OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Extreme budget scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme budget scope
    Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:19
Hi!

I just got my rifle and now I need a riflescope. The original idea of getting a Vixen/Meopta/Kaps or something similar fell apart after I had to pay for some stuff(new computer, driving licence...) so I'm looking for a very cheap scope, just enough that I will be able to shoot my rifle(it has no iron sights). I have about 100 - 150 dollars. What would you recommend me (again, the riflescope will be good enough if it will not fall apart when I'll take a shot, the gun is chambered in .308 Win). It would be super if the scope had a 30mm tube, as I already purchased the mounts, but getting a 1" mount shouldn't be a problem. Personally I was looking at Bushnell's Trophy XLT 1.5-6x44 which has a 30 mm tube and costs about $150.

Thanks.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:44

Here's a VERY GOOD read for you:

That Trophy XLT scope should do you more than just being "good enough".  NICE reticle to.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
hogdiggity View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogdiggity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 11:06
The Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 is on sale for less than $150 many places.  I did not like the Trophy XLT I looked through, nowhere near as clear as the Elite.
GO Hogs!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 11:19
If you can find the 3200 for under $150.00, this would be a great no compromise scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
FegelVuzela View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 11:50
I was looking to get the Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40, but it would cost me $250 including shipping and mount rings. I still think I'll go for the Trophy XLT... . 

@lucytuma: I'll see what I can find, thanks for the note. 
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:06
You actually have some very acceptable options:

Call SWFA or go to their ebay auction site. They have some of the original Pentax 3-9x40 pioneer's on sale for $129. Excellent scope and is equivalent to fullfield ii. Just make sure it was built in the Philippines.

There is a burris 3x9 timber line on the sample list for $119

Go to the swfa site and order a sightron SI 3x9 for $129 or a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 for $99

And if you are really looking low $ there is a swift 3-9 on the sample list for $59 and I have heard some decent things about them.

Weaver quad loc rings are $11.95 and are good sturdy rings

any of the above with a set of rings and shipping s/b $150 or there abouts except the swift and prostaff for about $25-50 less. I would go with the pentax as I have one and think you will be hard pressed to do better for the $$

Edited by powderburn - February/26/2011 at 13:10
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:16
You must understand that it is quite difficult to get a store that shipps stuff worldwide. Some do, but the shipping cost are very high, and I read numerous reports of packages not being delivered when cheaper delivery methods were used. I'll look up the Pentax though, thanks for the tip Smile.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 13:53
What about Vortex Crossfire scopes? Are they any good? I'd like to point out again that I only need a scope so that I'll be able to shoot(the scope will not be used in dusk or dawn, I will not shoot at really long distances, I just want to put a few shots into the target to see how accurate the rifle is). I would not get a scope at this time but as I mentioned I have no iron sights so.... For me the cheaper it is the better - I was also looking at Tasco's World Class 3-9x40 scope, it costs just $50....
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 15:07
I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to where you were. That's my bad. I have a co worker that has a tasco world class 3-9x40 and it is on his main deer rifle and has given him reliable service for the past 4-5 years. I have one of the silver antler 4x tasco's that I got on a trade and just use in situations like your's where I have a new gun and no scope for it/ It has done a good job for me for that purpose.

Edited by powderburn - February/26/2011 at 15:11
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 15:47
Thanks for understanding & the intel on Tasco. I've narrowed down to Tasco World Class 3-9x40 and Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.5-6x44, and I have to say, looking at it I think I'll go for the Bushnell, mainly because it has a 30mm tube, so I don't have to buy another set of mount rings(although it wouldn't be a problem, since they cost arond 10-20 dollars...), but what is more, the Bushnell has a 1.5 min magnification, which would be usefull in really thick bushes, and a 44mm objective which theoretically should give it the edge in low light(yea I now I said I won't use it in low light but stillBig Smile). On the other hand, Tasco is half the price of Bushnell....
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 15:50
Out of those choices, you made the right one.
-Matt
300 ultramag View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300 ultramag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 15:55
my nephew bought a vortex crossfire its pretty dang nice for a 100 dollar scope its on a 243 and we put 300 rds through it so far and hasnt lost its zero
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 16:07
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I hope so. If it will be ok then it will defenetly stay on the gun or at least in the locker, if not... then I'll just buy something elese. Smile
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 16:14

GOOD LUCK to ya!  Keep us updated if you would.  We can use all the "in the field" experience we can get.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 20:56
Originally posted by FegelVuzela FegelVuzela wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I hope so. If it will be ok then it will defenetly stay on the gun or at least in the locker, if not... then I'll just buy something elese. Smile

+1

And an FYI I do not believe that SWFA ships outside the USA.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 21:12
If it helps you I just had delivered a NIB 4-12x40 Bushnell XLT with the DOA reticle for a great price from a private sale, the fellow wanted to go with more XXX.
Was going to put it on a .22 Mag. After checking it out against a new 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite 4200, I was pleasantly surprised with it's clarity and brightness.
I may now put it on my .243 and take better advantage of the DOAs holdover qualities.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 22:42
I have a couple of the bushnell trophy's and have had no problems as of yet. actually seems like a pretty decent scope for the money.
dodge111 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodge111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 23:17

Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X II Rifle Scope DEMO-b

http://www.samplelist.com/-P2179.aspx

BSA 6-24x40 Contender Rifle Scope DEMO-B

http://www.samplelist.com/-P44.aspx

or check out
complete kit with cantilever mount
http://swfa.com/BSA-4-16x40-Mil-Dot-Riflescope-Kit-P47578.aspx

good luck with the hunt & let us know what you end up mounting....

race/ride support 2011 & beyond
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 06:27
I'll get the Bushnell(although Vortex Diamondback seems to be quite good if not better than Bushnell, but I'll stick to my choice). Thanks for your help guys! Excellent
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FegelVuzela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2011 at 16:29
OK, it took me 9 months but I finally managed to pull it off, I bought the Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.5-6x44 and got my hands on it today (ordered it on Saturday one week ago, arrived yesterday, so it took just over a week to ship here). From what I've seen so far, it seems to be quite a good scope. Fells nice, the image is clear and bright, the reticle is superb, so far I haven't noticed anything that would disturb me. I managed to put this together (please read the description before you criticise me Big Smile): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr5B6W0W8cA

A few things I've forgot to mention in the video: 

1. I said the magnification ring feels like it has sand in it instead of lubricant, it's not so bad, it just feels like you're rubbing metal against metal. Same goes for the fast-focus eyepiece.

2. The scope seems to have some tunnel vision when I use 6x magnification. It doesn't disturb me though. 

3. It's not as heavy as I say it is, it just seems heavy to me Smile

All in all, from what I've seen now, it seems to be a very nice scope for $130. I will test it tomorrow to see what the optics are like.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic