OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica APO 77 v Nikon ED 50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ram187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica APO 77 v Nikon ED 50
    Posted: February/28/2011 at 20:35
 Due to bulk and weight I am thinking of replacing my Leica APO 77 20x60 with the Nikon ED 50 13x30, how disappointed will I be with this move?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 21:36
It depends on what you want to do with it.

If you are backpacking long distances, you might not be disappointed at all.  If you are disgiscoping or glassing long distances from a fixed position, you might well miss that extra magnification and resolution of the Leica.

Both instruments are near the top of their respective classes, but in separate classes nonetheless.
-Matt
dyve View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 06:48
Originally posted by ram187 ram187 wrote:

Due to bulk and weight I am thinking of replacing my Leica APO 77 20x60 with the Nikon ED 50 13x30, how disappointed will I be with this move?
Did you switch to Nikon ED 50? If so, hwo did it work out for you? Do you miss the Leica?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2011 at 16:36
Welcome to the OT,dyve!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2011 at 18:21

I could not imagine giving up my Leica APO 77 20x60 for anything else except the new Leica 82.

dsr
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2011 at 15:18
Ram, I don't think you will disappointed at all. I enjoy using my buddies Nikon ED 50. I find it has excellent glass, clarity and light transmission. It easily fits into a day pack and still leaves plenty of room for other items. Here's a pic from a recent vacation where i was using the ED50 to watch sailfish and boats. Even our wives liked it because it is so clear and easy to focus.

Am I a little biased, absolutely, but I still think you would be getting exactly what you are looking for.

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 11:02
For what it's worth, i have a Swarovski 80mm HD scope with the new WA 25-50 zoom eyepiece, on a carbon fiber Gitzo tripod. I no longer use it.
I exclusively use a Nikon 50mm ED angled with the 20xWA eyepiece, on a small Manfrotto tripod. The 20WA is a much better choice than the 13-30 zoom, IMO.
My only problem with the Nikon 50 ED is the lack of a good protective stay on case.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 13:28
Just remember though, in poor lighting conditions you'll be out of luck much sooner with any small 50mm obj spotter before you will with a 65mm, or especially a 85mm class spotter.  In broad daylight it probably won't be a life or death issue.  
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2011 at 09:44
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Just remember though, in poor lighting conditions you'll be out of luck much sooner with any small 50mm obj spotter before you will with a 65mm, or especially a 85mm class spotter.  In broad daylight it probably won't be a life or death issue.  
Yes, you are right. I've used both scopes long enough, sometimes side by side, to note that the smaller Nikon peters out about 5-10 minutes earlier than the larger Swaro. I can live with that most days.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2011 at 22:20
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

The 20WA is a much better choice than the 13-30 zoom, IMO.

Could you explain please.
ram187 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ram187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 21:19

Thanks for the good info guys, that Leica is just to much bulk. I found the Nikon ED50 for $623 shipped, is that about the best price out there?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2011 at 21:52
I finally bit the bullet on one as well, but it will be a supplement to my Razor HD.  I have already contacted Tines Up for a custom digiscoping adapter as well.  Should save some pounds on the backpack hunts.

-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2011 at 23:03
After a little time with my ED50 (with 13-30 zoom), I really like it.  I have used them before, but never owned my own.  After becoming used to my Razor HD's angled eyepiece, I decided to get the ED50 angled.  I had a chance earlier today to put it side by side with my cherry Burris compact 12-24X50 and my Razor HD85.

A few initial impressions:

1.  The ED50 is not quite as tiny as the Burris, but close.

2.  In good light, the Burris hangs closer to the ED50 in resolution than one would expect.

3.  The ED50 has outstanding CA control.  It is comparable to the Razor 85 HD in this area.  The Burris shows noticeable CA which hinders making use of its excellent resolution (and lowers contrast).  With the Burris, you have to see through the CA to see the details.

4.  The ED50 has very good edge performance, the Burris does not.

5.  The ED50 is very neutral in color, much like the Razor 85HD.  The Burris had a yellow cast.

6.  The Razor HD is a remarkable scope.  Even in good daylight it was the "easiest" view.  It seemed to look right "through" the mirage, if that makes sense.

I hope to have a good backcountry ED50 field test to post on the OT in a couple months.

As noted in another thread, I am working on a digiscoping adapter as well.

-Matt
CSmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2011 at 17:40
Have you sold your Leica. If not do you want to sell it to me? Bandito
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic