OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how to select a scope ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My name is Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to select a scope ?
    Posted: February/25/2011 at 05:36
I didn't notice a newbie or a read this first post so I hope you don't mind these questions.

I am looking to get back into hunting and some target shooting.  I live and will hunt in Missouri and will use this rifle for deer.  I have 99% settled on a Savage Axis .308.  They offer a XP model that comes with a scope but I have heard I should just buy a better scope.

I can't imagine shooting at over 300 yards, that seems a long way to me, but I can't figure out what magnification I need.

I read that this is a good scope - Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10x50 V and can get it for $160ish

So question, what magnification would I want for ranges between real close and out to maybe 3 or 400 yards?

Also, using any night vision or light beam projected on an animal is not allowed, but I wonder if illuminated scopes fall into this category?

Thanks for any help.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 06:02
Welcome to the OT.

You will need nothing more then a 2,5-10 or 3-9.
For inside 50 yds anywhere from 2x to 4x will work fine.
For up to 300 yds 8x till 10x.
For 400yds 9x till 14x

Depends on size of targets you wish to engage off course. A target of 8 inches x 8 inches and the magnification indicated will be good to go.

I think the scope you are suggesting may be marginal regarding optical clarity.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 06:07
Frankly imho you would be better off to purchase a good 2-7 or 3-9 variable and call it good but that's just me and I am pretty old school. Depending on your budget but there are plenty of nice reliable scopes in the that category for $150-$250. A couple of good prospects are the vortex viper 2-7 that is on sale right now or the burris fullfield ii both are about the price of the crossfire you mentioned and i think better scopes. There is a good thread on this forum by Koskin that compares some of the lesser cost 3-9 variables that I suggest you read. I really can't think of a reasonable deer hunting situation that these scopes wouldn't handle.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 06:32
I'd agree that a scope with a 2-7 or 3-9 would seem a good fit for Missouri hunting (based on having lived there and my annual visits in recent years). Most places I've seen there offer limited sight distances and fairly thick cover. You'll have to check with the MDC to see if illumination is legal. I had to do the same thing here in MT, but between the regs and asking a game warden I was able to determine that illuminating the reticle is legal here while illuminating game is not.
Reaction time is a factor...
My name is Dave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My name is Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 06:54
thanks for the info guys, I'll be doing a lot more research on scopes now before I get one.

Price range is up to 200 - 250, can I find a good illuminated one around there ?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 07:21
IMO there are not many, if any, "GOOD"  illuminated scopes for less than $250 out there.  You will not need illumination just the proper reticle for low light hunting.   The 2-7 Vortex Viper would be my suggestion for you, plenty of them in use and very few complaints, backed by a transferable lifetime warranty and you got yourself a winner.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/25/2011 at 07:21
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 07:50
if you dont wanna spend a lot of money look at the redfield 3x9
http://swfa.com/Redfield-3-9x40-Revolution-Rifle-Scope-P44468.aspx

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 07:54
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 07:57
I had this scope, it has illumination, and it held up the second go round.
I did  review here -
http://opticstalk.com/vortex-crossfire-2510x50-and-nd3-combination_topic23434.html

The good thing about it is with the lifetime warranty, i worried less if it broke.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 08:14

Welcome

Howdy Dave

You might give this one a look. 

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P10984.aspx

I've got one mounted on a Sako .243 and like it a lot. That 2-7 viper on sale for $169 is also a very clear scope. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 09:32
Welcome to OT Dave! I also would recommend the 3-9x40 Burris FFII or the vortex viper 2-7x32.
I have both, and you simply can't go wrong with either.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My name is Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 08:29
I'm thinking of just going with a cheap one now just to get used to shooting with a scope, dialing it in, different ranges, and once we get near deer season I'll have saved up for a much nicer scope.

That being said, am I going to notice that much of a difference between Burris and Nikko in these lower price ranges?  I could not find the thread started by koshkin on lesser cost variable scopes.

These are some scopes I like

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfield-E1-Rifle-Scope-P48174.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-3-9x42-Diamond-30mm-Riflescope-P12046.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-35-10x44-GameKing-Riflescope-P40414.aspx

thanks again for the help.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 08:51

Out of those 3 I personally would go with the Burris hands down.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:16
Originally posted by My name is Dave My name is Dave wrote:

I'm thinking of just going with a cheap one now just to get used to shooting with a scope, dialing it in, different ranges, and once we get near deer season I'll have saved up for a much nicer scope.

That being said, am I going to notice that much of a difference between Burris and Nikko in these lower price ranges?  I could not find the thread started by koshkin on lesser cost variable scopes.

These are some scopes I like

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfield-E1-Rifle-Scope-P48174.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-3-9x42-Diamond-30mm-Riflescope-P12046.aspx

http://swfa.com/Nikko-Stirling-35-10x44-GameKing-Riflescope-P40414.aspx

thanks again for the help.

If I were you, I would just plan on using the one that comes with the package deal from Savage until you can afford a better one.... No sense buying 2 cheap scopes!  If you can save $400.00 - get the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40.  It has a great low light reticle (you really don't need illumination) and great glass... not much can compare for the 4 bills!  You will be set for anything the "Show Me" state has to offer and then some.
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My name is Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:26
why on earth did I not even think of that?  lol.  I'll check out that scope too.  Thanks, you just saved me from wasting cash cause I wasn't using my brain.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 09:58
Saving for a Conquest is always a smart move.
-Matt
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2011 at 10:36
+1
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic