OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meuller Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbirdlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meuller Scopes
    Posted: February/24/2011 at 23:11
First of all howdy all.  I'm a newby here.

Secondly, how many fans of Meuller scopes do we have here.  I've got two 4-16 X 50AO on my rifles (with the sun shades) and am really impressed.  A friend has a sports shop and has had Swarovskis, Leupolds, and all the other top name German or American scopes on his rifles and preferred those made by Springfield Armory.  He can't get those now (building for the military) so he puts Meullers on his rifles.  He could put anything made on them and he feels Meullers are the best there is.  He also is a dealer for them now.  I bought one from him (he sells for too much) and another recently from SWFA (great price).

So am I all alone or do others like these things?  I replaced a 3-9 X 40 Nikon Monarch with my first Meuller.

WBL
Exitwound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exitwound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 06:28
 I've done a bunch of research on them and they seem like good scopes for the price. I've seen a few of them mounted to M1A's on other forums, with hundreds of rounds through them, so that should tell you something about their build quality.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 07:25
Originally posted by warbirdlover warbirdlover wrote:

First of all howdy all.  I'm a newby here.

Secondly, how many fans of Meuller scopes do we have here.  I've got two 4-16 X 50AO on my rifles (with the sun shades) and am really impressed.  A friend has a sports shop and has had Swarovskis, Leupolds, and all the other top name German or American scopes on his rifles and preferred those made by Springfield Armory.  He can't get those now (building for the military) so he puts Meullers on his rifles.  He could put anything made on them and he feels Meullers are the best there is.  He also is a dealer for them now.  I bought one from him (he sells for too much) and another recently from SWFA (great price).

So am I all alone or do others like these things?  I replaced a 3-9 X 40 Nikon Monarch with my first Meuller.

Are his initials RC?  (inside joke)

Really, claiming that the meullers are better than Swarovskis or top name German is kinda like saying a new ford Fiesta is better than a Lambo.  Loco
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 09:46
I like the one mueller I have quite alot! ..... but I seriously doubt it is on par with Swaro or Zeiss.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 14:08
I was at the range shooting my 7-08 with Vortex Viper 2-7X32, and the guy a few spots down had a Meuller on a .243.  It was an AO illuminated 4-14 model.   He chatted me up and told me Meuller was started by a Nightforce engineer that wanted his own company.  I told him I did not know that. Whacko I took a look through the scope and thought it had a decent budget scope view.  It showed a lot of CA and lost resolution at higher powers.  The illumination was bleeding all over.   He came over and looked through the Viper, and agreed the overall image was cleaner and sharper through the viper.

I told him to go to SWFA.com.
-Matt
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2011 at 16:54
OK... Here's my experience with a Mueller 4.5-14X40 APV. I am 53 years old and I don't trash my gear. My hunting rifle scopes are almost 30 years old now and still ticking. After 3 years, my APV started shooting high. Windage was dead on. It simply started shooting 8" high from where it had been set.

I sent it back to Mueller. They called me up and said I had bent the tube. I don't even remember bumping it!

If you take a look at their warranty literature and their manual, it discusses bent tubes extensively. They even suggest taking your rings apart and rolling the scope in the bottom 1/2 of the rings to check for wobble before you bother sending it back.

IMHO, Mueller knows that their tubes are relatively fragile. They offered me a great discount on any replacement, but I passed. The guy that bench tests their returned scopes says that all Mueller 1" scopes use the same basic tube, regardless of price. That was enough to warn me off their entire product line.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic