OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski 4A or Plex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski 4A or Plex
    Posted: March/02/2011 at 17:25
Toying with the idea of selling some gear and maybe picking up a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 that Doug has on a good sale right now.  Never had a 4A reticle before.  Does anyone have experience with their 4A reticle vs. their Plex?  Any advantage to one over the other for general hunting use?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 17:32
The 4a seems kind of wide.

The sponsor of this site, SWFA, has pretty great deals, and a price match gaurantee.
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 18:03
Difference between them is that the ret.leg going from zero north is always thinner on the 4a,while the plex has all 4 parts even.Both reticles have a some what thinner center where the cross hairs intersect.
I find the 4a a little easier to work with but alot of people tell me the plex pulls their eye to the center much quicker.This is a personal thing,they are both good try shooting with each & find what works for you!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 18:47
I like the 4 a lot better than the 4a.  Would much rather have the plex than the 4a
take em!
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 10:46
Have both, like the 4a better.  My 0.02...
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 12:08
I've had both Swaro's the 4 (or it's a 4a) and the plex.

The 4/4a by Swaro is not that wide, at least to me and is a great "all around" choice in most hunting conditions and it's fast.

I find the Swaro plex resembles a Leupold "fine duplex" and it works very well too but if most of your hunting is in low light conditions I would choose the 4/4a.

To sum it up, I like 'em both.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
boatammo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 14:56
I've had the 4a before in a ph and like it. Bought a z3 with a 4a yesterday.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 15:07
Originally posted by blacktails blacktails wrote:

Toying with the idea of selling some gear and maybe picking up a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 that Doug has on a good sale right now.  Never had a 4A reticle before.  Does anyone have experience with their 4A reticle vs. their Plex?  Any advantage to one over the other for general hunting use?

Who is Doug?

If the outer post thicknesses of these two reticles on the Z3 are the same as the reticles on the previous "AV" series, the 4A has thicker outer posts than plex does.  At least they are thicker on my 3-9X36 AV with #4 than my 3-10X42 AV with plex.  Usually, the #4 and #4A reticles have thicker posts, and the lack of a thick post in the 12:00 position provides a less cluttered sight picture in the upper half of the FOV.  So, you combine more visible posts in low light with less obstructed view.

But, it all depends on whose rendition of these reticles you're comparing as to which is bolder and easier to see in low light.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 15:49
My concerns about a 4A were that the Swaro version might be too wide at the center, and that the thicker posts might not be that all that thick.  Sounds like a personal preference thing, so I'm going to try and find one "locally" to actually see for myself, which means about a 1 1/2 hour drive to Cabelas (darn, I just hate going there Wink).  I really like the 4A I've seen on a Conqest, and hope that the Swaro version is similar.  As for Doug, he's a competitor with SWFA, but I'd definitely give SWFA a shot first if I decide to do this.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 16:37

I have the 4A reticle in a 3-9X Conquest, and the posts in it is quite a bit thicker than the #4 in my Swaro AV.  I haven't seen the 4A in the new Z3 & Z5, so I don't know if Swaro made any changes to the reticle or not when they changed the name of the series.

On the competitor thing, I figured that was the Doug you were referring to.  Keep in mind that this site is provided by SWFA, so please be courteous to our host and not advertise their competitors here. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by blacktails blacktails wrote:

As for Doug, he's a competitor with SWFA, but I'd definitely give SWFA a shot first if I decide to do this.

That would be a good idea, seeing as SWFA is already beating Competitor Doug's price on the 4A Z3 by $0.05.

Bucky
-Matt
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2011 at 00:01
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

On the competitor thing, I figured that was the Doug you were referring to.  Keep in mind that this site is provided by SWFA, so please be courteous to our host and not advertise their competitors here. 

And that is exactly why I purposely didn't mention any competitors names.  I enjoy this site, and I fully appreciate all that SWFA does regarding Optics Talk, not to mention their willingness to price match. They've done right by me so far Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic