OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FFP, matching reticle/turrets, under $1000?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFP, matching reticle/turrets, under $1000?
    Posted: March/01/2011 at 13:16
The title lists the details that I am looking for in a scope for a recently acquired 260 Rem purchase.  I've not totally ruled out a fixed power, but beings that this scope will be used for targets (to 1000yds hopefully) and hunting (varmints, predators, deer, pronghorn), right now I'm leaning towards a variable (FFP).  In researching what's available considering those criteria, the following list is what I have found (from memory):

Falcon Menace

SS 3-9X42

Bushnell (discontinued)

Vortex PST

Weaver (new, not available yet)

Are there any others out there that I should be looking at? 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 13:33
Pointer, I just got my first 260 Remington, it is a great round.

Have you used FFP scopes before?  Will the rifle primarily be punching paper or hunting?  And at what ranges do you plan to shoot most?

With those answered, we can help steer you in the right direction.

Be aware that many FFP scopes have either too small a reticle on the lowest power setting, or too large a reticle on the highest power setting.

There are numerous advantages to FFP, but in many circumstances, an SFP scope is a better choice.

Let me know and I am happy to help.

Bolt gun or semi auto?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
pointer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 16:28
I have not used a FFP scope.  It'll will see more use on targets, mostly steel out to 1000yds, but will see some time in open country hunting deer/pronghorns.  It will go on a bolt gun.

One reason I was considering a FFP reticle is that I like that the holdover/windage holds are the same at all mag settings.  I was thinking to dial for elevation and hold for windage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 17:37
Stupid question: you have access to a 1,000 yard range?

And how often will you be shooting 1000 yards?  More shots at 500 or so or more at 800+?

Opinions vary, but out past 600 yards, I want more magnification than a 3-9.  that said, the 3-9 is the best deal going in that market segment.  The Vortex PSt should be fine, I doing think glass is as good as the SS3-9 and am not sure on the durability as it is pretty new.

If you are willing to give up FFP, Sightron S3 makes a good long range scope for the money.

Be aware that many FFPs are all but useless for precision work either at the top or the bottom due to reticle size.

For steel at 1000, a 3-9 is fine.  And the 3-9 SS is a great all-around scope.  For precision 1000 yard, I'd go for more magnification, just be aware that a 6-24X or 5-20X is not much fun to hunt with when animals could wander out inside 100 yards.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - March/01/2011 at 17:37
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 00:05
The 6-24 Vortex PST Viper FFP with the MOA reticle is in that price range (hope I described the scope correctly).
I have one of the 5-20 Razor HD's with the MOA reticle.
I also have a FFP Leupold Mark 4 with Holland's ART reticle.
I also used (long-term borrow) a S&B PM II 5-25 with the ART Reticle for a year.

I have no problem being precise on the max magnification with either optic/reticle.
Since I use the MOA reticle for distance work there are times when I don't want max power and will turn it down and use it there.

When doing close up work the reticle basically turns into a plex reticle for all practical purposes.
With either a 100 or 200 yards and close up shot, you don't need the MOA reticle as you are on a direct hold on the animal (Crosshair will not be off of the animal).

The subtension of that reticle is the same regardless of the magnification. 
It may seem larger at higher powers, but it hasn't changed. 
Not a benchrest reticle for sure, but I have used a FFP at a couple of 1K matches with no problems.
Even at that, I can be pretty precise with the FFP reticles I am describing.

I also have SFP scopes.
I prefer SFP scopes for pd's and benchrest shooting.
For field, tactical, and hunting I prefer FFP.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
pointer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 07:17
RC- Yes, I do have access to ranges that go to 1000yds.  One 2.5hrs away and one 1 hr away.  In the immediate future, many more shots will be at much closer ranges as I've shot very little past 300yds.  But, I want to get to 1000!! ;)  Thanks for the advice.  The PST sure does seem to have all the features I'm looking for and appears to have a pretty good reputation, though the unreleased Weaver looks pretty cool as well. 

Ernie- If you can get me any of the scopes you have for $1K or under you would definitely be in the running for my best friend! :D  My plans for its use are more along the lines of what I think of as "field, tactical, and hunting" which is why I'm sorta leaning towards a FFP.  Though I would probably go with the slightly lesser powered PST, what are your thoughts on MOA vs. MIL?  I assume that if the turret and reticles match its pretty much a wash, would that be accurate?

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 07:48
Matched systems_-yes both are equal.
I prefer MOA.  It is easier for me to think that way and it is a finer graduation than the Mil -Radian scale when reticle ranging.
I don't see the last thing mentioned as being the main thing, as I only reticle range in the field when I have to.  Like when a LRF goes belly up, etc.
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 07:59
pointer,
The two scopes I have and the that I was able to borrow are surely more than 1K.

On your future scope purchase, do you typically hunt in tight cover where 6x would be to much magnification?
Ernie

pointer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 15:09
I used to not when I lived in UT and spent most of my time hunting there, ID and WY.  However, I now live in IN and do spend more time in thicker cover ;)  However, for my intended uses for this setup I doubt that 6X would be too much magnification.  Heck, I could probably even make it work here!
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 15:14
There you go. 
Now you can take advantage of higher magnification now!
E

Originally posted by pointer pointer wrote:

I used to not when I lived in UT and spent most of my time hunting there, ID and WY.  However, I now live in IN and do spend more time in thicker cover ;)  However, for my intended uses for this setup I doubt that 6X would be too much magnification.  Heck, I could probably even make it work here!
Ernie

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 17:24
If the reticle is decent, then the low end won't matter much. Use it like a duplex. It's not like there's a lot of ranging going on under 200 yards anyway.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 18:08
Opinions vary.

I hate really, really small FFP reticles at the lowest setting.  I know it is usable as a duplex, I just don't like them.
pointer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pointer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2011 at 07:14
So, other than the ones I listed there aren't any other scopes that meet my criteria?  Hmm...  Well, if not, I'll try to get my hands on a few of these and go from there.  Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic