OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any Experience with the IOR FFP 2.5-10x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Experience with the IOR FFP 2.5-10x42
    Posted: March/03/2011 at 09:32
Really like the size and features of this scope for one of my meat guns.  Does anyone have experience with it yet? 

My main concern is IOR's spotty CS and durability.  Anxious to hear how this one is measuring up.

Thanks in advance,

Scot
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 09:50
I have it and like it allot.

My singular gripe about the scope is the 2.5-4X "tunnel effect."  By that, I mean that the field of view does not change below 4X, all that changes is that the image gets smaller by showing more tube, looking like the image is being sucked into a tunnel.  I hate tunnel effect.

Other than that, the turrets are a big improvement (though feel still isn't my favorite, but far better than previous generations.)  The illumination is fantastic, with just the center dot illuminating rather than the whole reticle. And, at its lowest setting, it is now usable in low light - prior generations, that weren't the case.

Glass is good.

IOR does have 'hit-n-miss" customer service, but they seem to have worked out many of the bugs from prior scope releases.  The 35mm tube scopes were more prone to failures a few years back, I hear little of 30mm tube scopes having issues.

My 2.5-10 was initially purchased for a 300 Whisper, a subsonic 30-cal round that rainbows, to say the least.  I liked the 15 mils of drop on the reticle, nice for doping shots where the round falls fast.

It is a good scope and a vast improvement over older IOR scopes - even the older 2.5-10.  I wouldn't worry about customer service on this one.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 10:00
RC,

Thanks for the info.  Very helpful.  I understand your frustration with tunneling.  I don't like it either.  In my case though I would likely have it on 4x at its lowest so this wouldn't be too bad of a deal! 

I love the "rainbow" rounds and have had the 300 Whisper on my list for a while.  I got into long range shooting with rim-fire and precision airguns and the whisper seem like the next logical step.  Cool Round.  Are they as quiet as I hear they are?

Thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 10:11
Suppressed, they are quiet.  Nothing is "Hollywood" quiet; but from a 16" barrel, it is about about as loud as a pellet rifle.

Rather than a 300 Whisper, I would recommend the new 300 AAC Blackout.  Unless you reload, Whisper ammo is tough to find - and usually expensive.

As for a Whisper being the next logical step, I disagree entirely.  The Whisper and Blackout are niche calibers and not for the inexperienced or casual shooter.  Add to that the need for a suppressor to make them worth owning, and it gets complicated fast.

They are fun, but far from simple.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 10:17
The next logical step in my enjoyment of accurate stealthy guns with loopy trajectories.  That is what I meant. 

I wouldn't consider myself inexperienced, am fine with getting permitted for a suppressor.  I will check out the Blackout. 

Thanks,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 10:24
Glad to help.

Subsonics are picky picky, shoot with great care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic