OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who Likes It??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneeyegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Likes It??
    Posted: March/04/2011 at 12:22
Do not see much mention of the SS 20X42 scope. I realize a price is paid in performance when the magnification goes up, but what might the drawbacks be with this scope vs. the 10X or even the 16X in this particular model? If a standard 6.5-20 Vortex Viper was set at 20x and compared to the SS 20X side by side would they be anywhere near alike in quality of view? I already have a 10X SS (not the HD) and it's real clear and sharp, at least for my elderly eyes.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 05:47

I have 4 of them on different rifles and find them to be perfect for what I do.Targets from 50-250 yards from a bench,and at 250 I can pick out my 223 holes with ease. Once the focus and paralax is set these are crystal clear for my 59 year old eyes,something I can't say about most of the variables I own,granted they are not high dollar scopes but the SS fixed power scopes are much better.
 IMO they are well worth the money.
froggy
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 06:29
I could give you a good comparison later today. I now have that viper you mentioned and a 16 x ss that I will compare it to at 16 x magnification. 

As with any high mag scope if the conditions at the range are there the glass will look a little hazy. that is just the facts. The better the glass the less effect this has. I will say this for the SS, line they work and work well. Reliable, rugged and very reasonably priced for the glass and tracking you get.

Should know something by noon today. They delivered it yesterday while I was at work and left me a note. I am picking it up at 8 am.
Gerald Baker
oneeyegood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneeyegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 09:12
308 Sav, thanks. I suppose I am like many who are financially challenged these days simply looking for a decent scope at a decent price. I do not own a single rifle that is as valuable as any of the "high end" scopes currently available. I am not into any serious competition and about as far as they travel is from my vault to my bench which is about 30 yards. I simply like to shoot on my range and see what accuracy levels I can achieve with my guns and loads. I chose the SS 10X and have had great shooting with it but would like to have an idea about the 16X & 20X SS. Wish there was someone nearby who has one I could look thru but there isnt.
rjtfroggy,I agree, my SS is a lot sharper than the variables I currently have but none of them are high quality either. I do own an old 6.5-20 leupold I bought in the late 70's and I would say even it is not quite as sharp as the SS. I hear much praise for the Vortex line (Viper) and might be tempted to get one, but the SS will have first consideration. I hear their CS is the best too.
Trying to get a good mid to low end scope can be a minefield with all the advertising hype these days and the hands on experience of the folks on this forum is much more reliable. I do not think a second mortgage on the house is necessary to get a good clear workable scope. My father and his brother hunted with scopes in the late 1940's thru the 1960's and got what they shot at at ranges up to 400 yds. Seems these days the old Weavers & Lymans are unusable. We've sure come a long way, or have we?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 13:04
I have not been to the range yet with this scope so this is just initial observations. OK, it is raining and overcast today so not perfect conditions. I set the Viper on 16 power and of course the SS is 16 power.

Glass: Viper is slightly better. Not a lot but slightly. Special Note: Ability to dial down power for a sharper image goes to Viper of course.

Eye Box: Viper is a little better

Eye relief: Hands down the SS

Turrets : True tactical Knobs on SS Easy to read. Viper still turns with fingers and covered if you are walking through brush.  Personal preference here. 

Tracking: SS is solid. Viper feels good, but to be determined at range still.

Ranging: SS is the winner because it is always the same size in relation to the object. You do not have to worry about magnification and mil spacing.

Warranty: Toss up.

Summary: 

I feel the normal SS line is a great scope and would recommend it to anyone looking for the great scope with good glass at $300.00 dollars. If you are a target shooter it s a great entry level scope, if you can not afford to spend a whole lot more. It just works and works well. 

If you have a need for a variable power at a decent price with good glass, $400.00 is still a bargain with the Viper. Durability still has to be proven to me. But I do like it.

For me the Viper fit what I was looking for: decent glass, a variable with good mag range and not too hard on the pocket book. With that noted for 99 % of my shooting the 16 SS has done all I needed for the last 5 or 6 years.

So if you just want a 16 or 20 power to shoot paper or steel and no need for a variable then go with the SS. If you are wanting a variable of similar glass at not too much more then think about the Viper.

Gerald Baker
oneeyegood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneeyegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 16:21
Thanks, going to get another SS.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2011 at 17:04
Update here are some pics of the glass comparison. 

Conditions out my window with flurries flying, 5:30 PM and overcast. Not the best camera for this sort of thing. Both scopes look better to the eye than the pics. Both are at 16x magnification so yes the mil dots are different. With that said though it does show the difference in sharpness and color between the two. This apartment balcony is about 440 yds away. 

Vortex Viper :

SSx16

Edited by 308 Sav - March/10/2011 at 17:08
Gerald Baker
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2011 at 22:06
Looks like the Viper has the slight edge in clarity to me...hope the neighbors weren't looking back when you did this...thanks for the pics.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic