OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch X vs Viper HD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch X vs Viper HD
    Posted: February/27/2011 at 08:54
Good morning, I really enjoy reading all of the expert advice that this forum provides.  I would appreciate any comments relative to my decision on new Binos.  I have tried a friends Monarch X 10X45 and have viewed the new Viper HD in a store last weekend.  I am set on either one but would like some input on those that have experience with either one.  I am currently using Monarch 8X42 for the past 6 years and am ready to upgrade.  Thanks in Advance
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 13:32

I do not like the Monarch X. It costs too much for what it delivers. I have a profound dislike for the idiot rod between the barrels. That stunt ruined the ergonomics of the binocular giving it the handling ease of a brick. I personally wold take the Viper HD. This is a smaller much nicer binocular.

If you really want to upgrade your Monarch and want to spend less than the Viper HD I would seriously look at the Zen Ray ZEN ED 2 or the Theron Wapiti APO ED. In this case you can indeed get more for less
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

wheel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 13:48
Thanks Klamath, I will check out the two you mentioned.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 19:06
I don't think I have ever seen Klamath ever say anything good about a Nikon.  I guess this is
a good time for what you think you like best.  The Monarch is a very good binocular.  Many things
go into a purchase of a binocular.  Warranty, would favor the Nikon, the others mentioned,
??

Wheel, tell us what do you think, you have been able to handle both, which did you prefer?

Jerry

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 19:18
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Warranty, would favor the Nikon, the others mentioned,
??

I think warranty favors the Vortex, as it is lifetime, transferrable, and no-fault.  Zen Ray is pretty new, but has a great CS record in the time its been around as well.
-Matt
wheel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 19:24

Wheel, tell us what do you think, you have been able to handle both, which did you prefer?

Jerry

Jerry, I tend to be more partial to the Viper HD in 10X42, but this was in a store and I was unable to try them outside. The Theron's that Klamath mentioned sure sound good by what research I have been able to do today.  I hate these decisions.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 19:26
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

I don't think I have ever seen Klamath ever say anything good about a Nikon. 

Jerry

And I've never seen Jerry post anything but praise for Nikon.  Not to start a flame war, but this just goes to show when opinions are asked for, opinions are what you will usually get.  This is simply no different.

Personally I tend to like the high end Nikon, the mid range stuff, not so much.  That is not because I have anything against Nikon.  I just think there are better mid price options at each price point named something other than Nikon.  Big Smile  Don't make anything more of it than that.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 19:50
Originally posted by wheel wheel wrote:

Jerry

Jerry, I tend to be more partial to the Viper HD in 10X42, but this was in a store and I was unable to try them outside. The Theron's that Klamath mentioned sure sound good by what research I have been able to do today.  I hate these decisions.

I am thinking then to go with the one you like the best.  The Viper should be a nice pick, new model,
and then think about warranty.  Nikon and Vortex would rate among the tops in that category.

There are some new makes that have been mentioned, and they may also fit your needs, but they
are rebranders.  Longterm considerations are important, and that means warranty.  For me, a few
of years down the road, if I have some trouble, I would like some support.

Jerry
Sako7STW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako7STW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2011 at 00:26
I can tell you that my brother has the Monarch's and last year I spent a great deal of time behind my Vortex Viper (non-HD) 10x42's and his Monarch 10x42's.  Now granted, these were not the 10x45 X model. While daytime performance of the Mon's was good, when it came down to the 5x5 bull that was walking through the tree's right at dark, the Mon's fell flat on there face. It was not a comparison, the Vortex way outperformed the Monarch's.  Neither though was better than my 11 year old Zeiss 8x Diafun's.  I like Nikon, always have and thats why i own one of their spotters so no bias here one way or the other, nothing but the truth, whole truth so help me by God.
I will keep my guns, keep hunting, fishing and the outdoors. You can keep the change!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic