OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shotgun Mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shotgun Mount
    Posted: February/26/2011 at 17:17
I would like to mount a scope on my Mossberg 500.  My Receiver is not Tapped and was looking at the B-Square saddle mount.  Does anyone have this mounted and how do u like it, thank u

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 19:19
I used that mount for about a season with a rifled slug barrel years ago. Worked well.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2011 at 07:51
Have you thought about having it tapped?  This is fairly common, cheap and easy for a Smith to do.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Danrod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 07:11
Was concerned with tapping the alum receiver. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 07:34
A good smith shouldn't have any issues with doing it.
Danrod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 16:54
thank u
Danrod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 16:58
any particular  rail I should get, I am looking to mount a 1 -5 power type shotgun scope. maybe to use up to 100 yards. Right now only have a front bead. Eye sight no as good as it use to be.  And by the way thanks for the suggestions
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2011 at 19:07
Greetings All. My first post. Registered a couple weeks ago. Learned of this sit from a friend   who suggested this might be a good place to learn about glass. I think he was right.

I think I can contribute to this topic. I'm  in upstate NY, slug  country.
Some years ago a local smith developed this mount :  http://damargunsmiths.com/application_charts.html  
It is also in the Brownells Catalog.
As you can see, it utilizes the upper corners of a shotgun's receiver where the stock is the thickest to anchor the mount,  good thinking ! 

I was just looking over the applications cart, M-berg '835' & '9200' are listed, but the '500' isn't, but you can always call to check. And with a dedicated slug gun w/ a detachable barrel I'd consider 'pinning' the the barrel.

That's all I got.

H-M
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 06:58
Originally posted by hatton mann hatton mann wrote:

Greetings All. My first post. Registered a couple weeks ago. Learned of this sit from a friend   who suggested this might be a good place to learn about glass. I think he was right.

I think I can contribute to this topic. I'm  in upstate NY, slug  country.
Some years ago a local smith developed this mount :  http://damargunsmiths.com/application_charts.html  
It is also in the Brownells Catalog.
As you can see, it utilizes the upper corners of a shotgun's receiver where the stock is the thickest to anchor the mount,  good thinking ! 

I was just looking over the applications cart, M-berg '835' & '9200' are listed, but the '500' isn't, but you can always call to check. And with a dedicated slug gun w/ a detachable barrel I'd consider 'pinning' the the barrel.

That's all I got.

H-M

Welcome H-M. Good info there. I hunted upstate NY for years with slugs. The last few were with a scoped shotgun with a saddle type mount. This one looks like a better design. I still use a Win 1300 occasionally, but "my" county (Steuben) went rifle a few years ago. Anyway, thanks for posting and good luck in NY! Big GrinExcellentBig Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 09:36
Shotguns are not ideal for longer distances the saddle mount will work OK having the reciever drilled and tapped for a specific sight can work if you are going to always keep it in that configuration and not use it as a bird gun as the mount would get in the way if you took the scope off. Probably the best solution is to buy an aftermarket rifled barrel with the cantalever rail attached to the barrel.  Or better yet just buy one of the single shot rifled 12 ga NEF that has the weaver base already on the barrel.  With a  shotgun where the scope mounts on the reciever and the reciever and barrel are not pinned there is some play there that effects accuracy and you typically remove the barrel to clean from the rear so each time it goes back on it could effect point of impact.   Muskets are a better tool for longer distances.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2011 at 21:40
Hey bugsNbows,,,
Never hunted StuebenCo., Beautiful area.  I was hiking on some state land pre-season back in  in the 80's, Pulteney (?),,the place was rotten w/ deer sign,,,my dog was giving me that 'turn me loose boss' look.
Had to scrape the deer droppings off'n my boots.

To the Jedi Master; (been wanting to meet my imaginary friend after all these years),,,as you have not defined 'long distance', let's say it's relative. A friend of mine used to compete w/ a 'Brown Bess' for the U.S. International Muzzle Loading Team', at the 'Gold Medal' level,,,you must have a pretty good musketAmerican Flag
The smith who markets that saddle mount has been working on slug guns a long time. He's talking 200 yds. ,,,being effective w/ slugs at such a distance when I started shooting them was pretty much unimaginable. 

To me, that is long distance for a 'slug'.
Slugs,,,and slug guns have come a long way in the last quarter century or so. Anyways, I think they have.

H-M 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/25/2011 at 12:08
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2011 at 11:43
sammie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 21:18
I had one on my 870 Wingmaster.  It wasn't bad.  Only thing is if your gun gets wet from rain...it will rust under the mount unless you can get it dry.  If you take it off to dry you induce some alignment error when you re-install it so you'll have to resight
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic