OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

All I can say is "Wow"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All I can say is "Wow"
    Posted: March/01/2011 at 07:24

Took my sons to Gander Mountain last weekend, in the optics area they had several rifle scopes mounted to faux rifle stocks. Among them were several Leupolds, two Zeiss Conquests (one 44mm and one 40mm) a Trijicon Accupoint and various Bushnells & Nikons.

I found us a nice "dark spot" under a rack full of clothing and we began to evaluate the scopes. My oldest isn't familiar with any scope names other than Leupold, that's all I've ever owned, except for a couple older Simmons scopes.

My oldest son laid his hand on the 40mm Conquest before I did and told me how bright it was. After looking through several of the scopes I determined the Conquest appeared to be the brightest scope on display. To my chagrin it even outperformed the VX-3 I was looking through. The only scope that appeared to perform on par or exceed the Conquest was the $700 Trijicon.

I realize everything I've wrote is subjective, but it sure does support alot of opinions on the forum about the Conquest.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 07:26
We only speak the truff
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 09:16
Glad you got to spend quality time with your son.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 09:32
i think a lot of people dont realize how hard it is to get a "good" feel for how a scope will actually perform outside, when they only get to look at them inside under fluorescent lights. it does make a difference as you noted. good move by taking it into more normal type of lighting. the conquest really is a nice scope, especially considering its price.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
kennygss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 09:39
I looked at the Conquest and the New-VX-3's, I found them comparable on that day at the Range.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 09:45
The only "agenda" I've seen on this forum is that we try to support SWFA in our purchases.  They are a great company with "real" customer service! 

The regulars here all have their own opinions and if you stick around and get a chance to look thru a lot of optics and keep an open mind, you will probably find out they know what they are talking about.

"Marketing" is a hell of a concept and some companies do more and a better job.... this place shifts thru all that and gives you a honest alternative to consider.  I have sure learned a lot here and hope to continue to keep learning.

I put Conquests on both my son's deer rifles and they are pretty damn lucky.... they may never need to change those out.  They might someday to a HD type or something, but they won't "need" to.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 09:48
Originally posted by kennygss kennygss wrote:

I looked at the Conquest and the New-VX-3's, I found them comparable on that day at the Range.

during the middle of the day or when??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 11:02
test into low light, into the night
that's when the difference between scopes becomes apparant
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

kennygss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennygss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 15:05
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by kennygss kennygss wrote:

during the middle of the day or when??

From early-ish AM (6:30) till around noon. The shooting position is shaded in the morning heavily. The Leupold was a 3.5 X 10, the Conquest, a  3 X 9, both on PDL's.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 23:23
I just compared my 3x9 Conquest to my 3x9 (both 40mm) Burris Signature Electro Dot in a shootout to see which would earn a place on my newly rebarreled M70 Win in .300 Win.
I set up both to look at the Bighorn Mtns about 6mi away and to some trees in the foreground at dusk until it was too dark to see.
I kind of expected the Zeiss to handily beat out the Burris, but to my surprise, it did, but by the smallest tiny bit. It was as close to a wash as you can get. The heavy Burris reticle hung with the nice black plex of the Zeiss. And with the E-dot on, it would turn the tables on the Conquest on a late low light shot.
I'm pretty sure that both scopes would take you well past the legal shooting time of 1/2 hr after sunset, however.
All said and done, the Burris retained its place on my elk rifle, unless it takes a dump.
And a very capable back-up.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 07:00

I'm not surprised at all.  The Signature Series are NICE scopes.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 08:00
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

The regulars here all have their own opinions and if you stick around and get a chance to look thru a lot of optics and keep an open mind, you will probably find out they know what they are talking about.

"Marketing" is a hell of a concept and some companies do more and a better job.... this place shifts thru all that and gives you a honest alternative to consider.  I have sure learned a lot here and hope to continue to keep learning.

I recently purchased a Bushnell 4200 because of the above two paragraphs. I would have never considered Bushnell before I questioned folks here.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 10:18
Nice comments, Mr. Duck!

Appreciated by everyone here!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 11:00

+1!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2011 at 11:39

Gander has the same display in Sherman, TX. I stopped in on my way back to Tulsa from Dallas last Monday.  Noted the same results. I was sighting a fire alarm in a dark corner over the Kayaks. When you can check them side by side you can't help but to see the difference. Glad you had the mind to post your findings Stud Duck.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 17:36
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Gander has the same display in Sherman, TX. I stopped in on my way back to Tulsa from Dallas last Monday.  Noted the same results. I was sighting a fire alarm in a dark corner over the Kayaks. When you can check them side by side you can't help but to see the difference. Glad you had the mind to post your findings Stud Duck.

Glad to know that you can still see the difference between a fire alarm and a kayak after having been to Tx.
Cheers
 gotta love that 6pt.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 18:16
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Glad to know that you can still see the difference between a fire alarm and a kayak after having been to Tx.
Cheers
 gotta love that 6pt.

That's funny!

Roll on Floor Laughing
-Matt
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2011 at 19:15

The bass pro shop in Springfield, MO has the biggest scope selection I've ever had the pleasure to look at, to many to pick from......

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
kyblev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2011 at 07:56
I was at the Bass Pro shop in Clarksville IN. last week to purchase a new VX-3 4.5-14X40 LR until I looked at the Zeiss Conquest.  I was also amazed at how good the scope looked and ended up purchasing one with the rapid-Z.  Can't wait until it gets here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic