OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NF Scope Setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeinArizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NF Scope Setup
    Posted: February/26/2011 at 11:00
Hello all SWFA members I am new to the forums. I just purchased a pof-308 20 inch barrel AR-10 and after trying to get all the information I could on scope optics, I decided to go with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x 56mm scope, with Mil Dot reticle. 
  I am pretty new to guns. Owning a Benelli m4, glock 17, and an AR-15 with eotech sights and 3x flip to magnifier prior to this 308. I have a problem of getting into hobbies or things to fast and to much way over my head. Those guns are pretty simple, I just need some help with this more complicated scope.
First Question is do I need to have a gunsmith mount my scope? for it to be level etc? I bought a JP single piece rings for mounting because I understand if you remove the scope you do not have to re-sight it. 
Second question is in relation to the eye piece focus setup and the manual states to set paralax to infinity magnifaction to 15x maximum, then twist the eyepiece clockwise till the reticle becomes blurry then back it out to where it is not. The problem is it never becomes blurry but the background is blurry. How do I focus the background? the manual states that it is for the reticle focus and not background focus... what does backgrounding focus then?
I have some pictures too I put it on the rings to make sure the 56mm objective would fit on the gun. 
 Also how far forward should it be mounted? I got it to where I think I like it for the different stock positions. 
Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 11:25
Nice gun, nice scope.

Be aware that some purists will tell you your rifle is not an AR10 as "AR10" is an Armalite rifle designation.  Yours is a P308.

The answer to the first question depends on your level of comfort and your toolkit.  At a minimum, to mount your scope properly, you need a torque wrench and a few levels (or a torque wrench and a set of feeler gauges.)  If you have the minimum necessary tools, use the search function to find a method of mounting that you like.  It is fairly simple.  If you do not have the necessary tools to properly mount the scope, that complicates things.
A gunsmith can mount your scope, if you are not comfortable performing the task.  How well he will do it is a function of your gunsmith's skill.  If you have a good smith, he will do a good job - it isn't particularly difficult.

I would NOT let  a gun store mount the scope. I have seen more mistakes made by "gun professionals" than I have by newbies mounting a scope for the first time.  (Newbies tend to under-torque their screws, for fear of damaging the scope; gun store employees usually have no such fear.)

When removing and remounting the scope, there will always be some change in point of impact.  No one can (credibly) claim to sell a mount with an absolute 0 change in POI.  So, always confirm zero after removing and remounting the scope.

Second question,most scopes have a focus ring on the ocular, your scope has no such function.  When you rotate your ocular, the power changes.  As such, you have no reticle focus function.  That your reticle is always clear is a good thing.  To focus the background, use the parallax adjustment on the left side of the saddle.  If you are unclear on parallax, do a search, it is a relatively simple concept that needs to be understood.  It is much less an issue at close range, but becomes dramatic at long range.

Yours is a nice scope.  I am a Nightforce fan, I have owned that same scope and really liked it.  The glass is good enough and the mechanicals are very near perfect (or should be, as that is the Nightforce reputation - and has always been true with my scopes.)

Let us know how the setup works for you.  I like POF rifles, but have no experience with their 308 series.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 12:06
Jake welcome to the OT Forum.

Edited by Kickboxer - February/26/2011 at 12:07
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:18
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Nice gun, nice scope.

Second question,most scopes have a focus ring on the ocular, your scope has no such function.  When you rotate your ocular, the power changes.  As such, you have no reticle focus function.  That your reticle is always clear is a good thing.  To focus the background, use the parallax adjustment on the left side of the saddle.  If you are unclear on parallax, do a search, it is a relatively simple concept that needs to be understood.  It is much less an issue at close range, but becomes dramatic at long range.

I believe that statement is incorrect.  On the NXS line there two knurled sections on the ocular.  The second one is a lock ring (the one closet to the ocular lens) and follow the instructions in for the diopter adjustment in the manual.  What this adjustment does is it allows the reticle to be in sharp focus for your particular eyesight.  It is independent adjustment from the parallax adjustment.

Respectfully,

dsr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:21
Ahh, OK.  I have sold all mine (and never read the directions.)  As  he stated the crosshairs are always in focus, he too has no need of adjusting the focus.  I never needed to adjust mine, else I would'a read the directions (maybe.)

Thanks for pointing that out.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:27

No, problem.  The first time I shot with a Nightforce NXS scope it took a while to get use to turning the whole ocular bell to change power.  It always seemed that the diopter was loose.

Regards,

dsr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:29
I see the ring now, never touched mine, never needed to.

To the original poster, don't touch the ocular focus, it isn't what you adjust to make the target clear.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - February/26/2011 at 13:30
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 15:30
STOP THE PRESS!!!!! I'm HIJACKING for a sec how can JakeinArizona post pictures when he only has one post????? something fishy here lol
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
JakeinArizona View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeinArizona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 17:43
Hey guys thanks so much for the help -:) I was messing with it last in my house which was a big mistake
There was not enough light and distance for me to dial it in. Today I tried it outside and what a huge difference
I changed the eye piece diopter settings lock ring thingy alot but the retinue seems really clear.
Also I didn't post pictures or upload them I just clicked on attach image and I had to use a URL from photobucket, due to the fact I could not upload to the forum directly... So u are actually seeing the images from photobucket and not the forum. Anyways I really really an grateful for your help. I
Hopefully I can go test it out and sight it in soon and take a few pictures!
Don't worry the zombies are looking for brains, you're safe..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic