OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need a mil-dot scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a mil-dot scope
    Posted: February/24/2011 at 06:20
Would you all recommend a low priced mil-dot scope to teach my grandson to shoot from a mako savage 22lr?  Something for my grandson to start off with and then progress to something better.  Thank you in advance.  P.S. my budget is limited right now (who isn't like that lol)
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:07

What's the budget, and is there a certain magnification range you were looking to go for?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:16
The $99 vortex crossfire special?
coronel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:46
does the crossfire vortex have good optics?
coronel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:48
Magnification of 3-9x50 or 3-9x40.  Price range under $100.
Midwest_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midwest_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:49
For a $99 scope, its great. And it's covered by a lifetime warrenty.
coronel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 10:59
Thank you mid-westhunter on your opinion on the vortex-crossfire scope.  I did some internet research and some guys thought the optics weren't that good. If i could please ask you if you had any experience with this scope or know of anyone that has had any experience with this scope.  Thanks in advance and thanks for your quick reply. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 11:23
I just have to ask... WHAT exactly is your expectation for a $100.00 rifle scope?  This would be considered to be on the lower end of the grading scale...

If your expectations are unrealistically high, you will always be disappointed. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
coronel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 12:42
Expectations are not high just for a learning experience using mil-dot reticles.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 13:51
While over $100.00, the SS 3x9x42 is a heck of a scope.

It offers mil-dot in the first focal plane, it's built like a tank, and also has a no B.S. warranty.  While it is more money, it would be a scope that would last a lifetime.  It would also be worthy of moving it to a bigger rifle down the road.  In the long run, you might save money.  Instead of buying a cheap scope now and a better one later, you might consider just getting a great scope right off the bat.  The "buy once, cry once theory".

Just my .02 cents.

I really like my SS!

It's sold only through SWFA and can be bought for a little cheaper with a discount code.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 14:28
Originally posted by coronel coronel wrote:

Thank you mid-westhunter on your opinion on the vortex-crossfire scope.  I did some internet research and some guys thought the optics weren't that good. If i could please ask you if you had any experience with this scope or know of anyone that has had any experience with this scope.  Thanks in advance and thanks for your quick reply. 

All scopes under $100.00 optics are not going to be that good. That is way people pay more for better optics and sometimes a lot more.
Gerald Baker
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 15:09
OK, my experience with the Crossfire is limited.  I don't own one, but sometimes wish I did.  Either the glass is better or it is better designed/constructed than my BSA Sweet 22 (which I really LIKE, BTW) because at similar magnifications, the Crossfire is "cleaner" than my BSA... I only paid $49.99 for it and it performs better than I expected.  Crows have learned that the 10/22 is deadly at 100+ yards and don't come within range of it.  It's funny, because they fly within 20 or so yards if I am carrying my .458 Lott, but they stay well out of range of the 10/22.  Crows are pretty smart critters.  I sometimes wonder if I should be "hunting" something that intelligent.  But, that is somewhat off subject.  I can't speak for durability, but everyone I know with a Crossfire likes it.  I know a guy, just an acquaintance, who has one on a 30-06 and he has never had any trouble with it, but he is not a frequent shooter.  Sights in for deer season, shoots a few deer.  I don't know how long he has had it.  Crossfire appears commonly, at ranges I frequent, on .22's, 22-250's, .243's.  Once again, I've only played around with one, but adjustments seemed reasonable.  If I needed a .22 scope, I would not hesitate to purchase a Crossfire.  
The thing with "low end" optics is you have to be willing to invest more effort than you would with higher cost/better optics.  You have to be wiling to exercise the warranty until you get a "good" one.  They are not all crap, they are not all junk, but SOME are... you might get one where the QC guy was on break all day, or hitting the bottle, or whatever QC guys are doing when they are letting hundreds of items that should not pass get to market.  You are taking a chance and betting you will be on the positive side of the equation.  I'm lucky, so I don't mind taking the chance every now and then.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 17:17

If I were going to spend 100 bucks on a mil dot scope, it would be this one.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-9x40-Sport-HD-Riflescope-P48462.aspx

For the money, it's really not a bad scope. I have 2 of the Crossfires, and am hoping both sell at a friends table at a local gun show 03/05-03/06

With the Hawke you can get the scope and mounts and stay under your budget. Good on ya for wanting to teach another shooter. Thunbs Up

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 18:22
Good call neil,Hawke gives alot of quality for a few bucks.Their CS is also top notch!I bought a Hawke Frontier afew years back when they were being made in Japan,excellent 2-10 scope with MD for $150.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 18:43
Thanks Stickbow  I have a couple of Hawke scopes and am really happy with them. 
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 18:55
coronel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coronel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2011 at 22:53
You all have given me some great input.  I sure had never heard of the Hawkes scope.  I did a bit of research.  If I am not mistaken I take it was originally engineered in England.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic