OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

After market stocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After market stocks
    Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:11
Switched out my BDL wood stock for a SPS synthetic.  Tired of beating up the nice wood and I'm getting to like the feel of synthetic.  So I got a take-off stock and mounted my barreled action.  The synthetic stock is pretty flimsy and was wondering about having it bedded.  But now I'm wondering about just getting a "decent" stock.

What is you opinion of this one:

Hogue riflestock - pillar bedded Model #70000.  I don't want to spend what it takes to get a McMillan - want to keep it around a $100.00.
take em!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:18
they are pretty nice. I have used a few. It takes a second to get use to the way t feels but they are nice.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:20
ive got one on my .375H&H, and i really like it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:39
Tip, take a metal rod, threaded or unthreaded about 10-12" long and bed it down into the forend of the stock and it will stiffen it up, thats what I did to my houge stock that came on my SPS and it made a world of difference.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:48

I just took the plastic stock off my 700 SPS Stainless and installed one of these.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/DAKOTA-HUNTER-REMINGTON-700-BDL-SHORT-ACTION-p/700-008.htm

Took about 2 minutes to swap it out and it looks and feels great. If I scuff it up, I can always spot sand it and buff it out with some rouge. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:58

I think it looks good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

700 SPS Stainless .308  Vortex Diamondback 4-12 x 40 scope. 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 16:05
Could look for a used Remington Ti take-off as well. They're made by B&C and are pretty good stocks as well.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:10
I like the Boyd's stocks.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 19:10
Nice rig there, Neil!!
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 20:28

Thanks T

I retired my dad's 788 and figured I may as well get something pretty decent. Big Smile

Only able to shoot 75 yards at a friends place so far, so it's not dialed in as well as I want it, but felt recoil is A LOT less with the Boyds. They got it to me plenty fast and it fit perfect. I'm very happy with Boyds.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 21:46
I like that Boyds!
-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 22:47
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Thanks T

I retired my dad's 788 and figured I may as well get something pretty decent. Big Smile

Only able to shoot 75 yards at a friends place so far, so it's not dialed in as well as I want it, but felt recoil is A LOT less with the Boyds. They got it to me plenty fast and it fit perfect. I'm very happy with Boyds.

you did what????Shocked
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 23:01
Yup, cleaned it, oiled it, and put it in the back part of the gun safe. It's a shooter, and I've taken several animals with it, but the old man has been gone since May 2005 and it's time for me to retire his rifle. It's not an hierloom piece or anything, just a plain ol' 788 .308 but it's been lots of places,  killed lots of game, and has shared some really good times. Salute
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 08:05
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Could look for a used Remington Ti take-off as well. They're made by B&C and are pretty good stocks as well.

+1    Quite a few guys switch out to McMillans.

Looks GOOD,Neil!   Boyd's are NICE stocks.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:02
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Yup, cleaned it, oiled it, and put it in the back part of the gun safe. It's a shooter, and I've taken several animals with it, but the old man has been gone since May 2005 and it's time for me to retire his rifle. It's not an hierloom piece or anything, just a plain ol' 788 .308 but it's been lots of places,  killed lots of game, and has shared some really good times. Salute

ive got a 788 of my own, and i love that rifle, its ugly, but very accurate. mine is a 22-250.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2011 at 11:46
I am getting a Manners MSC-T1 for my LTR 308
within a week or so I should be putting the stock up for sale in the classifieds for sale
camo painted, limbsaver pad installed

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 13:58
Was is a LTR?
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 14:04
Remington Light Tactical Rifle
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 14:16
I couldn't find anything regarding that stock on Rem's website.... what are the specs?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2011 at 15:27
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic