressed with this scope right out of the box.  While I haven't had a chance to use it yet, it just seems like a really solid piece of equipment.  And not that it really matters all that much, but the whole package was a lot nicer than a ~$600 Leupold I recently bought (and sent back today for a refund).

Now to get some glass for those Savage 10PCs.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.  I sent a trade request to SWFA but I haven't heard anything back from them yet.  Not sure how long that usually takes.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 22:41
What are you wanting to trade in? Shoot me a pm and I might be interested if you want to sell it. 
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2011 at 22:59
I sent you a PM.

I'm considering the possibility of getting two scopes - perhaps one SWFA SS 3-9x42 and one 10x42 or 16x42 - and switching them back and forth between the twin Savage 10PCs as needed (range use vs. hunting use).  Since the bases and rings will be identical, it shouldn't be too hard to switch them within a minute or two and get them dialed back in, especially once I learn where they are hitting on paper.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2011 at 08:50
For the 308 and your stated use I would go with another viper 2-7. Since you state that your long range shots would be 300 yds or so sight in 2.5-3" high at 100yds and always shoot at fur. For the 223 then any of the 4-12 or 4-14 scopes in the mid price lines you have should be adequate for your stated purpose it just depends on if you want to twist knobs or not.
AstroVic View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2011 at 17:16
Okay, here's what I decided to do...

I'm going to pick up a few good deals on the Burris Fullfield II's and wait for the new line of SWFA SS scopes to come out.  Word has it that there's going to be a 5-20x50 and perhaps a 3.5-16x40 (or something to that effect) coming out this summer.  I don't know if that's true, but, if so, there might be some slightly used Burris scopes on the Used Optics board before too long.  We'll see...

Anyhow, I ordered the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 illuminated dot/reticle for the Savage 10PC .308.  The price is just too good to pass up and these scopes have outstanding reviews everywhere you look, so I had to see for myself what the hubub is all about. 

Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Electro-Dot Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200156
  • Matte
  • Electro-Dot
  • 1"
  • Digital Dimmer
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • Normally $329.95
$199.95 

And I also ordered the Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 for the Savage 10PC .223.  This package comes with a freebie 3-9x40 rimfire scope which will work nicely as a cheap upgrade to the POS that currently sits on my Ruger 10/22 (something I've been meaning to upgrade for about 15 years!).  This package also currently has a $50 cash rebate from Burris, so, again, it was just too good of a deal to pass up.  I got sets of Talley one-piece aluminum base/rings for all of them.

Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Ballistic Plex Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200183RF
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Burris 3-9x40 Rimfire Scope
$379.95 

Edited by AstroVic - March/09/2011 at 17:19
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic